• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3600x and 3080 FE

Soldato
Hi all,

So I made the mistake of watching a youtubers video on a 3080 with a i10900k at 5ghz who was getting much higher frames than me at 1440p ultra. (180 avg versus 130 avg)

My options as I understand are to get a Ryzen 5 when released and wait for the bios patch for my b450 or to buy a second hand 3xxx which would be a good saving when people look to upgrade.

Would any of the 3xxx series give me a decent boost to fps at current? The main game im looking at is BFV which loves a high GHZ and my 3600x tops out at 4.2.

Soldato
Hi all,

So I made the mistake of watching a youtubers video on a 3080 with a i10900k at 5ghz who was getting much higher frames than me at 1440p ultra. (180 avg versus 130 avg)

My options as I understand are to get a Ryzen 5 when released and wait for the bios patch for my b450 or to buy a second hand 3xxx which would be a good saving when people look to upgrade.

Would any of the 3xxx series give me a decent boost to fps at current? The main game im looking at is BFV which loves a high GHZ and my 3600x tops out at 4.2.

At 1440p you will be bottlnecked in some games. I don't think there is a 3xxx chip that will improve the situation.

Your options are to increase resolution or turn up settings to reduce the bottleneck or switch from the B450 board in 2 weeks to either B550 or Intel. You could wait for a B450 bios but all information suggests that will be January at the earliest and some motherboard manufacturers can be quite slow.

What memory you running?

Soldato
OP
130 FPS is a problem? OK then, if you really must spend money then wait for Ryzen 5000 and a BIOS update.

130 fps isnt a problem but its not 144 which I was hoping to achieve with the hop. Its also about future proofing for the next releases, as id like to be ready for them.

At 1440p you will be bottlnecked in some games. I don't think there is a 3xxx chip that will improve the situation.

Your options are to increase resolution or turn up settings to reduce the bottleneck or switch from the B450 board in 2 weeks to either B550 or Intel. You could wait for a B450 bios but all information suggests that will be January at the earliest and some motherboard manufacturers can be quite slow.

What memory you running?

Thanks at 1440p ultra I am getting about 70% cpu usage, 70 to 90% gpu. Ram is 3600 stock.

4k will drop the frames to what I have now and I have nothing else to turn up (on this game anyway)

Last edited:
Associate
130 fps isnt a problem but its not 144 which I was hoping to achieve with the hop. Its also about future proofing for the next releases, as id like to be ready for them.

Thanks at 1440p ultra I am getting about 70% cpu usage, 70 to 90% gpu. Ram is 3600 stock.

4k will drop the frames to what I have now and I have nothing else to turn up (on this game anyway)
It's not worth an upgrade to go from 130 to 144 FPS.

I would wait until better value Zen 3 chips are available, at least, before even considering an upgrade.

Soldato
Are you not running a G Sync monitor to cover off those 13 frames? That's probably more "future proof" than pushing for a CPU upgrade. Especially if you get a "G Sync compatible" Freesync monitor then you're not tied to Nvidia when you next upgrade your GPU.

Soldato
I wouldn't waste time increasing settings or upping the resolution as it could create other issues. You're naturally going to get a CPU bottleneck at triple figure frame rates. If the game plays fine then just turn the frame counter off and enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom