• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 prices creeping up daily...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
People are surprised? The 3080s and 90's also steadily creeped their way up as well so not sure why this is surprising to some. Standard gpu launch for the most part, crank the prices whilst firing out the usual excuses.

Caporegime
I love how the exchange rate is always touted as the reason for price rises, yet when the exchange rate improves the prices never fall back down as quickly as they went up (if they even come down at all).

Because then the reason is "but we bought them at a higher price". As I said, always an excuse to justify it.

rn2

rn2

Associate
Dunno what articles you were reading, but 3070 was always advertised as being £450 minimum, (3080 £650) so anywhere saying anything else was trolling. (Also 1070 was £400 and there’s no way 3070 was gonna be cheaper).

I bought my 1070 new when the prices were lower a few months later for £350 :) then they were £400 again when bitcoin mining began.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
it was my first rig, back in 98/99ish then we moved up to an Athlon 1400, I remember the feeling of breaking the 1ghz barrier, I felt like a champ!
Yeah, I remember that also, was awesome getting a 1ghz cpu. After that I got the Barton 1.4GHz that overclocked well. I would always go AMD and never got intel until core2duo came out. AMD had lost the plot with pricing at that point.

Associate
Yeah, I remember that also, was awesome getting a 1ghz cpu. After that I got the Barton 1.4GHz that overclocked well. I would always go AMD and never got intel until core2duo came out. AMD had lost the plot with pricing at that point.

Yeah my dad paid a fortune for one of the AMD FX55 cpus, I think I paid half the price for an e6600 and it stomped all over it. Them core2duo processors were ballers!

Associate
Dunno what articles you were reading, but 3070 was always advertised as being £450 minimum, (3080 £650) so anywhere saying anything else was trolling. (Also 1070 was £400 and there’s no way 3070 was gonna be cheaper).
I cant remember either but I distinctly remember reading 3070 would be 300~ or maybe even less and people were going barmy about it

Soldato
The 3080 cards were still increasing in price on here minutes before and after sales went live. Saw a few people mentioning they had more money come out than they had invoiced as someone hit the increase button a second before it was purchased.

Expect the same thing to happen with the rest of the Ampwhere tiers.

Associate
Just wait until Big Navi and the consoles are released ?

Nvidia's strategy has been totally transparent... ?

Get the cards to market first and get hype built up, restrict supply of 30xx, so 20xx still actually sell because retailers still have lots of old stock to shift.

Next part of it will be increasing supply to compete with Big Navi and the consoles and in time for Christmas, remains to be seen how much stock has been held back and will be suddenly released ?

What I'm wondering is if whatever AMD releases is similar performance to 3080 and 3070, cheaper and consumers 100w+ less power, will we see an avalanche of cancelled pre orders ?

Associate
OP
The 3080 cards were still increasing in price on here minutes before and after sales went live. Saw a few people mentioning they had more money come out than they had invoiced as someone hit the increase button a second before it was purchased.

Expect the same thing to happen with the rest of the Ampwhere tiers.

Yea but the reason given for that was exchange rate differences between 1st batch of cards (bought when £ was stronger) and subsequent batches (bought when £ was weaker).

Right now, the £ is at a 6-week high (£1=$1.31) yet prices are still going up, so I’m definitely not buying the “exchange rate” excuse any more cos they clearly don’t bring prices back down when the £ is performing well..

Price is dictated by one thing and one thing only: supply & demand.

There are nowhere near enough cards available to meet demand, so nvidia are free to charge as much as they want as long as some rich desperate fools are willing to buy still.

I guess the answer is to not buy one at £500+ and wait it out... might be a long wait though!!!

Associate
Asus would have to remember to actually make and send cards at some point!

Haha what a joke I only paid 689 for the 3080, Although it's only a Zotac trinity with only 5% power headroom without a bios but £30! Who the **** in the right mind would pay more than 500-550 for ANY 3070 need their heads testing if you aske me.

Soldato
Yea but the reason given for that was exchange rate differences between 1st batch of cards (bought when £ was stronger) and subsequent batches (bought when £ was weaker).

Right now, the £ is at a 6-week high (£1=$1.31) yet prices are still going up, so I’m definitely not buying the “exchange rate” excuse any more cos they clearly don’t bring prices back down when the £ is performing well..

I don't think anyone who wasn't born the day before was believing the exchange rate nonsense.

It's not the first time we've heard that though in the history of OCUK launch price increases and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Associate
OCuk just have such bad luck, always without fail buying their stock when the exchange rate isn't advantageous. I completely agree, anything much over £550 makes it hard sell. The £600 cards are mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom