Check out the prototype Thermosiphon cooler

Associate
It did better than an AIO by a couple of degrees but with a stupidly high fan volume and speed. At noise normalised speeds it was worse IIRC

Aah right, I just recall one of the tech tubers using the giant prototype but im sure fans were either silent or off and it was performing better than aio's and custom loops... then again I have a memory like a sieve...

Associate
Aah right, I just recall one of the tech tubers using the giant prototype but im sure fans were either silent or off and it was performing better than aio's and custom loops... then again I have a memory like a sieve...

tested it on threadripper with normal sized AIO's which are well known to be poor on Threadrippers. The fans created 57db of loudness which is really quite bad TBH. With the fans noise normalised it performed the same as the noctua NH-U14 TR4 cooler.

Soldato
In my opinion NH-U14S TR4 didn't do very well. Silver Arrow TR4 did much better
HardZOCP testing on 2950X under
NH-U14S TR4 cooler throttled at 185.7w @ 68.1c
Silver Arrow TR4 throttled at 202.16w @ 68.3 TY-143 fans at NH-U14S fan speed.
Silver Arrow TR4 throttled at 231.64w @ 67.8c TY-143 fans at full speed
Custom loop w/ XSPC throttled at 249.7w @ 67.8c​
I give wattage throttle point because that was maximum watt load 2950X reached before throttling. Throttle temps ranged from 67.8c to 68.3c.

Associate
The fans look like rebranded Arctic P12's, but their spec is listed as max 2300rpm, which is more than Arctic list them on their product page.

Their thermal paste application is...different.

Soldato
I spy with my beady eyes...

A quad fan cooler put up against a single fan cooler.

Linus tech tips apparently can't afford to replace the TR4 AIO that broke months ago so they used a $400 custom water loop which beats this but happens to be a big enough number to make the thermosiphon look good value.

I'm thinking to myself that a 240 rad AIO with a TR4 plate and quad fans would have been the correct comparison and cost less too.

Does it seem fan inefficient to anyone else that this cooler design sticks 4 fans in the middle of the motherboard and you'll still need more fans to exhaust and intake around it.

Soldato
OP
Linus tech tips apparently can't afford to replace the TR4 AIO that broke months ago

The Liqtech? That model is known to be faulty. Gamers Nexus did a couple of pieces on it.

I spy with my beady eyes...

A quad fan cooler put up against a single fan cooler.

So what? That single fan cooler beat out other multi-fan coolers. Did you watch the video? He said that you should only buy this cooler if you have a Threadripper CPU.

Soldato
The Liqtech? That model is known to be faulty. Gamers Nexus did a couple of pieces on it.

Watched all of the complaint videos ages ago including the revised ones which still failed.

So what? That single fan cooler beat out other multi-fan coolers. Did you watch the video? He said that you should only buy this cooler if you have a Threadripper CPU.

So? Did you actually read my post or just stop at that line?

I'm thinking to myself that a 240 rad AIO with a TR4 plate and quad fans would have been the correct comparison and cost less too.

It's the largest tech channel and they had an excuse instead of the most appropriate cooler to compare to. I saw zero value in them including a "$440" custom loop, saying it wins but that it cost more.

I believed it was obvious this was about cooling threadrippers since I said the correct cooler comparison should have been an AIO with TR4 plate.

Soldato
Yes. There's only one (unless you DIY) and that's the Liqtech.

Except that's not true. I could get a not-liqtech delivered tomorrow.

I was looking at TR4 AIOs after watching that LTT video and feeling unimpressed they didn't bother getting a working one for the comparison.

For example: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml240-rgb-tr4/

I could get that delivered for £90, two more fans to match the 4 on the thermosiphon would add a bit, should still be less.

Soldato
Nah its a different design.

Thankfully.

And yes there's a 360 version but like I said I reckon the 240 with 4 fans would be a more even comparison to the 4 fan thermosiphon sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom