Can't afford school meals for kids, but billions for homebuyers, sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Everyone saying no, I assume you refused child benefit?

Pretty early in life I realised that I won't be able to have the lifestyle I want and also have children so made the conscious decision to not have kids (I'm also not very paternal either as after about an hour or so I'm bored of them and send them back to their parents), so I didn't even get offered child benefit to be able to refuse it.

Soldato
What was the cost for this? I would pay more taxes to make sure every child had at least one good meal a day.

The government already provides parents with enough funding to feed and cloth children and provide free education. Not to mention the benefits provided to the lowest income families. If the parents are still not feeding their children then I'm not sure we can really blame the government can we? Are we really at a level of society whereby the government must physically feed children because the parents won't do it?

Soldato
The government already provides parents with enough funding to feed and cloth children and provide free education. Not to mention the benefits provided to the lowest income families. If the parents are still not feeding their children then I'm not sure we can really blame the government can we? Are we really at a level of society whereby the government must physically feed children because the parents won't do it?

I think we are..

Soldato
OP
I think you'll find the government have already given the money it takes to feed and clothe children but the parents don't spend it on that and this is why you'll never get rid of people with hands out asking "please can I have some more", until they are forced to buy the essentials they'll continue to fritter it away on luxury items (yes I'm including tobacco and alcohol in that) and then hope someone will bail them out with schemes like free meals.

Until we have some sort of test to allow people to breed then kids will be born to lifes eternal spongers who will keep taking and taking until it's stopped being given to them. Unfortunately it's against someone's human rights to stop them breeding but nobody has thought of the human rights of the unborn child who will endure years of hardship because of the gravy train their parents choose to try and hop on.

This money is not paid to parents, it was about directly feeding children through school meals.

What was the cost for this? I would pay more taxes to make sure every child had at least one good meal a day.

About £20m per week.

Associate
Okay, if you want the government to feed your kids give up a portion of the child tax credits at £60+ per week per child that parents get, not forgetting child benefit as well. Is it a case of no money for kids food or just that the parents are spending it elsewhere

Soldato
With Coronavirus, and the economic harm that is doing to swathes of the population then it's completely mad that the government are refusing to fund free school meals for those in need during this time.

Many families are struggling, and this is only going to get worse with further cuts to wages. The argument about not having kids if you can't afford them doesn't carry weight at the moment. The fact that someone has been able to afford kids whilst working at a restaurant/as an office cleaner/as a pilot/etc doesn't mean they can if they have now lost their income. Some extremely out of touch people on here.

I'm not advocating for free meals for ever, but certainly cover them over the winter months to ensure that these kids have one good meal a day. I completely understand that we shouldn't be funding it in normal times, but right now? I can't see why we shouldn't be. Especially with how little it costs.

From what I understand, every country in the UK are funding it bar England...

Soldato
This money is not paid to parents, it was about directly feeding children through school meals.

The parents have already been given the money in the form of benefits to provide food and clothes for the children, it's how the parents choose to spend the money already provided to them that's the issue here.

How many children who are hungry have parents who smoke and/or drink, have Sky TV, smart phones, tablets and other such tech that are not as essential to a human beings survival as food?

The issue is and always will be the way parents spend their money, did you miss the news bulletins where people who had been given school meal vouchers during lockdown were trying to buy alcohol and tobacco in the supermarkets and when refused were kicking off?

Caporegime
It's a pickle. The kids shouldn't be punished because of the feckless wastes of space that fail to provide for them. Likewise, nor should the taxpayer. I didn't have the kids so why should I pay for the failure of someone else?

This is why I'm generally in favour of some form of testing before you're allowed to procreate. No child should have to be raised by parents who will never be fit to do so.

Soldato
Wah Wah Wah, government not giving me everything for free. Me no want to work to pay for things. Government pay food for kids. Need free food. waa waa waa.

There is already a benefit system in place for those facing hardship,, the government already provide funding to raise children, those who most need support will receive it already. This free school meals nonsense will be going to those who may necessarily not need it and very likely won't be deserving of it. Responsibility to raise children MUST be on the parents, not the taxpayer.

Having children is a responsibility not a right.

you need to stop reading the dailymail before you combust.................

Soldato
Okay, if you want the government to feed your kids give up a portion of the child tax credits at £60+ per week per child that parents get, not forgetting child benefit as well. Is it a case of no money for kids food or just that the parents are spending it elsewhere

The trouble is, why should the kids suffer because the parents spend the money on other things? I don't have kids myself, but I do have nephews. What should I do if their mum decides not to feed them? I can't do anything. If I could pay more taxes to cover a hot meal at school I would, and for any child. A child is a dependent at the end of the day.

Soldato
It's a pickle. The kids shouldn't be punished because of the feckless wastes of space that fail to provide for them. Likewise, nor should the taxpayer. I didn't have the kids so why should I pay for the failure of someone else?

This is why I'm generally in favour of some form of testing before you're allowed to procreate. No child should have to be raised by parents who will never be fit to do so.
Yep, we'd have been spared William and Harry if that had been in place at the time.

Caporegime

You're missing the major aspect that some parents just don't care.

Soldato
OP
I don't. It's eagerly fueled by posts like yours.

You could have focused on the issues, but instead you chose to judge people solely by their age.

The issues primarily harm one generation and benefit another, again and again and again. Pretending there’s nothing to see won’t make it go away.

Soldato
It's their fault for being poor! We must focus on giving money to bogus companies and paying people £7,000 a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom