Hero Quest

Soldato
Soldato
There was a "25th Anniversary" edition of some unnofficial description in the works previously.

I was looking through some old posts only yesterday and happened upon the old thread which someone posted about it in. As far as I can tell, from a brief search, it's never actually been finished, but was legitimately being attempted:

http://www.gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/en/89-heroquest-25th-

Anyway, I'd probably avoid this one and try and get one of the recent kickstarter ones. If possible outside the US.

Associate
£150 quid - good job it never cost that much when I was a kid as I never would have played it. Looks like they have done a good job on the models.

Soldato
I can remember going into Woolworths and seeing Hero Quest on the top shelf of the toys and the £22.50 price tag, this was big money at the time. I had a bit of Birthday money and then saved weeks of pockets money up and seem to remeber taking the last copy about 5 or 6 weeks later as the summer holidays were just coming to an end. Opening that box for the first time was pure magic.

What a game, I still have my copy, It's something I can never ever part with along with my Fighting Fantasy books.

Inflation calculator says it would have been equivelent of about £55.00 at the time which seems about right.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hasbro is a £12bn company, they can afford to pump out 22,000 versions of monopoly a year there's no chance in hell I'm Kick-starting this for £150. Why's it my responsibility to get it made :confused:

Soldato
OP
Good question DampCat.

Perhaps Hero Quest is more of a nostalgic game than one of todays mainstream boardgames?
And they didnt want to invest in something which they were unsure if there was a big enough market?
So they put it to the test as a kickstarter...
Clutching at straws probably, for me, its next years Christmas present and a game which I hold to heart. Yes £150 is on the hefty side but with all the bits and bobs, addons/expansions, and the reworked models etc.
It probably works out a similar price considering the time value of money...

Soldato
It's a shame because I would love a copy of it, but I can't in good conscience buy into this sort of corporate greed. It's just passing on the risk to customers. Call me old fashioned but if you're in the business of making products, it's really on your shoulders as to wether it's risky or not.

This is the board game version of paying for demos early access.

Perhaps I'll buy it in a sale from a retailer later on. I hope it's good.

Soldato
Gloomhaven usually makes its way to retailers after each print run and costs (approximately) the same, although it's in such high demand it tends to rise. Getting your name down at your FLGS helps. I got mine from Amazon for the KS price + £10, which I didn't mind too much, although I'd rather it had been my FLGS getting the extra cash.

Edit: I forgot to make a point. It was that I'd imagine HeroQuest would be the same, assuming Hasbro will try and sell it to retailers as well.

Back
Top Bottom