• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rumour: 3080 20gb and 3070 16gb cancelled

Caporegime
What does the performance of the 6000s have anything to do with it. The 3080 could be a potato in comparison and no amount of Vram is going to make any difference.

Odd how people equate vram amount to performance. It only plays a factor if its physical ram amount is exceeded.

Associate
Amd haven't won anything yet They haven't even launched. Weve seen time and time again amd promising so much and well coming up short. Whilst i do expect amd to compete with nvidia i very much doubt they will beat them on everything. Nvidia have shown there hand its AMD time now to show what they have have And i bet they will come up short BUT price the cards accordingly 50-75 dollars cheaper with 95% of the perfroamce outside of ray tracing And they will have a halo product prices much higher then the 3080

AMD have won already even if their cards flop, Nvidia has rushed out a launch, lowered prices massively and are looking kinda bad at the moment all because they wanted to play a high risk game launching before they were ready. The damage has been done so yes AMD have won this round.

Rom

Rom

Associate
Isnt the 3080 pushing over twice the terraflops of the PS5 and Xbox? What is there to be afraid of? Console is never going to outperform high end PCs. The card costs more than both systems!

Associate
Isnt the 3080 pushing over twice the terraflops of the PS5 and Xbox? What is there to be afraid of? Console is never going to outperform high end PCs. The card costs more than both systems!
The 3080 also has double the tf of the 2080ti
, That doesn't translate into double performance since they've inflated the numbers this gen

TrM

TrM

Associate
AMD have won already even if their cards flop, Nvidia has rushed out a launch, lowered prices massively and are looking kinda bad at the moment all because they wanted to play a high risk game launching before they were ready. The damage has been done so yes AMD have won this round.

i really do not agree with this at all. Yea the launch is bad but the amount of people still waiting with preorders and the amount of people still rushing to buy the stock from other stores there sold out within minutes maybe even a single minute. Nvidia have hyped up the card and 8nterest/ preorders etc for a 700£ product of nvidia has been much higher.

we haven’t even got to the cards that normally sell the most we’re missing the mid range cards.

this is far from over. And take it from someone who owns a 3080 the card is really good

Associate
i really do not agree with this at all. Yea the launch is bad but the amount of people still waiting with preorders and the amount of people still rushing to buy the stock from other stores there sold out within minutes maybe even a single minute. Nvidia have hyped up the card and 8nterest/ preorders etc for a 700£ product of nvidia has been much higher.

we haven’t even got to the cards that normally sell the most we’re missing the mid range cards.

this is far from over. And take it from someone who owns a 3080 the card is really good

Whilst I agree that certainly doesn't mean AMD has won (let's see what big navi is even capable of as I'm expecting the usual better value lower performing cards) the 2080 series and now the 3080 series launch has in my opinion significantly damaged my opinion of Nvidia, though with AMD likely to under perform yet again I will eventually have to give my money back to Nvidia.

The 2080 was a cash grab, for those running a 9 series or older card they may well have gotten something out of the 20 series but those of us on the 1080ti's looked at the 20 and saw it for what it was, a card that barely outperforms it's predecessor with a substantial increase in price making it effectively a cash grab to fund Ray Tracing development, let's face it 20 series Ray Tracing performance is abysmal.

So with the 20 series essentially being a 10 series with a bolted on ray tracing chip most people skipped the series.

So now we arrive at a decent card (as you say) that people have waited up to four years for and Nvidia underestimate demand failing to make GPU's in advance to prime it for launch and then release it just before Golden Week when the factories in China shut down.

Unfortunately I'm expecting Big Navi to be the usual mediocre offering that the AMD graphics division is capable of (even though their CPU division is finally looking like it might beat Intel).

If I have to wait until February for a card I'll have missed the only two big title games that I could really make use of the card on (Cyberpunk 2077 and AC Valhalla) and being potentially less than 6 months away from buyers remorse means Nvidia will have lost my money and I'll wait an additional 3-6 months for a 3080 series refresh (likely May to August 2021).

Stock for that refresh will likely be easy to come by as almost no one paying these prices is going to upgrade in less than a year.

So the best I can do is hurt Nvidia's fiscal year a little as I hope many others not fortunate enough to get their hands on a 3080 choose to do. Though ultimately they'll barely notice the financial hit as it's no doubt been a bumper launch of a card and to drastically misjudge stock requirements some idiot at Nvidia must have believed the 20 series launch was successful so the 30 series launch is going to have them grinning like a Cheshire cat.

Hopefully someone there has a brain and checks the pre-order numbers versus the actual sales of the series to realise that cancellations due to insufficient stock cost them a fortune.

Last edited:
Associate
For those that have gotten their hands on a 3080 already or will do so shortly you made a good choice and you should be happy with your card, I would be.

For those of us who missed the boat (I was away on business for a couple of weeks when it launched and didn't lift my head up from my work, also did not anticipate Nvidia's incompetence with a 4 month stock shortage) the more time passes the more it makes sense to wait for the refresh or suffer buyers remorse when your card becomes obsolete in short order.

Associate

I see where you are thinking but you are missing vital parts, people are still buying (READ:Pre ordering, the cards don't actually exists in any quantity) the 3080 and desperate for it because it makes sense as it's currently the only option and why not wait in line just in case AMD flop?

Mark my words come the 28th there will be a market shift, the pre order's will get canceled and AMD are going to take a huge market share even if it's only until Nvidia can get the Ti/Super's to market early 2021.
The evidence is there just Google it.

I know AMD have not delivered the last few generations, but you only have to look at how much Nvidia knee jerked the early launch of the 3080/90 to see Nvidia clearly have inside information about AMD's upcoming launch and it worried Nvidia enough to paper launch and I know some people think this is just Nvidia not anticipating demand, but the truth is this is Nvidia being forced into moving it's time line up many months due to the offerings from team red.
Nvidia are used to being ahead from a technical standpoint and being able to just shut AMD out the GPU market each generation and this is what's caught them out this time, either AMD juked Nvidia or truly have something.

So either AMD pulled a master stroke and dont have the cards to beat the 3080/90 and have fooled Nvidia into looking bad with an early and forced botched launch AMD=won this round.
Or AMD do have cards to beat the 3080/90 about to drop meaning AMD=won this round.

What will happen around the 28th and following weeks is a forced price drop of Ampere card's because:-
1. AMD beats Ampere and is going to be slightly cheaper (due to reduced manufacturing costs and the ability to position better in the market).
2. AMD matches Ampere, again at reduced cost making the Ampere cards not look such a great prospect, possibly Ampere holds value but AMD takes market share from the general buyer not the elitist.
3. AMD produces a flop card vs the 3080 (really don't see that this time personally), Ampere holds value but looses pre orders still due to AMD offering such a budget value prospect and the lack of any really availability of Ampere and people being hungry for an upgrade if it's 2080Ti performance at £400 there are allot of people going to jump on that who didn't join the £1200 2080Ti fail train.

You only have to look at Nvidia's posture right now, they behind the scene have conceded this round to AMD, doesn't matter what card AMD offers to market come the 28th, Nvidia is aiming for 2021 now not 2020.
Which ever way you spin it AMD won this round, the evidence is there, and no I'm not an AMD or Nvidia bias.

It's great AMD have done this or you would be paying £1200 for a 3080 msrp, and 2022 the 3080Ti/super would land again for £1200-1500.
Even if you are a die hard Nvidia fan you have to be stupid to not appreciate what AMD have done for the consumer Q4 2020!

Associate
What will happen around the 28th and following weeks is a forced price drop of Ampere card's because:-
1. AMD beats Ampere and is going to be slightly cheaper (due to reduced manufacturing costs and the ability to position better in the market).
2. AMD matches Ampere, again at reduced cost making the Ampere cards not look such a great prospect, possibly Ampere holds value but AMD takes market share from the general buyer not the elitist.
3. AMD produces a flop card vs the 3080 (really don't see that this time personally), Ampere holds value but looses pre orders still due to AMD offering such a budget value prospect and the lack of any really availability of Ampere and people being hungry for an upgrade if it's 2080Ti performance at £400 there are allot of people going to jump on that who didn't join the £1200 2080Ti fail train.
4. AMD card is worse than Nvidia and dont have the stock either as they prioritise CPU and consoles.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Wow the Nvidia zealot cult arrived haha thanks for proving my point boys, and that I can't teach stupid.

why because people have a different view then you so we’re zealot and stupid.

Your facts just like mine are based on our own views and not cemented in facts. You USE leaks to prove you point that you THINK amd has won. I am a 3080 owner and until amd gpu priced in the same tier as mine wins in all areas (performance price features) then I will admit amd has won. I will even put it on here with me holding a amd graphic card.

but we don’t know how the chips will fall in November or December all I know is I’m playing cyberpunk 2077 maxed with full ray tracing at 4K the day it drops I will also be playing watch dogs on the launch also what will you be playing?

Associate
Wow the Nvidia zealot cult arrived haha thanks for proving my point boys, and that I can't teach stupid.
Please point me in the direction of the last good AMD GPU release?

My zealot view is skewed by history. I'm not saying it won't change this time but you have to concede it may not meet your expectations based on previous amd releases.

Associate
Please point me in the direction of the last good AMD GPU release?

My zealot view is skewed by history. I'm not saying it won't change this time but you have to concede it may not meet your expectations based on previous amd releases.

Completely agree, I started with Trident 2d Graphics cards in 1990, added separate 3d cards, then Voodoo cards (Voodoo 2 12mb SLI was epic). Despite trying the ATI Rage series of cards I moved to Nvidia with the RIVA TNT 16 and the TNT 32, finally onto the first Geforce card (Then labelled Geforce 256) the Creative Annihilator.

Since then I've always wanted ATI (and later when they became AMD) to be competitive but each time I've bought a card they have disappointed greatly and whilst I watch each AMD release with interest they always fall short beating Nvidia only on value for money.

I genuinely want Big Navi to destroy the 30 series, even if I owned a 3080, competition is good, I'll go where the better card is, if AMD could compete at the top end Nvidia could no longer rest on their laurels and would have to put in serious effort and drive the whole industry forward.

Unfortunately experience tells me it's unlikely that Big Navi will be a 3080 killer, still AMD might have finally broken Intel's hold on CPU's, one day they're going to have to hit the mark with the GPU's.

Back
Top Bottom