Show us your kitty cats

Caporegime
Here's a question for the room:

Does anyone else's cat really like licking Sudocrem off their, let's say arms, even hours after the application?

Bella started licking my, let's say arm, furiously this afternoon, and at first I was like, "aww cute, giving me a bath coz she loves me." Then I remembered hours ago I'd put some Sudocrem on a sore spot.

There must be something about the stuff.

Associate

Does anyone else's cat really like licking Sudocrem off their, let's say arms, even hours after the application?

Bella started licking my, let's say arm, furiously this afternoon, and at first I was like, "aww cute, giving me a bath coz she loves me." Then I remembered hours ago I'd put some Sudocrem on a sore spot.

I have a cat also called bella

Caporegime
I have a cat also called bella
I can't take any credit for that, she was called Bella since birth and I never wanted to change her name. Had she been called Gertrude it might have been different :p

Her full name tho is "Her most royal highness Princess Bella, mistress of all she surveys, extractor of treats".

Associate

Oh yeah, your "arm"

Soldato

Babies arm yeah? Holding an apple?

Man of Honour
I've noticed something with Angel. As some may recall we inherited her from my late mother and she was a rescue cat before my mum had her. We've had her 11 months now and in that time she's become much more loving towards us. The amount of bunting against my legs is unreal :) She's quite an old cat now (16 years). She never really plays much and we had assumed that was due to her age (never owned a cat before so we are learning too). But recently she's started playing with me which often ends in play bites with her laying on her back and grabbing me with two or four paws. It's lovely. To start with they would hurt but now she's really gentle and it's very playful like a little kitten. But after a few seconds she jumps up scared and runs away just out of arms reach. It's as if she's worried we will get cross.

Knowing my mum I think it's very unlikely she would have "told her off" for such playful behaviour. So I'm wondering whether her previous owners weren't pleasant to her when she played with them. It's like she wants to play but then is scared to. I always make a point of letting her come to me again and then stroking her so she knows I'm not cross. But as I said, I don't have much cat experience so I'm playing this by ear.

Soldato
@Hades Nothing to worry about imo - I've had cats do the same. I always interpreted it as the "chase me" game they play as kittens. Just reach your arm out with the hand down for her to come back to you and if she doesn't then she got bored of the game and you have been discarded as a toy (for the moment!). Our current cat generally does this as a prelude to getting us to follow her to the food bowl :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
My cat (well the wife's) does the same thing. I can guarantee that he's never been punished for anything.

@Hades Nothing to worry about imo - I've had cats do the same. I always interpreted it as the "chase me" game they play as kittens. Just reach your arm out with the hand down for her to come back to you and if she doesn't then she got bored of the game and you have been discarded as a toy (for the moment!). Our current cat generally does this as a prelude to getting us to follow her to the food bowl :rolleyes:
Thanks. Good to know.

Man of Honour
I've noticed something with Angel. As some may recall we inherited her from my late mother and she was a rescue cat before my mum had her. We've had her 11 months now and in that time she's become much more loving towards us. The amount of bunting against my legs is unreal :) She's quite an old cat now (16 years). She never really plays much and we had assumed that was due to her age (never owned a cat before so we are learning too). But recently she's started playing with me which often ends in play bites with her laying on her back and grabbing me with two or four paws. It's lovely. To start with they would hurt but now she's really gentle and it's very playful like a little kitten. But after a few seconds she jumps up scared and runs away just out of arms reach. It's as if she's worried we will get cross.

Knowing my mum I think it's very unlikely she would have "told her off" for such playful behaviour. So I'm wondering whether her previous owners weren't pleasant to her when she played with them. It's like she wants to play but then is scared to. I always make a point of letting her come to me again and then stroking her so she knows I'm not cross. But as I said, I don't have much cat experience so I'm playing this by ear.

It will eventually pass as she builds trust in you. When we took on Garfield almost a year ago if we were indoors (didn't do it outdoors) and went up to him too quickly and held out our hands to give him a stroke he would cower as if he was afraid of being beaten. Knowing his scumbag ex-owners (one is a alcoholic) that is entirely possible. After everything he has been through he now trusts us and rarely does it. More often than not he comes running with his tail up in greeting. Occasionaly he will cower from the wife but he has a weird relationship with her. He sit's or lies down just staring at her. It's very off putting and like he's staring through her head and out the back. It's also mostly when she is next to me so it may be a "whay are you next to my human" thing.

Talking of Garfield, we actually had some good news last week. He was booked into the vets for a check up to see how his kidney disease was progressing. For those that don't know his story you can catch up here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here (please excuse the essays). She took some blood to send off for testing and said she will phone us with the results as soon as they come in. She also said that his blood pressure and heart are noraml and that his coat is in a great condition and he seems very happy. She did confirm what a thought and he has lost half a kilo so we will have to see if we can get that back on.

The vet phoned back in the evening and told me that the toxins in his system have dropped since March and that the urea and lipids(?) were still above the normal levels but lower than when he was ill. The phosphates on the other hand were back to normal and she was at a loss to explain how. She genuinely seemed to be as happy as I was about this news and told me to keep doing whatever we were doing for him. I know that eventually we will lose him but this puts that day a bit further away. Back in March I never thought we would be hitting the one year anniversary of taking him in but on the 28th of November that is exactly what we will be doing. :)

Last edited:
Soldato

All cats do that they don't necessarily like their belly rubbed something to do with being vunerable there I imagine. They should relax eventually

Man of Honour
"Owning" Garfield is such a emotional roller coaster!! He has been off his food for the past couple of days and hadn't eaten anything at all since Tuesday night. Even Abby seemed to know that something was wrong as she let him within a foot of her on the bed last evening (it was funny watching them flick their tails over each other). He seemed all right in his self as he still jumps up for cuddles and plays with his toy mouse so it wasn't like the previous times he was ill. Still, seeing as he has terminal kidney disease I can't help but think the worst and have been feeling very emotional the past 24 hours. Breakfast time this morning I tried something different and warmed his favourite food in the microwave for 25 seconds. Took it up to him and he emptied the bowl which is something he never does in one go. Cue a huge feeling of relief and more tears. He is turning me into a right mess.

Last edited:
Soldato
pm

Sorry to hear about all the problems Garfield is having - Do your best but it's very difficult to know when the end comes - We knew with Holly when she just slept -went to litter try and ate - She didn't do anything else. - We could see that was it and this was a year ago and I am filling up now.

We have just come back from the Vet with Ronnie - He has been shaking his head and walking with his head dropping to the left and he didn't like us touching his ear. (Holly had cancer in her ear) so we took him today and his ears are blocked up -So back on to a very practiced routine of putting drops down his ears - both of them just to be on safe side vet said.

Back
Top Bottom