Ridiculing Peers for their Accent?

Soldato
OP
Why do they owe anything to the people of Durham...

Funnily enough, the guy I was speaking to yesterday about this said that among his mates, there is a number who have some hostile views aimed towards the students. But as he said, they do bring money into the local economy, employ local people, broaden the local community, etc. Whilst a number of these cases that are severe are rare, it seems that a number now doesn't just go down as friendly banter but has a more sinister tone. Maybe people have just forgotten how to be people?

I mean, I even introduced myself to two new students today as being the local one, who you'll probably not understand from time to time. :D

Associate
How come it's always really posh spoken people, like Boris or Cameron who end up being elected by the regular citizen?

It's not like we ever get a Cockney or Scouser as PM, is it.

Caporegime
Class distinction by accent leads to bullying?

My god who would have thought it.

People get attacked for being different? Omg this is such news to me, I'm speechless.

I get the p taken out of my everyday for my accent and terrible pronunciation.

I'll have a good cry later.

Soldato
I'm originally from Durham and over 25 years ago got in a "disagreement" in one of the college bars with someone who called me a commoner, and suggested my friend who was attending that college should be thrown out for being from Manchester.

I got my degree without my parents paying for it was one of the things a remember saying while grappling with the annoying toff, who held onto my leg like a some sort of small child, or a horny dog. Not my proudest moment in hindsight but we all do stupid things when were young.

Durham students for as long as I can remember have had the reputation of being stuck up, annoying, oxford and Cambridge rejects living of mommy and daddy's cash. Its a shame that there are that element that make this reputation stick when it is truly a minority.

Over the years there have been so-many bad press articles I can remember, ranging from abuse of cleaning staff in the halls to open racism, its no wonder Durham has always had a "town vs gown" attitude.

Caporegime
I'm originally from Durham and over 25 years ago got in a "disagreement" in one of the college bars with someone who called me a commoner, and suggested my friend who was attending that college should be thrown out for being from Manchester.

I got my degree without my parents paying for it was one of the things a remember saying while grappling with the annoying toff, who held onto my leg like a some sort of small child, or a horny dog. Not my proudest moment in hindsight but we all do stupid things when were young.

LOL, sounds well deserved, certainly very silly to say things like that if just intended to outright insult/argue with someone rather than in jest.

Did you go to Durham Uni too or were you just drinking there with your friend?

Soldato
I went to Teesside poly/university, born in Durham city though and lived there while I grew up and while I studied in Teesside. I had many friends who were Durham students, some I'm still in contact with even today.

Like I said its a shame that a loud and annoying minority create an image that covers everyone.

Back
Top Bottom