My reasons for opting for a Series X over a PS5:

Better Backwards Compatibility

Compact Design

Game Pass

Larger SSD

More Powerful

Smart Delivery

Zenimax Acquisition

I still can't believe I am opting for xbox. It wasn't even on my radar and was blindly going to pick up a ps5.

But I think Ms have done a bang up job on value side.

Being a bit more powerful will probably help in a slightly smoother experience for a while for cross platform games.

Will also get a ps5 some time , but it's not going to be my primary this gen.

Soldato
I still can't believe I am opting for xbox. It wasn't even on my radar and was blindly going to pick up a ps5.

I think that is what Sony is expecting a lot of people to do, considering they've made no real attempt to get people in an influencing capacity to talk about it unlike Microsoft. It's probably going to bite them in the ***.

Soldato
My reasons for opting for a Series X over a PS5:

Better Backwards Compatibility

Compact Design

Game Pass

Larger SSD

More Powerful

Smart Delivery

Zenimax Acquisition

Before spending an additional penny on any game, I can play all these. Added the Witcher as it's getting a next gen patch next year too, so wouldn't mind revisiting it!

OuzEq3j.gif

Soldato
Anyone else when they heard about the nvme drive and it had mentioned raw and compressed speeds thought perhaps the games will be compressed so utilise less space? Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've seen some posts from people saying their orders are being prepared. Very, Game etc. Anyone here had any changes to their stock status?

I've also read that Curry's emailed someone to say their order won't be delivered on release due to stock issues, and another that said apparenty there are going to be more pre-orders up within the next few days or so. It really is difficult to sort out the truth from the trolls. I'm not sure what to believe now, but I do honestly think that they'll release the console early and I'll be very surprised if they're not able to fulfil all pre-orders given how tightly they've been controlling them.

Caporegime
OP
Anyone else when they heard about the nvme drive and it had mentioned raw and compressed speeds thought perhaps the games will be compressed so utilise less space? Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

I don't really know but I'll guess anyway and say that it's only the textures (being compressed with BCpack) that will make any difference to the size. I don't know if compression of sound files makes much difference?

Associate

Being a bit more powerful will probably help in a slightly smoother experience for a while for cross platform games.

I'm in a very similar position. The vast majority of games I play are multiplatform, and you can all but guarantee they'll run better on XsX........oh, and I am loving the thought of playing through the entire HALO series again.........however, I still need me some Sony loving for a few of their exclusives.

Controller has a big impact for me too - love the XB controller for racing and FPS games, but PS for FIFA and fighters.

I had intended to get both on launch day, but a house move means I'll end up with neither. However, I expect to get both as soon as available after I move.

Associate
Got a Series X coming for me on launch along with a Series S for my son. Really getting excited now, being able to share Game Pass over both consoles is great! So much value.

Also my brothers have ordered a Series X as well for launch, they both been PS4 this gen but the value of Game Pass and the Zenimax stuff has pushed them over to Xbox again :)

Soldato
Find it quite surprising that pre-orders have sold out, yet there are still consoles available for those upgrading their "All Access" sub. Are they holding stock for everyone who had a One on AA or something?

Soldato
Had an email yesterday confirming my Series S is ready for collection on release day. I'll grab it on my way out the door when I finish work at 6pm. Streamlined! :D

Soldato

I only have a PS5 pre order in, for simple reasons of:

Mates buying them too
Want to play the exclusives (GT7, God of War, Horizon forbidden west etc)
Prefer the controller

However... I'm still tempted by a Series S on all access at £21 a month, as a pure gamepass machine. Will see how the comparisons come out vs PS5/SX and how much I play over the next few months.

Caporegime
OP
Associate

I think Sony are a bit complacent upto now, they seem to be relying on brand loyalty, where's Microsoft have gone all out in every sense, originally I planned to get PS5 first then series x next year or when the big games release, but I have pre ordered the series X instead and will get a PS5 when games that really interest me release (the only game atm is spiderman but even that's got me a bit meh)
The Zenimax acquisition nailed it for me, I'm a big elder scrolls fan so that in itself is a system seller for me (Hopefully Oblivion will be back on game pass with auto HDR etc :D)

Soldato
The only grumble I've got with Series X is the big games are still some way off. The only things on the radar for next year are Halo and Psychonauts, plus maybe Flight Sim (depending on what the dev schedule is like) and Starfield (rumoured for 2021). Unless they're hiding some big surprises, it looks like the next gen of Xbox won't get underway (from an "exclusives" point of view) until 2022.

OTOH, it does mean there's likely to be a glut of big games in 2022/2023. The Zenimax acquisition takes Xbox to 29 in-house teams. With a 4-5 year average dev cycle, that's enough teams for ~6 games per year...

Man of Honour
The only grumble I've got with Series X is the big games are still some way off. The only things on the radar for next year are Halo and Psychonauts, plus maybe Flight Sim (depending on what the dev schedule is like) and Starfield (rumoured for 2021). Unless they're hiding some big surprises, it looks like the next gen of Xbox won't get underway (from an "exclusives" point of view) until 2022.

OTOH, it does mean there's likely to be a glut of big games in 2022/2023. The Zenimax acquisition takes Xbox to 29 in-house teams. With a 4-5 year average dev cycle, that's enough teams for ~6 games per year...

Yup, it’ll be worth a little bit of patience. In the meantime I have a decent backlog to catch up with...and cyberpunk and AC :). Having not had many big games release there’ll be a time when it sounds like we’ll get many.

It’ll be frustrating if a more powerful iteration drops just before the new titles having only had backdated games on this batch of consoles.

Last edited:
Associate
Microsoft have taken a similar route to a Windows update - they release a new version every so often to take advantage of technological advances, and all the software you had previously continues to work (just better and faster), and all the new software takes advantage of those advances.
Xbox = Win95
Xbox 360 = WinXP
Xbox One = Win Vista
Xbox S/X = Win10

*the less said about Millenium the better :D

Back
Top Bottom