Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Caporegime
I purchased a De'Longhi Dedica about 5 months ago now, loving it but struggling with consistency and how much to put in?! I don't really have time to weigh it each time before work, the spoon they give I do a full flat one of those but it always feels not enough?

The truth is that you can’t get round it, some beans weight more so sometimes 3 scoops is just right, sometimes is too much, sometimes not enough. You just have to spend that extra 10s to weight it.

Soldato
The truth is that you can’t get round it, some beans weight more so sometimes 3 scoops is just right, sometimes is too much, sometimes not enough. You just have to spend that extra 10s to weight it.

OK I'll get some scales, any cheap entry ones that are good? What's a good weight to aim for?

Caporegime
OK I'll get some scales, any cheap entry ones that are good? What's a good weight to aim for?

The right size that fits your basket, it depends how large your basket is. Generally enough to fill it flat across the top, and after tamping it has enough clearance to clear the shower screen so that it's not touching.

As for the scales, regular jewelry scales will do, you want something to do 0.1g accuracy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t know about anyone else, but for me, spending time making a coffee is enjoyable and therapeutic, as any hobby might be. Weighing is just part of that.

One of my colleagues was asking me about how I make coffee when I mentioned that I got an espresso machine again, and when I explained, he just said, ‘oh, that takes far too long, no one really has time for that’. I like taking the time out from work or whatever to do it! It’s not always about speed.

Then again, maybe I’m just weird :D

On another note, I’d like to improve my milk frothing skills. Does anyone have any guides they could recommend? I generally drink espresso but I know friends will ask me for lattes etc when visiting, and I’d prefer not to flail too much :p

Caporegime
Tip of the wand in deep enough to make a noise like tearing paper, do this for ~20seconds to induct air into the milk. Known as "stretching". You'll just need to practice with how much air you need/like. Then move wand a little deeper until noise stops. Continue to steam until base of jug is hot.

Positioning of wand is also key, you want it about 1/3rd from center and enough if an anglento induce a vortex, but you also want the milk to tumble over the bulb of the wand too.

Soldato
is this a decent grinder?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-K...ocphy=1007366&hvtargid=pla-747641695615&psc=1

I've used the Hario Skerton manual ceramic burr for years now....used to quite like doing it manually but it's become a pain now so looking for a cheap electric that will give similar quality grounds

was given one of these for xmas but no real control over how coarse/fine and the grounds get stuck under the blade....there's no container that lifts out to help empty it
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KINGTOP-Grinder-Electric-Stainless-Warranty/dp/B06XKR73G3

Last edited:
Soldato
ahh..I just use the same setting for dripper/moka pot and it's acceptable, prob doing it all wrong!...there's no markings on my manual grinder tho so again it's a pain to adjust, would prob experiment more with coarse/fine if it was just turning a dial

Back
Top Bottom