Can't afford school meals for kids, but billions for homebuyers, sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I hate to break this to you but there is no real poverty in the uk. Its a fictional scenario where they say that anyone earning 60% of the average and below is in poverty.

Poverty is what you see in Somalia, no running water, no energy a real struggle to provide food.

Free health, education, running water, housing upto £1000 a month on benefits. Choosing between chicken nuggets or a decent mean is just demeaning the whole essence of poverty im afraid.

This is absolute tosh, you can't directly compare poverty between those two countries. What you're talking about is abject poverty. To say poverty doesn't really exist in the UK because we're not at the no drinking water stage is laughable.

No matter what discussion comes up surrounding these topics, they always have to be compared to the absolute worst situations on the planet and the solution is often the bootstrap mentality, yes, people should just be smarter or gain a work ethic overnight. I bet some of you have the work will set you free banner above your front door.

Soldato
Lol,

Have some of you not heard yourself, the world is going mad.
You're talking about children going hungry as a form of point scoring here, a lot of these parents HAD jobs and did pay for their own kids until this pandemic.

Let's hope you're not in need, then you might feel the helplessness and see the bigger picture here.

Kids should not go hungry, it's our job to keep them safe. They are our future.

Go donate to charity then, no one's saying you can't, it doesn't need the government to step in when people can do it themselves

Associate
No it's not. Why the **** should I, and other tax-payers, pay towards the upkeep of the spawn of dumb, feckless ***** who can't figure out how to use contraception correctly?

Narrow minded view. I hope that you never need help from the state.
Situations change, remember that. Only thing certain in life is death and taxes.

Caporegime
I believe that there should be more education for parents on how to create cheap, healthy meals for children. A pizza and chips from Iceland could cost £2-3 or something but it won't 'fill' their stomach. Yes they will be full but due to the content, they'll be hungry again very quickly when compared to something full of vitamins.

Is this bro science?
This is absolute tosh, you can't directly compare poverty between those two countries. What you're talking about is abject poverty. To say poverty doesn't really exist in the UK because we're not at the no drinking water stage is laughable.

No matter what discussion comes up surrounding these topics, they always have to be compared to the absolute worst situations on the planet and the solution is often the bootstrap mentality, yes, people should just be smarter or gain a work ethic overnight. I bet some of you have the work will set you free banner above your front door.

People are willing to travel 1000s of miles, risk their lives crossing the channel to get here, to live in 'poverty' as you call it.

I call it rubbish. Anyone with a TV, mobile phone etc is NOT living in poverty. It's absurd.

And we as workers should not be paying for these people to live like this then be asked again to pay to feed their children while we see such blatant abuse of the funds.

Its literally an obscene request.

Associate
You're acting as though the children's guardians do not already get income support/housing/child support.

They should be using this to home,feed,educate their family.

I'm acting in a way where clearly the parents are completely incompetent, and the child shouldn't suffer for that. I completely agree that the government help in a way where this shouldn't happen but it does, and it isn't the child's fault. I'm a believer that the parents should receive funds in the way of coupons for food, which should eliminate them p***ing it all up the wall on foxy bingo.

Man of Honour
A lot of people seem to be confused on what this actually means, they still give kids free school meals. This is about giving them meals in the holidays as well.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
This money is not paid to parents, it was about directly feeding children through school meals.

Except it isn't. It is given as food vouchers instead. Schools are closed during the holidays so they can't feed kids.

I am going to caveat this with, I think the current government is appalling, I am also a teacher, I most certainly don't want kids to starve.

The Free School Meals vote was purely a bit of political grandstanding. It was an opposition day motion, which are either waved through without a vote if they are non political, or they, if they go to division, are always voted down. This has been the case for both parties when in power. Labour would have been well aware of this. So they set up the vote knowing it would be voted down so they could make political capital out of it. It wasn't about feeding kids, it was about scoring points with their base and making some good headlines. In this it has been very successful.

We also have an awful lot of so called progressive politicians and their supporters seemingly wanted to support what is effectively a food voucher scheme, something normally beloved of the right wing. Voucher schemes are stigmatising, limited and costly to run. In any other situation the left would be rightly decrying their use but are oddly in full support.

What should be being done instead is raising benefits to a level where parents can afford to feed their kids along with additional education on how to do it. Now the government have raised Universal Credit and they have given government funding to food charities but it is debateable as to if it enough.

Caporegime
I'm acting in a way where clearly the parents are completely incompetent, and the child shouldn't suffer for that. I completely agree that the government help in a way where this shouldn't happen but it does, and it isn't the child's fault. I'm a believer that the parents should receive funds in the way of coupons for food, which should eliminate them p***ing it all up the wall on foxy bingo.

Then you have to remove the child from parent if they are incompetent.

FMF

FMF

Associate
Exactly, how you you let incompetent parents raise a child.

Just remove the child and remove their child benefits, and their housing.

Game over.

So who looks after the child? Who pays the additional costs of their childcare?

Are you suggesting having children should be IQ restricted?

Soldato
Such a strong libertarian view in this thread, people need to look at the human element here.
There's a decent proportion of those guys on this board who are simply misanthropes. Having never experienced co-habiting with a partner or raising children, or loving anything beyond possessions, they have a pretty resentful view of those who do.

Soldato
There's a decent proportion of those guys on this board who are simply misanthropes. Having never experienced co-habiting with a partner or raising children, or loving anything beyond possessions, they have a pretty resentful view of those who do.

There's also a significant amount of "behind the keyboard ******" going on. It's easy to say you're happy to let kids starve, remove kids from parents etc on an internet forum, regardless of whether you believe it or not.

I can sit here and say I don't think my tax money should be spent on propping up pub businesses or restaurants because I don't drink or eat out. I don't think we should be treating smokers in hospital because I don't smoke or people who are injured whilst drinking, playing sports or riding bikes on roads etc (life style choices). We shouldn't be using tax payers money to prevent airlines going under (I don't fly) and my money shouldn't be used towards HS2 yada yada yada.

It's easy see, it's also utterly meaningless.

Soldato
There's also a significant amount of "behind the keyboard ******" going on. It's easy to say you're happy to let kids starve, remove kids from parents etc on an internet forum, regardless of whether you believe it or not.

I can sit here and say I don't think my tax money should be spent on propping up pub businesses or restaurants, treating smokers in hospital or people who are injured whilst drinking, playing sports or riding bikes on roads etc. We shouldn't be using tax payers money to prevent airlines going under and my money shouldn't be used towards HS2 yada yada yada.

It's easy see, it's also utterly meaningless.

This.

I would much rather my tax money went to feeding children then to giving someone a half price meal for a bloody month. Where was the outrage then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom