• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 5000 Series - What Motherboards?

Soldato
Ive put together what I think is a workable system.
The CPU will be a Ryzen 7 5800X (Ive used a 3700x as a place holder)
I'm planning to transfer my Windows 10 license from my old PC.
I may drop the Blu Ray depending on final price.

Thoughts?

QcY5Hgye_o.jpg
Ram is too slow you need 3600Mhz or more.

would get better NVME like the adata sx8200pro which you often find 1TB for less than £100

GPU is too overpriced for that it is. pretty sure you can get the new Radeon cards with 60-80% performance lift at the price range and similarly the new RTX 3000 series cards with that performance boosts at that price point - just if you can get one.

in terms of the PSU, I am using a 8yr old PSU plus-gold EVGA and it has been flawless. However EVGA was top notch back then. I am not sure about their reputation and reliability these days. However you can’t go wrong with Corsair (the cheapy ones aren’t that good) and Seasonic especially.

Associate
OP
I'd read that the noticeable difference between 3000mhz and 3200mhz in real terms was quite small, so thats why I went for the 3000.
My understanding was the GTX 2060/70s were great cards for future proofing your system for the new few years. Interested to see what AMD reveal in the next week.

Soldato
The price difference between 3000 and 3200 and 3600 is really small to nothing. So might as well go big.

The high MHz rams usually will allow for tighter timings at lower speeds so that will help a lot.

Associate
OP
I was just having think about processes. I was thinking of getting the Ryzen 5800x but I noticed the top-end Ryzen 3900TX is about the same price. It looks like there's going to be shortages at launch and I was thinking does it not make more sense to get a top-end current gen processor rather then a mid-level next gen?

Is my thinking right or am I way off? :D

Associate
I was just having think about processes. I was thinking of getting the Ryzen 5800x but I noticed the top-end Ryzen 3900TX is about the same price. It looks like there's going to be shortages at launch and I was thinking does it not make more sense to get a top-end current gen processor rather then a mid-level next gen?

Is my thinking right or am I way off? :D
It's not as simple as that, the 3900X has more cores but each core much slower than on the new chips. It will depend on workload what's faster, but gaming will hardly ever use 12 cores.

Associate
You'd be absolutely crazy buying a 2000 series gpu right now, even considering the shortages.

If you're only gaming and don't require 50 cores, the new 5700x will do you just fine at the £300 mark.

Back
Top Bottom