When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Well, you do in energy terms. I can easily halve the range by driving inefficiently. The only difference is the financial cost per mile is trivial.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant, the difference in cost for my Zoe between driving like a granny or boy racer is about 0.5p/mile, or 50p on a full charge, it's nothing!

To be fair the Zoe isn't exactly the most performant EV though, I can imagine it would have more of an impact in something faster, still nowhere near the cost difference that you'd get in an ICE though.

Soldato
Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant, the difference in cost for my Zoe between driving like a granny or boy racer is about 0.5p/mile, or 50p on a full charge, it's nothing!

I must be working it out incorrectly. I worked it out like this. I pay about 13p/kWh at home and the M3 does about 5 miles/kWh if I drive it carefully and 2.5 if I drive it as hard as I feel comfortable so its about 1.3p/mile on the Tesla or about £4 on a full charge (300 miles worth).

Soldato
Makes no difference if you can charge for free! :D

Or, in the boy racer example, it's not like your parents are going to keep track of how much is being drawn by an EV, if they even charge you at all.

Soldato
Yes, if you hardly actually use your car, and you can charge for free, I’m sure it’s sweeties.

I do 600 miles per week and I pay Tesla 25p/kWh at a Supercharger and then the difference is £8/charge or £16/week. Yes, it’s still relatively little compared to the old 3l diesel but it’s still not 50p per charge (at least how I work it out).

Anyway - the opportunities to drive the car “with verve” are pretty few and far between anyway.

Soldato
Yes, if you hardly actually use your car, and you can charge for free, I’m sure it’s sweeties.

I do 600 miles per week and I pay Tesla 25p/kWh at a Supercharger and then the difference is £8/charge or £16/week. Yes, it’s still relatively little compared to the old 3l diesel but it’s still not 50p per charge (at least how I work it out).

Anyway - the opportunities to drive the car “with verve” are pretty few and far between anyway.

Yeah, and I'm purposefully being frugal as **** since I can charge at work for free and most of my longer journeys are to destinations with free charging, or I plan well/am happy to go ever so slightly out of my way for the cost saving. As a result I've done 4,000 miles since March for less than £8. Though my free Supercharge miles have expired now so it'll become a bit more 'normal' en-route.

Soldato
Yes, I'll happily use local council chargers where they provide them for free and that does bring the running cost down and ultimately even 5-7p/mile for Tesla's electric is still a massive saving over the old A6 diesel where I was spending £100/week sometimes to do similar mileages and I reckon I'm calmer and drive better as a result of the enforced 15-45 minutes charging breaks every 2-3 hours.

Soldato
I must be working it out incorrectly. I worked it out like this. I pay about 13p/kWh at home and the M3 does about 5 miles/kWh if I drive it carefully and 2.5 if I drive it as hard as I feel comfortable so its about 1.3p/mile on the Tesla or about £4 on a full charge (300 miles worth).

I pay 4.5p/kw, driving efficiently I get ~4.5 miles/kw, so ~1p/mile, driving like a **** my lowest i've got is ~3 miles/kw, so ~1.5p/mile

Normal driving I average ~3.8 miles/kw across a year (obviously higher in summer, lower in winter)

Soldato
I think it depends what you mean by trivial? An ICE car is 12-25p/mile on fuel cost and depending where I charge up my EV is generally 3-7p/mile so not that trivial. I can get my Model 3 down to under 2 miles per kW/h if I drive with 100% throttle input on a regular basis. What actually limits me is that my neck starts to hurt and generally once you've done it once the passengers in the car often don't really want to experience it too often.
10,000 miles a year at 12p per mile is £1200 and , add 20% for driving badly is an a extra £250 a year

10k at 3p is £300 add 20% is £60 a year so I guess it’s trivial when driving an ev.

Soldato
A public path?

He must have supplied a picture with a private parking space or they wouldn’t have agreed (assuming it’s an a OLEV funded install). If it’s not OLEV funded then they’ll install it anywhere. And I think a few posts up we established that provided you adequately secured/made safe the cable across the footpath there was no reason why you couldn’t charge a car parked at the roadside.

Soldato
I pay 4.5p/kw, driving efficiently I get ~4.5 miles/kw, so ~1p/mile, driving like a **** my lowest i've got is ~3 miles/kw, so ~1.5p/mile

Normal driving I average ~3.8 miles/kw across a year (obviously higher in summer, lower in winter)

Where are you getting electricity for 4.5p/kW? That's REALLY cheap. Does that include the standing charge? I suspect it's one of those 4-hour window in the middle of the night things.

Soldato
I’m having my Point Point installed next Tuesday. Think it will be the easiest installation for them.
The Electric meter and fusebox are on the same wall and the charger is being installed within 1 meter.

50519061983_090007f2b6_c.jpg

Soldato
Where are you getting electricity for 4.5p/kW? That's REALLY cheap. Does that include the standing charge? I suspect it's one of those 4-hour window in the middle of the night things.

Yeah it's the Octopus Go Faster tariff, 3 hrs from 00:30-03:30, its a new one they're trialling, plus I get £5 bill credit every month

Edit: doesn't include the standing charge, but I'd be paying that anyway

Last edited:
Associate
He must have supplied a picture with a private parking space or they wouldn’t have agreed (assuming it’s an a OLEV funded install). If it’s not OLEV funded then they’ll install it anywhere. And I think a few posts up we established that provided you adequately secured/made safe the cable across the footpath there was no reason why you couldn’t charge a car parked at the roadside.

Yeah, sent accurate photos in advance. It's not a public path, it's the path to access the front of our house. the private parking is just two spaces at the front of the house, not a driveway.

They've installed though, so now all good! As long as the neighbours aren't dicks about it.

Soldato
I’m having my Point Point installed next Tuesday. Think it will be the easiest installation for them.
The Electric meter and fusebox are on the same wall and the charger is being installed within 1 meter.

50519061983_090007f2b6_c.jpg

Needs a stencil of a girl holding a string that goes to the green circle, then you can tell everyone Bansky has been :D

Back
Top Bottom