• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rumour: 3080 20gb and 3070 16gb cancelled

Soldato
The writing
Completely agree, I started with Trident 2d Graphics cards in 1990, added separate 3d cards, then Voodoo cards (Voodoo 2 12mb SLI was epic). Despite trying the ATI Rage series of cards I moved to Nvidia with the RIVA TNT 16 and the TNT 32, finally onto the first Geforce card (Then labelled Geforce 256) the Creative Annihilator.

Since then I've always wanted ATI (and later when they became AMD) to be competitive but each time I've bought a card they have disappointed greatly and whilst I watch each AMD release with interest they always fall short beating Nvidia only on value for money.

I genuinely want Big Navi to destroy the 30 series, even if I owned a 3080, competition is good, I'll go where the better card is, if AMD could compete at the top end Nvidia could no longer rest on their laurels and would have to put in serious effort and drive the whole industry forward.

Unfortunately experience tells me it's unlikely that Big Navi will be a 3080 killer, still AMD might have finally broken Intel's hold on CPU's, one day they're going to have to hit the mark with the GPU's.

The writing was on the wall for AMD leap frogging Intel but I can't imagine them getting ahead of nvidia.

Soldato
Were 20/16GB models ever confirmed? A rumour to confirm another rumour was wrong?
I can see something coming about halfway through the generation but would have been surprised to have seen extra memory slapped on current models. 3070 IMO doesn't even need 16GB. 3080 could do with it though.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's highly doubtful they were ever planning to release a 20GB version of the 3080 a couple of weeks after launching and failing to supply the market with the original version.

There's no way I'd sell my current 3080 at a few hundred quid loss in order to buy a card that would provide identical performance. Larger memory capacity would need to come with more grunt, and with the narrow performance margin between the 3080 & 3090 there's simply no room for it.

I fully expect the next GPU releases from NV to be catering for the lower tiered 3070, 3060 etc.

Associate
It's highly doubtful they were ever planning to release a 20GB version of the 3080 a couple of weeks after launching and failing to supply the market with the original version.

There's no way I'd sell my current 3080 at a few hundred quid loss in order to buy a card that would provide identical performance. Larger memory capacity would need to come with more grunt, and with the narrow performance margin between the 3080 & 3090 there's simply no room for it.

I fully expect the next GPU releases from NV to be catering for the lower tiered 3070, 3060 etc.

If you sell your 3080 now I doubt you'd incur a loss ;) (depending on your level of ethics)
But yeah in general I'd hold off on selling..

Soldato
Maybe they do have a full complement of stock. But with all the problems with COVID why is it not credible that there might be shortages?

That's not what you said though, you said:

"4. AMD card is worse than Nvidia and dont have the stock either as they prioritise CPU and consoles."

There might AMD shortages with their upcoming GPU's but to claim they're worse than NV at this point doesn't make any sense.

Associate
why because people have a different view then you so we’re zealot and stupid.

Your facts just like mine are based on our own views and not cemented in facts. You USE leaks to prove you point that you THINK amd has won. I am a 3080 owner and until amd gpu priced in the same tier as mine wins in all areas (performance price features) then I will admit amd has won. I will even put it on here with me holding a amd graphic card.

but we don’t know how the chips will fall in November or December all I know is I’m playing cyberpunk 2077 maxed with full ray tracing at 4K the day it drops I will also be playing watch dogs on the launch also what will you be playing?

The difference between us is my view's on Nvidia's posture are conjecture and I state just that its my opinion.

While the fact that I finished on is that you should be happy AMD forced Nvidia into this situation.
Or are you guys so virulent defending your ego just to removed and would rather pay £1200 for a 3080 this time around instead of the MRSP of £650? Because if not for AMD this time around you would be.

Im totally removed from either AMD or Nvidia as a GPU provider all I care for is a healthy market for me the consumer, you see I give as big a Fk about either supplier as they would me, it's brass tac's and about money and performance I don't care if it's red or green.

What I observe in the hostile replies is snow flakes so caught up in the respective marketing machine's it does make me chuckle how fickle the masses are, "All hail Steve Jobbs" should be the motto.

Associate
While i do not believe in the "AMD has won" chat i do think its fair to say Nvidia has shot itself in the foot and we are now just waiting to see if AMD will come along and shoot the other one off.

AMD have had good and bad GPU launches, there recent ones have been less than stellar but then the 2080ti was good at playing space invaders and the 3xxx series troubles are also real... sooo both are guilty of being good a **** ups.
All we can agree on is both AMD and Nvidia will piddle on Intels rubbish when they eventually spit it out.

Associate
That's not what you said though, you said:

"4. AMD card is worse than Nvidia and dont have the stock either as they prioritise CPU and consoles."

There might AMD shortages with their upcoming GPU's but to claim they're worse than NV at this point doesn't make any sense.
Fair point

Associate
I imagine the decision to cancel the "original" rumoured 20gb 3080 was made before the original launch. For whatever commercial reason etc....
for example to cut costs and be competitive for the next 12months while they get the 7nm refresh ready or move away from Ampere.

A 20gb 3080 would have been pointless (On 8nm Samsung) and would be too expensive and power hungry.......just look at the 3090.

Its not a bad thing either as manufacturing 20gb 3080s would have only added to the stock problems.
It might have been a better idea to delay the 3090 and release the 3070 along with the 3080 but I'm sure the people working for nvidia know a lot more than me.

Associate
Upgrade from Ampere to Ampere? :confused:

I presume he is somewhat tongue-in-cheek referring to Nvidia releasing a 20GB model and asking 10GB model owners to upgrade.

It's very interesting how things have changed over the past month or so. Originally, the question for AMD was "What GPU do you have to compete with the 3000 series?", but now just as importantly it is also the question "And how much of that GPU to you have to sell?". So much focus on performance when what will likely move people one way or another is simply stock availability. People may be happy to sacrifice say 10% performance against a 3080 if they can have a new GPU 3 months sooner than they would otherwise have to wait. I know it might seem short-sighted to do such a thing when a GPU is a multi-year purchase, but people have waited long enough to scratch that itch - especially those who were disappointed with the 2000 series and have been waiting 3-4 years for something worth upgrading to.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, a slower GPU in the hand is worth more etc..

Yup. And you have to take into account the fact that many people may be coming from GPUs that are, let's say, 'sub-1080 Ti' performance. For those people, they may be looking at an AMD GPU that gives them 80% perf increase, rather than 90% with an Nvidia GPU. As such, they are still getting the bulk of the perf that they desire and that 10% differential becomes much less important.

Upgrade from Ampere to Ampere? :confused:
Whoosh.

I presume he is somewhat tongue-in-cheek referring to Nvidia releasing a 20GB model and asking 10GB model owners to upgrade.

It's very interesting how things have changed over the past month or so. Originally, the question for AMD was "What GPU do you have to compete with the 3000 series?", but now just as importantly it is also the question "And how much of that GPU to you have to sell?". So much focus on performance when what will likely move people one way or another is simply stock availability. People may be happy to sacrifice say 10% performance against a 3080 if they can have a new GPU 3 months sooner than they would otherwise have to wait. I know it might seem short-sighted to do such a thing when a GPU is a multi-year purchase, but people have waited long enough to scratch that itch - especially those who were disappointed with the 2000 series and have been waiting 3-4 years for something worth upgrading to.

Thank you.

Soldato
Yup. And you have to take into account the fact that many people may be coming from GPUs that are, let's say, 'sub-1080 Ti' performance. For those people, they may be looking at an AMD GPU that gives them 80% perf increase, rather than 90% with an Nvidia GPU. As such, they are still getting the bulk of the perf that they desire and that 10% differential becomes much less important.

I know it's all if this, if that... However...:)

If AMD release a card that is even 50% above 1080ti performance, then as long as stock is available and the price is reasonable (sub £500?) then the likes of OcUK will have a total nightmare on their hands with the amount of cancellations to process as they are sitting on literally millions of £'s in Ampere pre orders.

If someone is sitting with a 1070 then why sit in an open ended queue for a 3080, even if buying AMD is a drop in performance it'll still be a massive jump from the 1070 and actually available for delivery.

This shambles has a way to play out yet. And if I was planning to buy AMD, then I'd be paying attention to the retailers that have tried to gouge every penny out of non existent cards and take my custom elsewhere. That's why I bought my 3080 at MSRP, no way was I encouraging that **** take for AIB cards. There's actually an Asus 3070 currently listed for what I paid for my 3080. Total disgrace.

Associate
I know it's all if this, if that... However...:)

If AMD release a card that is even 50% above 1080ti performance, then as long as stock is available and the price is reasonable (sub £500?) then the likes of OcUK will have a total nightmare on their hands with the amount of cancellations to process as they are sitting on literally millions of £'s in Ampere pre orders.

If someone is sitting with a 1070 then why sit in an open ended queue for a 3080, even if buying AMD is a drop in performance it'll still be a massive jump from the 1070 and actually available for delivery.

This shambles has a way to play out yet. And if I was planning to buy AMD, then I'd be paying attention to the retailers that have tried to gouge every penny out of non existent cards and take my custom elsewhere. That's why I bought my 3080 at MSRP, no way was I encouraging that **** take for AIB cards. There's actually an Asus 3070 currently listed for what I paid for my 3080. Total disgrace.

One of the things at the outset which made the 3080 appealing was that it seemed to be a return to a reasonable pricing model after the farce that was the 2080 Ti. As you say, this has now gone to **** and that earlier appeal is being eroded.

Excellent point about the pre-orders; that could be very disruptive. I think retailers will probably be okay (a sale is a sale), but it will be a mess.

I pulled the trigger on a 2080S at the start of lockdown, moving from a 1070 Ti. I was waiting for the 3000 series, and had been for two years, but was worried that Covid would push back the 3000 series till 2021. When the September launch date materialised for the 3080, I thought I had made the wrong decision. However, it is now apparent that I was right (albeit perhaps for the wrong reason*) and the 2080S has served me well in enjoying some very demanding games this year @ 1440p 144hz. I can still use the perf increase of a 3080 or the AMD equivalent, but I can happily wait for it.

* I am not sure if Covid played a role in terms of rushing Nvidia into this mess (I know their failed power play with TSMC was a large part), but I would be surprised if it had no impact on the circumstances we are now in.

Back
Top Bottom