• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
100% fella... hence why I'll move onto something else hahaha.. sometimes you just have to sit back, have a brew and let people get on with it lol

I actually think the very interesting thing here is... lets for one minute assume that the 6800Xt is around 3080 or whatever. Now, lets just say the 6900XTX is within sniffing distance or around the same as 3090... does anyone think that AMD would charge £1500 quid for it? I dont' know why, but I can't see this... which then makes you think... one of two things>

1. AMD release the 6900XT at £1500 to give or take match 3090 and the world continues to complain about prices... it'd be a shame as I don't think I'd even stretch to that tbh...
  2. AMD release the 6900XT at £999 (or significantly under 3090)... which would cause a stir and would this change nVidia price of the 3090? Would nVidia reduce their 3090 by such an amount?
Obviously the above is based on similar 3090 vs 6900XT performance.... who knows... going to be an odd situation possibly if Navi exceeds our expectations and does push 3080/3090's and I mean PUSh or BETTER.

Also, just realised my old card was a 6990 dual card... we've come full circle with the naming,... only just realised lol

Considering the con Nvidia have pulled with ampere (see Jim's swansong video) l absolutely think they should undercut nvidias baseline 2080ti pricing with the 6900xt. As long as it's up to snuff.

Caporegime
You've got to be impressed if this does all turn out, as Nvidia have only managed to get a paltry 30%+ over their Ti, with Ampere, where as AMD, to get to Amperes performance, have gone from being around that much from, BEHIND the Ti, ouch!, thats gota hurt :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's the built in benchmark :confused:

I can see peole in the thread using the free demo, There is probably little differnce between them when it comes to the built in benchmarking tool, to use Steves own words for never using them they are often vastly different from the game, there could be a reason for that, they might be made pre release and who knows how pre release, long before the game gets any vendor spesific opimisations.
The thing about Forza is it's a microsoft game, its built for AMD hardware.
The only other explination would be that Steve is a comlete AMD shill, but then he wouldn't be alone in that, google it and there are lenty of articles describing how well AMD does in this game with DX12.

Niether Kaap's thread or these articles are wrong, its all accurate, the only difference i can see is Kaap's thread uses the built in benchmarking tool.
to be clear, i never said FH4 was in anyway indicative of generalised Navi 10 performance, what i said was its an examle of how easy it is to make one look much better than the other, and that in my experiance having had both cards very recently it is my oinon that the two cards in quetion are very even overall.

TrM

TrM

Associate
You've got to be impressed if this does all turn out, as Nvidia have only managed to get a paltry 30%+ over their Ti, with Ampere, where as AMD, to get to Amperes performance, have gone from being around that much from, BEHIND the Ti, ouch!, thats gota hurt :p

whilst I think it is very good gains from navi 2. it was said back when the 5700xt launched that they could have doubled the size of the die and use 80cu units back with navi 1 which would have easily come close to the 2080ti. It’s easier to double down on the cu and gain massively.

But as I said I’m not saying it’s really good gains or not impressive but when u drill down the facts it’s a lot more unstandble then you may think

Soldato
But that's silly to compare them separately. The 5700XT is midrange card because that's where its performance puts it. Using your logic, both Dacia Dusters and Range Rovers are top tier car, whereas an Evoque and a Sandero are low end cars. It's patently pointless to compare brands in that way.
Weirdly, I can compare whatever to whatever I like rofl....

The 5700XT is NOT midrange in AMD's available stack it's TOP TIER. I'm not comparing AMD to nVidia, never have been... if I took the Dacia Duster on it's own merrits, on the 2019 model and then made that same model repalcement a 200mph, leather clad weapon with all the latest tech we would ALL go wow, look at the new Dacia Duster, what an improvement over the 2019 model... HOWEVER NO ONE would ever compare it to a Bugatti Veryron... .. because that's not what I've said I'd be doing. I've not once said I'm comparing what AMD is doing to nVidia... I've compared AMD v's AMD i.e. AMD's current top tier card to what WILL BE their top tier card.

I can't think of any other ways of stating the obvious, this is now the 3rd time I've said the same thing rofl. And annoyingly I'm still replying like an idiot rofl with people twisting what I'm saying or sayign I'm comparing wrong... wow, so I can't compare AMD to AMD because someone on the internet says I can't because that's silly. This FORUM is seriously going down the pan rofl

Caporegime
seriously, what was that dude's post about :eek: don't get me wrong, there is something about Dr. Su, but peeing on a 3090 with Uncle Jensen in tow is just not happening in my mind tank.

How did you sleep last night? :D

Just have to see how their RT turns out.

No matter what hapens with rasterisation performnace RT is where Nvidia will be able to say "see, we are better" IF AMD beat Nvidia in rasterisation the only thing on earth that will matter to Nvidia is RT and you will never hear the end of it.

Permabanned
Will there be official third party, independent reviews on Wednesday?

The 5700XT is NOT midrange in AMD's available stack it's TOP TIER.

RX 5700 XT is heavily overclocked out of the box while Radeon VII is a cut down GPU and even then Radeon RX 5700 XT is considerably slower and lacks half the memory VRAM capacity.

Associate
I was just doing some math around AMD vs Nvidia yields

TSMC 7nm
Defect density: 0.06 to 0.09 per sq cm
Chip size: 505 to 536 mm^2
Zero defect yields: 62-74%

Samsung 8nm
Defect density: 0.14 to 0.18 per sq cm
Chip size: 628 mm^2
Zero defect yields: 32-42%

Why is AMD trying to create artificial scarcity with the 80 CU part? What is up with competition these days?

Caporegime
Will there be official third party, independent reviews on Wednesday?

RX 5700 XT is heavily overclocked out of the box while Radeon VII is a cut down GPU and even then Radeon RX 5700 XT is considerably slower and lacks half the memory VRAM capacity.

The lack of VRam for 4K is the whole problem with your slide. It is NOT "considrably slower than the Radeon VII" at resolutions where the VRam does not becomes the defining issue for the 5700XT vs the Rdeon VII, which is why you cherry picked the 4K results.

Permabanned
The lack of VRam for 4K is the whole problem with your slide. It is NOT "considrably slower than the Radeon VII" at resolutions where the VRam does not becomes the defining issue for the 5700XT vs the Rdeon VII, which is why you cherry picked the 4K results.

I didn't "cherry pick" anything. You know very well that 1080p tends to equalise results because the work load shifts to the central processor while the GPU is left waiting.
Cut down Vega 20 is still good 10% faster at UHD 2160p than the heavily overclocked and pushed well beyond its sweet spot Navi 10..

Caporegime
I didn't "cherry pick" anything. You know very well that 1080p tends to equalise results because the work load shifts to the central processor while the GPU is left waiting.
Cut down Vega 20 is still good 10% faster at UHD 2160p than the heavily overclocked and pushed well beyond its sweet spot Navi 10..

The CPU is not relevent with cards at this level. Not even at 1080P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom