James Randi has died

Soldato
was mentioned on the Alice Cooper forum, he designed a couple of the famous stage props. I liked the guy, had some good bits on Secret Cabaret etc.
Had a good innings i guess, RIP.

Man of Honour
Oh, so he actually was homosexual, according to Wikipedia. I thought it was a joke.

He used a South American to act as a Psychic over in Australia and he became quite famous.
Randi kept him on the team and ended up marrying him him.
There was also something to do with him being an illegal and he was nearly sent back from America later on life - just remembered he'd changed his identity.

Capodecina
Soldato
What's that got to do with the term 'hide the sausage'? There's no implication that it's necessarily someone else's sausage...

Well, that's true, but I thought the epithet of sausage-hiding was mostly utilised in reference to those males in favour of sleeping with the heterogametic.

Soldato
Soldato
This is really sad news.

James Randi has done a lot to debunk some of the exploitative garbage in the world. I really enjoyed his lectures on homeopathy where he'd start them off by downing several packs of 'homeopathic sleeping tablets' -- very funny stuff, he was a fantastic entertainer.

I enjoyed those presentations too, but obviously he knew the trick.
If he'd have swallowed just a really really small minute amount of one tablet, he'd have been dead within seconds. :)

Soldato
Just did a deep dive on Youtube trying to find a particular video on his famous rope trick, there are other videos of it but this certain was my favourite presentation of it but sadly I can't find it :(

So instead I share this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cuQXHqDciE

It's how I discovered James Randi back in 2009 and I spent I don't know how many hours watching anything that had James Randi in it on Youtube. It's also how I learned about TAM and was really considering going when it came to London in 2009.

If anyone enjoyed the video I linked then yesterday that channel uploaded a behind the scenes of filming it.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Another was Uri Geller, everywhere Geller went Randi followed him and did all Gellers tricks by showing people it was just magic - nobody cared.
He even sat across from Geller and because Randi had changed his props slightly, Geller couldn't do his tricks.
Sounds like a bit of a dick tbh :confused: Not wishing to speak ill of the dead, just seems like a strange moment for the highlight reel

Soldato
Sounds like a bit of a dick tbh :confused: Not wishing to speak ill of the dead, just seems like a strange moment for the highlight reel

Uri Geller has made a career out of scamming people and pretending to have 'special' powers, on at least one occasion this involved a kidnapped woman who he claimed would be found alive and well (she wasn't).

Pretty sure he claimed to be an alien from another planet at one point too, but that's more in the area of him being nuts.

Personally I'd say Randi was entirely justified, in fact I think it's a shame more people aren't like him.

Back
Top Bottom