Can't afford school meals for kids, but billions for homebuyers, sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's not always a case that the parent couldn't find or wouldn't know how to follow a recipe.

It can be that it's too much effort to cook, don't always have the available cooking facilities, can't be bothered with the cleaning/tidying up after. Picking up a burger from Mcds solve all three of those issues.

Or the simple fact that many families don't have a device with access to the internet.

A lot of people in this thread could do with spending some time at an inner city school in a deprived area to get an idea of what deprivation actually means in some places!

Soldato
Zero because i paid 107k for it.

I live and have lived in Oldham all my life, the poverty capital of the uk (look it up). My parents highest level of education was art college.

Don't presume that any of you can tell me anything I don't know about 'poverty' , 'childcare, or benefits and the ability of parents to bring up children.

Effectively, by not paying any stamp duty, you have been assisted by those who pay much more than you in tax. You've been given a handout. For you to righteously comment that people should "pay their way" is disingenuous in my opinion. You're no wealthy lord, dishing out bread to the peasants. You've taken this and other handouts, you don't pay your way! You sound like the atypical person who has come from a crap background and now earned (a tiny) bit of money and thinks that somehow qualifies you to lack empathy for others even less advantaged than yourself. You'd have thought the poor family background would have given you some perspective but instead it's made you selfish.

Caporegime
School is ridiculous.
I agree, when I was there it was all too pass exams.
Know the syllabus? That's all you need to do.

Trade music, English lit, RE, for practical skills like DIY, financial planning etc.

Have schools changed much? Because apart from maths, English language is there that much of value? (obviously history, science etc are important to teach, but not as valuable as finance, which is important for everyone)

(note. I'm assuming school isn't that different from when I went, I'm now 35)

Caporegime
Fortune is a massive part of the argument though, as these people have the means to make a massive impact on society. Taxing everyone on this thread a few % more isn't going to go far in providing all these social schemes. For someone who's earning 10mil a year, his weekly wage is enough to buy 2 million bowls of cornflakes.

This is the American model, instead of say the Norwegian model. You tax less, and then the rich people pays for stuff because they can afford to.

It makes sense on paper but the best people to distribute wealth is not an individual, or 10 individual but the state. The State has data, an individual has bias, feelings, connections, allegiance. You will then get some schools really well off because they have a connection to certain donors and if that donor passes without setting up a trust, that school is stuffed.

As opposed to just collect taxes from the rich, pay them pay more (if they want to donate in the first place!) and let the state distribute it.

but we are back to “but I want to see where my money go towards because it’s my money”, and we are back to my point about kicking the bucket.

Soldato
School is ridiculous.
I agree, when I was there it was all too pass exams.
Know the syllabus? That's all you need to do.

Trade music, English lit, RE, for practical skills like DIY, financial planning etc.

Have schools changed much? Because apart from maths, English language is there that much of value? (obviously history, science etc are important to teach, but not as valuable as finance, which is important for everyone)

(note. I'm assuming school isn't that different from when I went, I'm now 35)

Resisting the urge to go grammar Nazi on this post...

Caporegime
In Japan, after WW2 the country was poor, kids were starving, long story short they passed a law that provides school meals. It still stands today, they are proud of it like we are proud of our NHS. The school meal part is a part of their identity, the children actually get to participate to distribute the food at lunchtime.

The program helps children at an young age to learn about food, what they are, where they are from, and they have to provide a balanced meal also.

A program like this isn't about just feeding, it's about education. You don't improve as a nation by leaving those at lower end behind, sure you don't drag them but you educate them. This is an opportunity to educate them. The aspiration or aim is more than just feed or not feed, this isn't new clearly so if you look outside the box you get to see how it can be beneficial as a society.

note the mask wearing, video dated 2018!

Last edited:
Soldato
I can understand the negative attitude to why should we pay for kids meals.

But I think it goes back to the core problem that people aren't sure of how to make healthy meals.

I think people need to be physically shown how to make basic meals.

I remember when in school we had a lesson called Life Skills which covered some of this stuff, along side self hygiene and house cleaning.

Soldato
I remember when in school we had a lesson called Life Skills which covered some of this stuff, along side self hygiene and house cleaning.
Yes, Home Economics I think it was called. Not sure if that's still a thing as we have a 20 year old at work, his life skills/diet are awful.

Capodecina
Soldato
In Japan, after WW2 the country was poor, kids were starving, long story short they passed a law that provides school meals. It still stands today, they are proud of it like we are proud of our NHS. . . .
Was that law put forward by the Japanese at the time or by the Americans?

The Americans did a lot of good immediately after World War II (e.g. the Marshall Plan in Europe) - how times change :(

Soldato
but we are back to “but I want to see where my money go towards because it’s my money”, and we are back to my point about kicking the bucket.

As much as i'm not a lefty, i do agree that the rich need to be taxed more, if they made a fair contribution then the government would have pools of money for these social schemes.

But yes, most normal people do want to see where their money goes because they don't have the luxury of paying thousands/tens of thousands and not giving a stuff where it ends up.

Yes, Home Economics I think it was called. Not sure if that's still a thing as we have a 20 year old at work, his life skills/diet are awful.

"Home economics" definitely wasn't a thing when i was at school 15-20 years ago. As i said in my previous post, we had a brief covering on some very basic things.

Caporegime
If you have a child and are claiming benefits, then a small percentage of those benefits should be given as a food voucher that only your child can use at school. Sorted.

Caporegime
ed1JVLh.jpg
eqJSEkx

RDM

RDM

Soldato
If you have a child and are claiming benefits, then a small percentage of those benefits should be given as a food voucher that only your child can use at school. Sorted.
So the current Free School Meals system?

The issue isn’t when they are in school, but when thy aren’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom