• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
The only grumble I've got with Series X is the big games are still some way off. The only things on the radar for next year are Halo and Psychonauts, plus maybe Flight Sim (depending on what the dev schedule is like) and Starfield (rumoured for 2021). Unless they're hiding some big surprises, it looks like the next gen of Xbox won't get underway (from an "exclusives" point of view) until 2022.

OTOH, it does mean there's likely to be a glut of big games in 2022/2023. The Zenimax acquisition takes Xbox to 29 in-house teams. With a 4-5 year average dev cycle, that's enough teams for ~6 games per year...

I've been thinking the same; and I was going to cancel my Series X but I might just get it; I've not touched a lot of "last gen" games.
I did see yesterday that some references to the Xbox have been spotted in new code changes made in Flight Sim so lets hope it gets a launch soon; if its coming in the first part of 2021 I'm maybe hold off on my PC build but if its going to be longer I'm going to start ordering components!

Man of Honour
I've been thinking the same; and I was going to cancel my Series X but I might just get it; I've not touched a lot of "last gen" games.
I did see yesterday that some references to the Xbox have been spotted in new code changes made in Flight Sim so lets hope it gets a launch soon; if its coming in the first part of 2021 I'm maybe hold off on my PC build but if its going to be longer I'm going to start ordering components!

I’ve got loads I haven’t played and if I can play at 4K on the sofa with some hdr and other updates then that works for me.

Soldato
I still can't believe I am opting for xbox. It wasn't even on my radar and was blindly going to pick up a ps5.

But I think Ms have done a bang up job on value side.

Being a bit more powerful will probably help in a slightly smoother experience for a while for cross platform games.

Will also get a ps5 some time , but it's not going to be my primary this gen.
I'm exactly the same. I never for one moment even considered Xbox, I only ever owned a 360 to play Lost Odyssey, everything else was Playstation and PC. My plan was to get a PS5 sometime next year and upgrade my PC when I had the funds.

Then a series of moments happened that completely changed my mind.

1. Microsoft went fully out on backwards compatibility and I always admired them for it, though at this time I thought it didn't apply to me because I had no Xbox games. Meanwhile Sony barely mentioned it, only that it was PS4 and nothing else.

2. Sony upped the price of their games to £70 which felt like a slap in the face and completely put me off. It actually made me bitter about it, in one stroke they literally priced me out of console gaming.

3. Microsoft bought Bethesda (Elder Scrolls being one of my favourite game series) which made me look into game pass for the first time properly (I always thought subscription based gaming would just be full of old janky games or something) and I was shocked at the sheer value and game library it offered. I then realised that many of the old backwards compatible Xbox games I never played would suddenly be available to me with spruced up performance.

The only downside with Xbox is that some games I'm looking forward to have an exclusivity period with PS, like FF7 Remake and FFXVI.

Sony really messed this one up IMO. I'll hopefully nab an XSX before Xmas and a good long sub to GPU to keep me entertained for a long time.

Soldato
Ill be buying an xbox but I certainly wouldn't say Sony have messed up. Sony have shown way more exciting stuff this generation. Their ssd tech is superior to xbox. They might be lower tflops but their games demonstrated look way more impressive. (halo looked poo).

Soldato
I'm exactly the same. I never for one moment even considered Xbox, I only ever owned a 360 to play Lost Odyssey, everything else was Playstation and PC.

You're in for a treat then. While Xbox exclusives rarely hit the heights of PS ones like Uncharted, TLOU, GoW and Horizon, there are plenty that are worth playing. And you'll be getting better visuals and better frame rates than the rest of us got first time round.

Can totally see why someone who hasn't owned an Xbox before would make the jump this time round. No massive games at launch, sure. But with Game Pass and the BC enhancements, there's a huge library of games worth playing.

Associate
Anyone pre-order there Xbox or ps5 instore at Smyths toys ? If so have you received a txt since making the order ? I went in the morning Xbox went up. Think I was second in and paid my £25 deposit. Since then I have heard nothing. Hope I am getting one on release day.

Soldato
Question regarding gold and sharing etc.

My son has my one x which has my account still on it and his. When I get my SX and set it up with my account will my son still be able to use gold etc ?

Thanks

Caporegime
OP
Question regarding gold and sharing etc.

My son has my one x which has my account still on it and his. When I get my SX and set it up with my account will my son still be able to use gold etc ?

Thanks

Well they are changing the login system around this time so that when you log in to a new place (XCloud, XSX, PC, whatever) it won't log you out of Xbox One, etc. But I don't think this changes licences. You'll probably have to keep your One X as your Primary/Home console so your son can use that. Which means you'll always need to be connected to the internet on XSX.

Associate
Anyone pre-order there Xbox or ps5 instore at Smyths toys ? If so have you received a txt since making the order ? I went in the morning Xbox went up. Think I was second in and paid my £25 deposit. Since then I have heard nothing. Hope I am getting one on release day.

I pre-ordered my series x in-store with Smyths. Haven't heard anything either. I might pop in tomorrow and see what is happening.

Soldato
think am about to replace my living room tv with a sony xh9005. My other only 4 years and while not "terrible". it is IPS (meaning blacks actually agitate me being all glowey), and edge lit, and an earlysih hdr screen. So not wonderful either.

I have been toying with oled for years, but am always put off by image retention.

And would be nice to try 120hz.

Only problem if i do, is it may tempt me to replace my desktop screen too. when there is actually anything to replace it with - there really isn't anything good in the 40 inch range right now...

Associate
Microsoft seems to have done a great job of selling a machine with no games. I can't knock the job they have done this time creating the kind of must have it desire they did around the 360 launch. People scrambling for pre-orders, only this time there's next to nothing of interest to play. People keep quoting the improvements to Gears, you know the game no one in Europe plays. I've never seen a console launch where there's so little I'd want to play or available but seemingly selling so well. Kudos to them. Even having only the xbox one I can't see any reason to bite for 6 months at least.

Associate
AC Valhalla is a day 1 buy for me for next-gen. Though still debating between XSX and RTX 3080 (or even 3070). Few days left for me to return my new unopened PSU so need to decide quickly!

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft seems to have done a great job of selling a machine with no games. I can't knock the job they have done this time creating the kind of must have it desire they did around the 360 launch. People scrambling for pre-orders, only this time there's next to nothing of interest to play. People keep quoting the improvements to Gears, you know the game no one in Europe plays. I've never seen a console launch where there's so little I'd want to play or available but seemingly selling so well. Kudos to them. Even having only the xbox one I can't see any reason to bite for 6 months at least.

There's plenty of games - just not exclusives.

And for someone like me who still has a lot of 'current' games to get through, i welcome the improvements to be expected on older games

Back
Top Bottom