• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
BUT, it doesn mater what should or shouldnt', it is and that was the best AMD could do just over 1 year ago... and now in 1 year they've managed to possibly double that performance, I must be the only one impressed with this and the possibility of them over taking an arch rival from so far behind it looked like they were gone forever.

However, wish I've not said anything now, as with the forums, we get bogged down in things now... barely anyone can make a normal comment i.e. 100% performance increase over 5700xt being impressive and somehow this is now a conversation where I'm justiofying a bog standard statement. lol

So, when AMD release this new card at a much higher price point than the card it's "replacing". By your own logic they'll probably have caused one of the highest gen on gen price increases. If we don't take into context what the 5700XT is, then we have to be extremely negative about the price increase surely?

Caporegime
So, when AMD release this new card at a much higher price point than the card it's "replacing". By your own logic they'll probably have caused one of the highest gen on gen price increases. If we don't take into context what the 5700XT is, then we have to be extremely negative about the price increase surely?

Nvidia set prices, until its AMD doing that we should be having a go at them for it.

Caporegime
Nvidia set prices, until its AMD doing that we should be having a go at them for it.

This doesn't make any sense to the comment.
In the context the Nvidia card is cheaper than last generation. So Nvidia would have a negative gen on gen price increase, while AMD's would be massively increased.

Or we acknowledge what the 5700XT was, take the new card in isolation from AMD's previous stuff and judge it on its merits/negatives to Nvidia's current line up (Which is my stance)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
In the context the Nvidia card is cheaper than last generation. So Nvidia would have a negative gen on gen price increase, while AMD's would be massively increased.

The nvidia card is not cheaper as Turing broke the mold, look at the graph that was shown in this thread (@danlightbulb ?), you can see Jensen worked his magic if you believe they made it cheaper - its just back to where it was IMO.

Caporegime
This doesn't make any sense to the comment.

Or we acknowledge what the 5700XT was, take the new card in isolation from AMD's previous stuff and judge it on its merits/negatives to Nvidia's current line up (Which is my stance)

The 5700XT cost less than the 2070, which is what it was comparable to. Yes AMD tried to charge £50 more before releasing it, we all screamed at them and they backed down.

If RDNA2 has better price to performance than Ampere what should we do?

Caporegime
The nvidia card is not cheaper as Turing broke the mold, look at the graph that was shown in this thread, you can see Jensen worked his magic if you believe they made it cheaper - its just back to where it was IMO.

Graphic card prices are crap all around IMO from both vendor's and will be going into this next generation with both taking turns to exploit the consumer.

But gen on gen, there's a decrease in pricing for Nvidia. (Or at least, as far as RRP goes. But that swings both ways for both vendors). If we do that with AMD using the 5700XT as the base line it's a massive price increase.

Caporegime
The 5700XT cost less than the 2070, which is what it was comparable to. Yes AMD tried to charge £50 more before releasing it, we all screamed at them and they backed down.

If RDNA2 has better price to performance than Ampere what should we do?

AMD backed down their price because Nvidia pulled their pants down with the super's.

If RDNA 2 offers better price/performance, you do exactly as I said and compare it to Nvidia's offerings, not the 5700XT as is what I was saying.

Soldato
This thread keeps delivering!! :D:D

People here are claiming it's a 100% generational increase because the 6900XTX is 100% faster than the 5700XT.

Man, you guys are funny!!

This, the 5700XT is mid range card. Everybody knows it. It's pure pedantic nonsense to claim it's a top tier card just because it makes the generational performance jump look bigger than it actually is.

Oh, you will get the AMD defence force out now, complaining about Nvidia's prices just to deflect from the point you are making.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Graphic card prices are crap all around IMO from both vendor's and will be going into this next generation with both taking turns to exploit the consumer.

Yeah I agree, I still think a 'high-end' card should start around the £400 area and the fancy strix type RGB nonsense can go higher if people want the bling.

We will have to see what AMD offer us on 28th as they typically compete with nvidia offering similar performance for less than theirs.

Soldato
The nvidia card is not cheaper as Turing broke the mold, look at the graph that was shown in this thread (@danlightbulb ?), you can see Jensen worked his magic if you believe they made it cheaper - its just back to where it was IMO.

I heard my name...

FNuyrbJ.png

Yes what you have to recognise is that the 2080 ti and the 3090 are both outliers. They don't fit in with the pattern. If you ignore the first turing range entirely, and ignore the 2080ti and the 3090, then the underlying pattern is far more clear. On this basis, the 3080 and 3070 (provisional position) are both where they should be. If anything the 3080 is a little too fast, they really went all out on that card it seems, and obviously no one can get one for RRP.

Associate
Got to love the circle jerk in here, Yes I realise its an AMD thread but you should temper your expectations based on historical performance levels and not some leaks taken as "OMG EVIDENCE!"

I expect there will be a lot of back peddling and cap holding going on in 5-6 days. Which was the same thing that happened to Jenson and his fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom