Samsung ultrawide monitors 43" vs 34"

Associate
Hi all

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor and considering ultra wide. I will mainly be using it for work and casual gaming. I get discounts on Samsung products through work and so mainly focused on the following monitors

C34J79 - 34"
https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/curved-c34j79/#benefits

CJ890 - 43"
https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/curved-cj890/#benefits

Each have their pros and cons but I'm interested in views regarding the size of the overall screen and whether 43" would be overkill? One of the benefits of the CJ890 is built in KVM switch which would be valuable to me as I can hook up both my personal pc and work laptop at the same time and multi task.

On the flips side, the CJ890 is 3480 x 1200 vs 3,440 x 1,440 on the C34J79 so will I be compromising on the quality of the display in terms of pixilation if I went for the bigger screen?

In terms of gaming the 43" is 120 Hz, 5ms response time but no support for variable sync vs the 34" is 100 Hz, 4ms and AMD Freesync.

My biggest consideration is the overall size and the practicality of spending hours in front of a 43" ultrawide. Would be good to hear from folks using 43" plus, especially in terms of sustainability (spending hours in front of the screen) and ideal viewing distance (viewing distance will be about 60 - 65cm for me).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, I am also open to other alternatives under £650 (which is my max budget).

Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
I use a 3440x1440 monitor for work and tbh while even more space would be helpful it’s certainly big enough. You mentioned some gaming, do you have a graphics card capable of pushing 3440x1440 at decent frame rates, never mind the bigger resolution?

Associate
OP
I use a 3440x1440 monitor for work and tbh while even more space would be helpful it’s certainly big enough. You mentioned some gaming, do you have a graphics card capable of pushing 3440x1440 at decent frame rates, never mind the bigger resolution?

Thanks. I'm in the process of upgrading my system (waiting on big Navi /3080 availability) so should be ok I hope. I can see the productivity benefits of the 43" and ability to hook up two systems at the same time, just not sure whether 60-70cm viewing distance will be sufficient

Caporegime
The curve really helps I find. I’d also consider a monitor arm, many stands for monitors are quite ‘forward’ and really push the screen towards you.

Back
Top Bottom