What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Well I've gone slightly bonkers with my sound setup on my Tualatin machine! I removed the Turtle Beach Maui and replaced it with a EWS64XL, But I've managed to retain the Kurzweil midi as i populated the breakout bay with a Turtle Beach HOMAC :) I also added a CT2940 with Gen OPL3 and a DB50XG. It's currently all playing nicely in windows and it all comes out the Audigy. Next I have to tackle DOS. I'm going to use @PARUS multi channel mixer for the Audigy. But the DOS setup can wait for tomorrow!

Sound setup is now

Audigy
Vortex 2 MX300 With Trust Korg Module (300)
EWS64XL (310)
EWS64XL Midi-2 (HOMAC) (320)
SB16 DB50XG (330)

Also we get both Crystal FM and OPL3 and SB16 and SB Pro Compatibility.

No I can listen to Passport.midi in many different ways :p:p:p:D

hgJX3Mrl.jpg

Associate
Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how this is turning out. Its an awesome system IMHO. I had one more thing i needed to do though to finish the sound off!

Today I made a line in backplate. I needed to somehow feed the MX300 into the Audigy via an Analogue connection but the MX300 has no internal output headers. I had a bracket in my spares box and salvaged a backplate off a old soundblaster PCI card. Thankfully the jacks lined up spot on. the two jacks are connected to the AUX and CD-IN on the Audigy. Works exactly as I needed it too. Just need to set the levels for DOS using Parus's Audigy Mixer for DOS and then it's done!

T7hhFYfl.jpg
ukqgw8nl.jpg
kBEW2Fkl.jpg

Soldato
I was looking for something a bit faster than my GTX 645 but similar in heat/noise/ power.

I just bought a GTX 295?

Ah well it was only £24 delivered.

Regretting it already considering it isn't going to be very different from my dual 4890 set up I was messing with just this week!

Soldato
I have a lot of love for 295, good times playing BF3 on that card.

It did kill 3 PSUs tho before I got a good one.

Doesn't feel that long ago really!

My worry is my "project PC" PSU is not going to be up to it! It's a 650watt EVGA modular, fairly decent but bronze rated PSU from memory. I was going to test it in my main PC first tbh as this has a 750watt EVGA gold or something PSU in it!

Last edited:
Soldato
My worry is my "project PC" PSU is not going to be up to it! It's a 650watt EVGA modular, fairly decent but bronze rated PSU from memory. I was going to test it in my main PC first tbh as this has a 750watt EVGA gold or something PSU in it!
IIRC it needed ~48amps on the 12v rail. That was where I was falling short. Quite lucky it was only popping PSUs and not taking more with it looking back!

Soldato
My partner has stolen my "good" LCD monitor that has both DVI and VGA in - i.e. I can use two systems on the one screen. She needs it for "work" pfft. So I am back with my VGA only monitor and with my XP PC downloading The Witcher 2 from GOG on that screen I didn't want to disconnect it when setting up a different PC. I ended up using my 10 year old 32" Samsung LED TV to set up my DOS PC!

The Violet V.... *can't think of a cool name beginning with V* .......Violet Verisimilitude (great word) is still going strong! Now with my DX4-100, STB Lightspeed 128 and SB 2.0 (because of Phil's video the other week).

mTwSgGXh.jpg

Today was a day of firsts because it's the first time on a pure DOS PC I've had enough IDE controllers to set up a CF card and a CD-Drive. So I had to set up Config and Autobat for that for the first time. Usually if I am using a CD drive in DOS its on a Windows 98 build which does it (or Phil does it) all for me. I've also realised that my STB Lightspeed 128 2.25Mb has specific drivers for Windows 3.1 so I should be able to get higher resolution and colour display. You'll be pleased to know it's an AMD DX4 so the sticker is valid this time :p

NVfRAoVh.jpg

The TV had no issues at all with any resolutions that DOS has thrown at it so far. It looks alright too for such as large screen with 320*something display for Ultima6

lc7yp48h.jpg

Soldato
Sounds like you had some fun. I like the look of it too!

Today I realized my attempt at multiple soundcards is not working as well as I had hoped and I am not feeling the motivation to look into fixing it...

Tonight I am going to list my SS7 board since I am satisfied it works well now. Going to try the aBit BH6 in its place and see if I can get it to recognise my P3.

Soldato
What's the issue with the sound cards @LewisRaz. Which ones are you trying to use together?
I was trying to use my AWE32(non pnp) as main soundcard and my yamaha cards OPL4 chip for General midi.

It fully worked in windows and in DOS it could use either soundcard for sound.. But it lost the ability to detect the AWE32 for music no matter what address I set. Also the OPL4 chip was missing entire tracks after I had moved it back to 330.

I think I might actually stick with just the yamaha. The sound is a bit cleaner with less effects over it like the AWE.

On the abit board it recognised the p3 fine after putting a new battery in and going to BIOS. Surprised as online it did not sound like it supported cpus of this speed.
Its being a bit special with RAM. Only accepting sticks with chips on both sides.
Stuck a geforce 2 mx in with it and that odd triangle shaped aztech sound card which didnt work in the 486 it came in. It works fine here!

5771 in 3dmark 99 and the highest CPU score I have got with this CPU and this is the 4th board I have used it on! (GA-BX2000+, Asus P2B, JETWAY 994AN-L)

Associate
Try and setup the AWE32 using Unisound. In your autoexec.bat add SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6. Then using the SETUPDS for the Yamaha set 240, I7 D3 Midi 300. If you use Unisound, you can use the command Unisound /CL to list the cards. So for example if the AWE is Card 1, you would run Unisound /C1 and this would initialise the AWE using the Parameters set in the SET BLASTER entry in your autoexec.bat

That should effectively work. Run the line out of the Yam to the AWE. Once it all works just incorporate it into your Autoexec.

edit.. because your card is no pnp, make sure the jumpers match the SET BLASTER settings.

Associate
If you do that though you will loose the Awe ability. Ok reverse the Addresses so awe is 240 I7 D3 D5 P300 and the Yamaha as standard A220 I5 D1 MPU 330 and see if that will work. Still try Unisound in combination with the Awe32. It still needs some software to run for what I read (Diagnose.exe) but you can use unisound instead and you can set volume levels with Unisound too. If you use Unisound /? It will give you all the options.

Soldato
This is blowing my mind for very little gain :p

I can get it mostly working but not as consistent as I would like.

Now even more tempted to stick with the yamaha and cash in on the awe32!

Back
Top Bottom