Faulty Part Fitted By Company, Am I Liable To Pay For Labour Twice?

Soldato
I would send my engineer back out. If you'd broken it, that's one thing. If it arrived broken, it would be up to me as the ops manager or whatever to claim the money back from my supplier. I've done that many times, successfully.

Associate
OP
This isn't your problem it's a company problem. Is the labour costs expensive? How long ago was this?
Labour is £160 approximately (again). Already paid that the first time. New part was fitted no more than 3 weeks ago.
I would send my engineer back out. If you'd broken it, that's one thing. If it arrived broken, it would be up to me as the ops manager or whatever to claim the money back from my supplier. I've done that many times, successfully.
She claims they can not claim costs back from the supplier.

Indeed. An act of parliament that won't stand
lol these were my thoughts when she said that.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
She claims they can not claim costs back from the supplier.

Presumably they have insurance etc for this, or can write it off against their tax. The manufacturer likely won't even want to deal with you for a refund as you're not their customer anyway.

I mean, you said they said "he stated it is not their fault that the pump was faulty". It's not your fault they fitted a dodgy pump either.

Make sure you take some screenshots of their website as no doubt it'll be updated soon to hide that.

Soldato
How did you pay for the original work ? if, a credit card that's maybe an angle, not sure how (labour) services are dealt with though,
I wouldn't discuss that with them initially though, in case they just say, that will sort it.

Household insurance that might include legal costs, might be another threat.

Commissario
How did you pay for the original work ? if, a credit card that's maybe an angle, not sure how (labour) services are dealt with though,
I wouldn't discuss that with them initially though, in case they just say, that will sort it.

If it was paid for as one transaction he'd likely get a full refund on the credit card as it would be treated as a single item as the cost of the repair included both (so both had to be satisfactory and delivered).
When Courts went bust my parents had a carpet and fitting outstanding, Barclaycard just had them fill in a form despite the fact that Courts offered to let my parents pick up the carpet, the attitude was that as Carpet, Fitting, Extras and Delivery were all done as a single transaction any part of it not being provided was grounds for a full refund.

Associate
OP

Bank Transfer

Associate
OP
Thanks all for input so far. It is very much appreciated.

I have drafted a formal letter listing out the issues, along with the action I intend to take, I will email this to them either this weekend or Monday. It also gives them 1 final chance to do the right thing before I start court proceedings.

Will keep you all updated.

Soldato
Just had a call from the fitting company saying they can provide a new pump free, but they will have to charge for the labour. They are saying that I can liaise with the manufacturer for a refund of the labour, but there is nothing they can do. He stated it is not their fault that the pump was faulty, and they should not have to pay for their engineers time for a problem that is not their fault.

Any advice on how to proceed? Any specific law that can be cited that is relevant?

If you supplied the pump then ok if they did then tell them to fix or fully refund. Not your issue. Thats why they put a % on the parts.
If you bought a brand new car and the doors fell off you'd not expect to be charged for putting them back on

Soldato
Thanks all for input so far. It is very much appreciated.

I have drafted a formal letter listing out the issues, along with the action I intend to take, I will email this to them either this weekend or Monday. It also gives them 1 final chance to do the right thing before I start court proceedings.

Will keep you all updated.

Before court you'll need to send a 7 day LBA notice

Soldato
I run a small business installing in commercial and residential properties and would never charge additional labour time unless the fault lay with the customer or 'act of god', me buying something that is faulty doesn't come under those two headings!

Caporegime
Get them to do the job and pay online but only send them a penny. When they start whinging tell them that the bank screwed up and that it'll cost exactly the same as the labour charge minus a penny to sort it.

Associate
OP
Sent the email this morning with the accompanying legal references this morning at 8.00am. Just had a call that an engineer will be out at 12:00pm to resolve this today. Looks like the email with the legal jargon made them fold.

Thanks all for the help!

Back
Top Bottom