New rad, should I flush through first

Soldato
Getting a new EK PE360 rad

before using it should I flush it through with cold water to get rid of any manufacturing crap that may be inside?

1000000000000% yes you wont believe what comes out. Distilled vinegar from tesco and water, shake and pour, repeat until clear comes out no flux.

Soldato
of course always flush. I just flushed a 140 corsair and was very clean tbh. I also used a few drops of mayhems prep 2 and shook it around.

Soldato
Definitely, I just washed out my new 420mm EK rad. No bits in it but got a load of blue coloured liquid out of it.
No idea what it was but would have been a bit miffed if that ended up in my new loop.

Soldato
Both my alphacool rads where clean but I still flushed with white vinegar 50/50 with hot water and let them sit for a while then flushed with tap water and built the loop with the xspc filter and ran it with water I bought from ocuk,ran that a few hour's then put the mayhem's clear in.

Associate
As tempting as it is to cut corners, don't. Everything you do now will potentially save you a massive headache later. I wash and flush my rads, blocks, and fittings and tubes. That maybe a bit OCD of me, but I have never had any weird gunk grow in my loops, or weird things block up the fins of my blocks, and I mainly maintain my loops maybe 6-10 months at a time

Associate
OP
As tempting as it is to cut corners, don't. Everything you do now will potentially save you a massive headache later. I wash and flush my rads, blocks, and fittings and tubes. That maybe a bit OCD of me, but I have never had any weird gunk grow in my loops, or weird things block up the fins of my blocks, and I mainly maintain my loops maybe 6-10 months at a time
No, i have the proper fluid but OC sent the wrong fitting so will have to wait until they arrive so just want to do a trial run

Soldato
Absolutely flush new radiators - could be anything from soldering flux, machining burrs or paint overspray in there. I like to use hot water and shake thoroughly for several repetitions, then do the same with dilute vinegar (50/50 at strongest). Finish with a few good rinses with distilled water and even run a loop circulating through the radiator, with a bowl to catch any crud.

Definitely, I just washed out my new 420mm EK rad. No bits in it but got a load of blue coloured liquid out of it.
No idea what it was but would have been a bit miffed if that ended up in my new loop.
That's dissolved copper, leaving acid in the radiator for a while will start breaking the copper down. Not a big deal if it's just a blue tint but obviously don't repeat it too often! Were you using vinegar? You could dilute it a little more if so.

Back
Top Bottom