Netflix to cut streaming quality in Europe for 30 days

Associate
I strongly suspect that the app/browser on the mobile will be using a different version of the encode to the desktop/TV versions, IIRC netflix have a bunch of different encoding versions that are used based on current bandwidth and device type.
This makes sense. Kind of makes having a nice phone screen less worthwhile.

Soldato
Soldato
I'd suspect if you have a faster 5g service you'll get a higher bitrate from netflix - 5% uk data on 5g and usually 5x faster,
but ..... I suppose I am intrigued what satisfaction you get from watching netflix on a phone, too, versus tv,
I can imagine watching an iplayer catch up newsnight say, where the audio is more important than video, but otherwise ?

https://www.opensignal.com/2020/10/13/benchmarking-the-global-5g-user-experience-october-update
Don't really know what 5G has to do with the mobile Netflix experience. Bandwidth is bandwidth surely? But phones have different screen res, operating system, decode hardware to TVs and computers so they would change the available video files.

I don't think Netflix ever modifies audio quality in bandwidth either. Generally with DASH video you just serve the one audio quality level. Obviously different files for different audio formats, sure, but again not a bandwidth thing.

Soldato
Don't really know what 5G has to do with the mobile Netflix experience
yes I mean if 5g is delivering consistant/stddev high bandwidth & ping response, above 10Mb/s, that may unlock the best dash streams you can't get with 4G
buffer under-run must be a problem on lower ram hardware too, so, agree hardware plays into it.

Soldato
I'd suspect if you have a faster 5g service you'll get a higher bitrate from netflix - 5% uk data on 5g and usually 5x faster,
but ..... I suppose I am intrigued what satisfaction you get from watching netflix on a phone, too, versus tv,
I can imagine watching an iplayer catch up newsnight say, where the audio is more important than video, but otherwise ?

https://www.opensignal.com/2020/10/13/benchmarking-the-global-5g-user-experience-october-update
As I say, it's if I'm stuck next to the kids and they're watching YouTube on TV. Not sure I could get away watching better call Saul on a second tv incase they wander in lol. I'm watching it on WiFi so a decent connection.

Caporegime
OP
Do you get different picture quality from different devices? I have a virgin TiVo box, firestick and my TV has a Netflix app too.

Nvidia shield pro has ai upscaling. Which makes 1080p streams look like 4k through magic. Sometimes it artifacts with twitch streams but YouTube and Amazon prime are spot on I cancelled Netflix but Linus tech tips said no point paying for uhd if you buy one of these it's that good.

It is however a £200 media streamer.

Soldato
Nvidia shield pro has ai upscaling. Which makes 1080p streams look like 4k through magic. Sometimes it artifacts with twitch streams but YouTube and Amazon prime are spot on I cancelled Netflix but Linus tech tips said no point paying for uhd if you buy one of these it's that good.

It is however a £200 media streamer.

My in-laws TV seems to upscale everything. Sometimes it looks a bit odd. Like the actor looks good but the back ground looks poor quality.

YouTube on the TiVo box is poor quality companies to my phone when casting or the YouTube app on the TV.

Caporegime
OP
My in-laws TV seems to upscale everything. Sometimes it looks a bit odd. Like the actor looks good but the back ground looks poor quality.

YouTube on the TiVo box is poor quality companies to my phone when casting or the YouTube app on the TV.

All TV's upscale otherwise you wouldn't have a full screen picture.

It's the upscaling chip and in Nvidia shield pros case the hardware smart upscaling which actually sharpens and touches the picture and it works because it's a £200 piece of hardware.

Most upscalers in TV's are pennies or in terms of high end sets a quid or two. So the better the TV the better the upscaler usually. However nothing beats the Nvidia shield pro plenty of YouTube videos on its upscaling.

Back
Top Bottom