Synology NAS Upgrade ALL HDD

Soldato
Whats the best way to upgrade ALL the HDD in my synology NAS without losing data.

I have 4x 3tb and want to upgrade to 4x8tb

Associate
Depends how you have them currently configured.

If you are using Raid then you'll have to copy all the data off of that Raid, replace the HDDs and then copy all the data back.

If you are using SHR then you could replace the HDDs one at a time with a parity re-sync after each replacement. You will be without a parity disk during this process, so make sure your data is backed up.

Soldato
OP
Depends how you have them currently configured.

If you are using Raid then you'll have to copy all the data off of that Raid, replace the HDDs and then copy all the data back.

If you are using SHR then you could replace the HDDs one at a time with a parity re-sync after each replacement. You will be without a parity disk during this process, so make sure your data is backed up.

I have 4 hdd but spilt into 2 volumes 5tb and 3tb Using SHR would having 2 volumes create any issues

Associate
Shouldn't be a problem, you are effectively simulating a HDD failure and replacement. SHR should protect against that by having 1 of the drive as a parity check in case of a failure.

Check your current storage pool is reporting a normal status, turn off, swap 1 HDD, turn on, repair the storage pool, repeat until all HDDs replaced.

It will take *some* time.

Soldato
OP
If the NAS is only really for Photography backup and Films. Do I need a "NAS"HDD ie. Ironwolf NAS or will the barracuda Compute version be ok. Or am I best getting a 7200rpm HDD

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Definitely don’t go for 7200 rpm drives. They will just be hotter and louder for no good reason. HGST drives are the best ones right now, but fairly expensive. I have 8TB Reds that I got from shucking external WD drives.

if you could borrow an external 8TB this is what I would do:

- Back up the whole NAS to the external 8T
- Power off
- Number all the old drives and remove them. Store them safely; they are your emergency fallback
- Insert the new 8T drives and setup the NAS as brand new
- Restore the backup

if it all goes pear shaped you still have the original drives which you should be able to put back in and restore to the original configuration (the OS and the configuration is all stored on the drives).

Soldato
OP
Definitely don’t go for 7200 rpm drives. They will just be hotter and louder for no good reason. HGST drives are the best ones right now, but fairly expensive. I have 8TB Reds that I got from shucking external WD drives.

if you could borrow an external 8TB this is what I would do:

- Back up the whole NAS to the external 8T
- Power off
- Number all the old drives and remove them. Store them safely; they are your emergency fallback
- Insert the new 8T drives and setup the NAS as brand new
- Restore the backup

if it all goes pear shaped you still have the original drives which you should be able to put back in and restore to the original configuration (the OS and the configuration is all stored on the drives).

Can get a Ultrastar HC530 14TB Enterprise for £244. That seems a bargain!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I did what Rotor said as well for mine, but I didn't have the ability to borrow a drive.

Synology lets you deploy it initially as SHR, which is equivalent to Raid 5. So you can put less disks in initially, then copy stuff over, add more disks in after.

Need to start with at least 2 disks if doing this way.

Soldato
I did exactly as you’re planning to do. My diskstation is using synologys own raid version so I shut it down and replaced a single drive, restarted the diskstation and did a rebuild. Next night I did the next drive and the same again until all four were in. Then I had to extend the volume but it wouldn’t let me make a single one so I had to split and have a second for part of the new capacity.
Worked out fine but took a while :)

Soldato
I did exactly as you’re planning to do. My diskstation is using synologys own raid version so I shut it down and replaced a single drive, restarted the diskstation and did a rebuild. Next night I did the next drive and the same again until all four were in. Then I had to extend the volume but it wouldn’t let me make a single one so I had to split and have a second for part of the new capacity.
Worked out fine but took a while :)

I have previously considered the same option as this, but rebuild times can be long, especially for larger drives.

In addition you then lose the ability to plug the old drives back in, so if anything goes wrong you have no recourse

Personally prefer to copy the data off if possible, less risky.

Back
Top Bottom