Greta Thunberg

Soldato
To be honest I believe when she says she first got into saving the planet when she was 8 and couldn't believe nobody was listening.
I also believe that her parents took no notice of her until they had to, autistics can be quite demanding.
I believe that she started the school strikes and then when her name was getting known adults started to get involved such as Attenborough.

She is diagnosed autistic so acts very differently from the norm, it also means she gets obsessed.

I can't keep up with this, is Asperger's (which I believe shes talked about having) a sub set of autism now?

Either way, I've worked with someone had that.

Great guy, socially terrible, but at heart he was a good un.

He was also brilliant in his way, totally obsessed with data and if you gave him a task he would work all hours to deliver the most brilliant results.

Soldato
No. This is a matter of opinion to me, and that's enough. Also, I am starting to find your wanton railing on this matter rather amusing, and the continual suggestion that I bolster my points is more likely to yield further annoying comments [for you]. So you can either stick me on ignore or let bygones be bygones.

Understood.

No, someone admitting they dont have any knowledge and they are going out of their way to comment on a subject because they feel something is the curse of the modern world.

This is how we end up with Trump and Brexit.

Caporegime
If that message is that we need to better care of our environment, then does it really matter? If people pay attention what's the downside, that we improve our situation slightly?

This. It doesn't matter who's saying it. If it gets done and that person helps they will likely be looked at in history as someone who made a difference.

Which is very high accolade.

She's getting the message across to kids. That can only be a good thing. Progress is slow on the environment. But she's helped keep it in peoples minds. Even negative talk is still talk.

Soldato

It's a very fluid subject, my mechanic's sons have been in special education for years due to the fact they have such severe symptoms, and she's very active in the autism world as a result so I've heard a lot from her about dealing with that.

But they are are a very different part of the scale to my nephew who was suddenly diagnosed with some sort of autism when he was 11 ish and started acting up.

Somehow his condition is activated by stress, but also his stress triggers are much easier to pull than most people, unfortunately he ends up lashing out physically.

Capodecina
Soldato
That's not controlling.
That's just killing people.

The earth will come back with a new species.

I think it's probably more accurate to say we can control the large majority of life on Earth in the short-term. We can't wipe everything out, but most things. Other things, such as geological cycles and weather systems are hard, if not impossible to control.

Killing a species is also controlling it.

Soldato
To be honest I believe when she says she first got into saving the planet when she was 8 and couldn't believe nobody was listening.
I also believe that her parents took no notice of her until they had to, autistics can be quite demanding.
I believe that she started the school strikes and then when her name was getting known adults started to get involved such as Attenborough.

She is diagnosed autistic so acts very differently from the norm, it also means she gets obsessed.

Your a push over :)

Anyone can point out what's wrong.
It's the person that comes up with an answer to the problem that I will like.

As as said with proof.
The world has heated up many many times before.
And after comes the freeze.

Soldato
If that message is that we need to better care of our environment, then does it really matter? If people pay attention what's the downside, that we improve our situation slightly?

Never read my other posts or links.

At the end of the day.
The whole universe will end...and there's nothing you can do about it.
So while your here....Have fun :)

Soldato
For someone with a condition that leads to such intense obsessive focus on one topic (i.e. climate change) it was sure weird when she briefly started piling in on all the BLM rhetoric though wasn't it?

So did the "extreme focus" that is so often rolled out as yet another excuse have some kind of momentary lapse... or did her parents / handlers decide to see what other of their ideologies they could push through her onto social media?

Soldato
At the end of the day.
The whole universe will end...and there's nothing you can do about it.
sure. one day the sun will extinguish and nothing will matter, but that day is a looooooong time in the future.

off topic, but if you ever want to feel insignificant watch:
A Journey to the End of Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

So while your here....Have fun :)
thats extremely simplistic, the issues we're creating now could affect only a couple of generations into the future. or shall I lob another tyre on the fire?

Caporegime
Tbh I'm much more concerned about habitat loss and species extinction.

Things that there is absolutely no doubt are caused by us - we're 100% to blame.

And things that we could stop doing tomorrow if there was the political will - or collective will - to stop. Sadly, there isn't. We're still ploughing ahead clearing forests to raise billions upon billions of cattle so we can all eat more (and cheaper) burgers.

My outlook is very bleak.

If we can't muster the collective will to stop destroying habitat - because it's profitable - I have no hope for anything less tangible or less immediately obvious in terms of consequences, like climate change.

If we can't muster the collective will to stop treating animals like ****, poaching them, destroying the wild places they need to survive, intensively farming at the cost of animal welfare - if we can't fix any of those then what **** hope of fixing the climate.

Nah, we'll just keep on chasing profits until we've slashed and burning the whole damn planet, and we're the only species (barely) standing.

Enough people still haven't learned that if we don't act as caretakers (for the flora and fauna of this planet) then we'll only make things worse for ourselves.

And some people don't care because they don't think things will get really bad in their lifetimes.

It's the human condition in all its glory.

Soldato
Tbh I'm much more concerned about habitat loss and species extinction.
agreed. it is very soul destroying that there are countries like brazil who would rather burn the rainforest down, destroying habitat and animals, and product palm oil and beef in the pursuit of $$$ we're pretty screwed.

(not that our own country is blameless)

Soldato
sure. one day the sun will extinguish and nothing will matter, but that day is a looooooong time in the future.

off topic, but if you ever want to feel insignificant watch:
A Journey to the End of Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

thats extremely simplistic, the issues we're creating now could affect only a couple of generations into the future. or shall I lob another tyre on the fire?

If you can't have fun. what's the point?
I'm disabled in a chair. But I'm having so much fun :)

RxR

RxR

Soldato
If you can't have fun. what's the point?
I'm disabled in a chair. But I'm having so much fun :)

Didn't Nietzsche have the same justification? Him being personally hobbled, imagined a superman persona. E. Thus (historically) becoming Hitlers poster child. The environmental effects of that weren't great either.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't keep up with this, is Asperger's (which I believe shes talked about having) a sub set of autism now?
Either way, I've worked with someone had that.
Great guy, socially terrible, but at heart he was a good un.
He was also brilliant in his way, totally obsessed with data and if you gave him a task he would work all hours to deliver the most brilliant results.

You've summed it up and yes it's a form of autism as others have pointed out.
I used to have two students with aspergers and if you gave them work to do they did it better than anyone else as long as you gave the right instructions.
My wife works with autistic kids and she deserves a medal.

Soldato
There probably isn't one person on these forums that would have a hatred for David Attenborough or what he says but have a 17 year old girl say it and some are triggered.

Incorrect, i loved and respected David Attenborough for decades but that's all pretty much gone now because in the last couple of years he's swallowed the Greta pill and went full retard. And the last couple of Nature shows he produced are almost unwatchable to all the climate preaching and constant drum-beat of eco this and that.

Back
Top Bottom