Google Pixel 5

Soldato
Yup that's where my setting is.

I'm with Three so it seems to be network dependent

Either way I'm not 14 hours off charger with 2 hours SOT and only down to 72% so huge improvement
I'm with 3 too.

I did ask them before the phone arrived whether I needed to change my contract to get 5G but they said it's all included with their current plans.

I'm on 5 hours SOT and am at 20%, off charge since about 6.40 this morning. I have been rinsing it with hotspot, music and video though!

Associate
They should go after being selected, so that's odd. Some apps need persistent notifications these days, but you can usually turn them off by holding down on them and selecting to turn off.

Yeah, some dont. Even when I press clear all it rays there.i can hold it down and change it to not notify me but with some apps there's like 10+ options of what notifications to turn off and others are a bit ambiguous with general etc. I don't wish to even turn it off just disappear when I swipe right or clear all

Yes, I'm seeing that a few times a day. Must just be a bug.
I'm also seeing it showing no signal when my phone is in aeroplane mode.

Glad it's not just me then. Seems to be certain apps that keep doing it. My Barclays for one bit there are a few others but can't remember which off the top of my head. Annoying

Soldato
My Barclays for one bit there are a few others but can't remember which off the top of my head. Annoying

As already said though, this isn't a bug, it's simply a persistent notification. Android requires them for apps that wish to stay alive and do things in the background. It's very easy to turn off. Select 'Turn off' and the one you need to turn off is even flashing for you... (Having just tried it on an Instagram notification)

Other apps (like Accubattery for example) let you turn it off in the app settings, but you have to accept that the app might be killed in the background.

Associate
As already said though, this isn't a bug, it's simply a persistent notification. Android requires them for apps that wish to stay alive and do things in the background. It's very easy to turn off. Select 'Turn off' and the one you need to turn off is even flashing for you... (Having just tried it on an Instagram notification)

Other apps (like Accubattery for example) let you turn it off in the app settings, but you have to accept that the app might be killed in the background.

It says BARCLAYS_CONTACTLESS_MOBILE. I don't wish to turn this off because I wish to be notified when I make contactless payments :confused:

Soldato
It says BARCLAYS_CONTACTLESS_MOBILE. I don't wish to turn this off because I wish to be notified when I make contactless payments :confused:

I'm a little confused. You want the notification? You need to be notified when you make a contactless payment? Do you often do this without realising?

From the Barclays website, their reasoning is -

The notification is always displayed so that you can remain in control and see that the link between the Barclaycard app and your device's contactless functionality is active, allowing you to make contactless payments.

I personally would say 'I'm fine thanks, I don't need a constant reminder' and turn it off.

It's interesting, in one thread, one guy says -

As for the notification thing, too right I want to be reminded. If I leave the app and NFC running, anyone with a mobile e-store can walk past my pocket and take a payment from me.

That's from a few years ago. I don't know we can actually still turn NFC off, right?

Soldato
does that apply to those with only 4g sims? assume 5g isn't on without the 5g sim?
I'm with EE and have a 4G sim, but I'm not seeing the 5G option in my settings at all either.
I'm waiting for black Friday to see what 5G sim only deals EE come up with, so I guess I won't know until then if it's the sim dictating the option.

Associate
I'm a little confused. You want the notification? You need to be notified when you make a contactless payment? Do you often do this without realising?

From the Barclays website, their reasoning is -

I personally would say 'I'm fine thanks, I don't need a constant reminder' and turn it off.

It's interesting, in one thread, one guy says -

That's from a few years ago. I don't know we can actually still turn NFC off, right?

Thanks for looking into this I guess it makes sense. Sure you need your phone unlocked for contactles ls to work though? I couldn't find the NFC in the quick access settings but it's in settings

Because the big full screen "you just paid x amount" isn't enough?

What? Most tills don't have a big screen it's displayed on the card machine and I usually don't look I just tap my phone and look at at it on the way out as a check

Soldato
Makes no sense. Like he's secure and it won't happen by being constantly reminded? So if he put his phone down, with the notification he is safe, but without it he will be robbed? Weird.

You don't get where he says "If I leave the app and NFC running, anyone with a mobile e-store can walk past my pocket and take a payment from me." that it's not to secure him while it's running, it's to let him know he's 'vulnerable' in his eyes and he will turn NFC off...?

I couldn't find the NFC in the quick access settings but it's in settings

So it is, I think they moved it, right? I might be remembering wrong, but I thought it used to be in network settings with WiFi?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom