Computer desk: What would you do?

Associate
OP
I got my big Desk from Ikea for £70 15 years ago and still going strong...2 x 34" monitors and still loads of room

Cheers, I see a lot of people get theirs from there without any complaints, Saying that I was looking at the glass one as I liked the idea of something different, until I read about them exploding in some cases.

Associate
OP
That's nasty :D

I got this at the start of Covid lockdown for £180
'Office Hippo Professional Cantilever Office Desk, Wood, White, White Frame, 160 x 80 x 73 cm'
Along with '3 Drawers 5 Wheels Mobile File Cabinet Filing Pedestal Lockable Storage for A4 Metal Solid Pedestal with Keys' which was £100

The 180cm one is £190.
'Office Hippo Professional Cantilever Office Desk, Wood, White, White Frame, 180 x 80 x 73 cm'

Its great quality for the price, similar to the desk in my office (office is now at home) It fits my personal setup (Acer predator X34), micro monitor speakers, work laptop and 2x 24" works screens

How did your delivery go did they take the pallet away?

Soldato
How did your delivery go did they take the pallet away?
Pallet, what pallet?

It comes flat packed. Two large main piece (desk and privacy back) 4x legs, 2x base pieces and screws. It didnt take long to assemble and managed by myself. I have a hard head so used that to support the main desk whilst screwing on some other bits :D

Associate
OP
Pallet, what pallet?

It comes flat packed. Two large main piece (desk and privacy back) 4x legs, 2x base pieces and screws. It didnt take long to assemble and managed by myself. I have a hard head so used that to support the main desk whilst screwing on some other bits :D

Im guessing you got it from the rainforest? been reading reviews and they all say it arrived on a pallet.

Caporegime
I've not used ikea desks before, but I buy a typical computer type desk. If you google 'Tully II Narrow Rectangular Desk' it should be the first hit. Its £104 with free delivery for the 1200x600. Looks great in white for a modern look. I've had many desks from this place over the years and none have ever fell apart, I have always sold them on as I decided to upgrade in size or change colour.

Here is my old setup with a 27" monitor on it. 1200x600mm desk.

kkEPBnVh.jpg

vs my newer 1800 x 800mm (I thought it was 1600mm wide, sorry, I just checked!)
tJ2kdENh.jpg
Nice upgrade.

I'm struggling to find speaker stands!
My karby desk is basically same width. And it's just right.

I pretty much had same before and after as you. Just mine is dark

Soldato
Thanks. It was required due to the hifi equipment I wanted to put on the desk!

I really like the stands I ended up with, despite not realizing they were not sold as 'pairs' and having to pay two lots of £8 delivery! They are heavy, height adjustable and I like the look of them. They are: K&M 26772

Soldato
Im guessing you got it from the rainforest? been reading reviews and they all say it arrived on a pallet.
Yeh, rainforest. It may have came out the delivery van on a pallet but came into my building lobby flat packed. I remember because it carried it by myself through 4 doors, a courtyard and up 3 flights of stairs :)

Associate
Thanks. It was required due to the hifi equipment I wanted to put on the desk!

I really like the stands I ended up with, despite not realizing they were not sold as 'pairs' and having to pay two lots of £8 delivery! They are heavy, height adjustable and I like the look of them. They are: K&M 26772
How much was your Mirra 1 and how do you find it?

Associate
OP
Yeh, rainforest. It may have came out the delivery van on a pallet but came into my building lobby flat packed. I remember because it carried it by myself through 4 doors, a courtyard and up 3 flights of stairs :)

Cheers, But you don't really have to tell me how strong you are :D:p I also have 3 flights of stairs I may have more steps than you though lol

Soldato
So, from my own reading, the best thing to do is get a worktop of your choosing, then just use those linked ADILS legs. Pretty simple stuff.

If you get lateral wobble on the ADILS, you can use some epoxy glue on the screw joint to lock it down permanently - no more wobble (this is due to IKEA's fantastic tolerances). Beyond that, the only way to make it stable without an ALEX drawer would be a couple of trestles.

Soldato
Cheers, But you don't really have to tell me how strong you are :D:p I also have 3 flights of stairs I may have more steps than you though lol
:D When it arrives, put a garmin/fitbit on to count the steps! Dont worry im having to self isolate for another week so i'll be like a slug soon. Powered on takeaways

Associate
So, from my own reading, the best thing to do is get a worktop of your choosing, then just use those linked ADILS legs. Pretty simple stuff.

If you get lateral wobble on the ADILS, you can use some epoxy glue on the screw joint to lock it down permanently - no more wobble (this is due to IKEA's fantastic tolerances). Beyond that, the only way to make it stable without an ALEX drawer would be a couple of trestles.
I used Olov legs so I could set the height just right, but they are a little wobbly around the height adjustment mechanism.

Associate
Yeah, the OLOV legs can be harder to set right. It's a shame that the standard size of 70cm is more ergonomic for 6ft people, and I have no idea why that's the standard.

Probably the same reason early airbags seemed to kill women more than expected- assumptions and biases among designers.

Back
Top Bottom