Indoor rowing - Concept 2

Soldato
Well, a massive, massive PB yesterday! took a whole split off my lifetime PB, and knocked 1.7s off the one above! So happy with it. Honestly was buzzing for about 3 hours after finishing it :D

Soldato
Nice! Looks like you started off fairly conservatively as well considering how strong the finish was, you could probably get a few extra metres on that. :)

Soldato
I've just seen they've announced the BRIC for this year. It's going to be a virtual one this time though not surprisingly.

Seeing as I missed out on the last couple due to badly time injuries and illness, I'm tempted to sign up for this one. I'm in reasonably good form at the moment and have a couple months to train hard. It will also give me something to aim for as now Liverpool is in Tier 3, the climbing walls are closed.

Soldato
30min rate 20, a real rowers exercise!

Probably why I've always sucked at 30r20 sessions! :(

I signed up for the virtual BRIC in December and as this months IRL challenge was 1 mile, I thought I'd use it to see how far off the pace I am for the 2k. I reckon I could squeeze a bit more out of my time, so that puts me around the 7min mark for 2k. My aim is a sub 7 time, so with 6 weeks to train properly that should be doable.

lFhyYZgl.jpg

Soldato
30min rate 20, a real rowers exercise!

Yep, we're doing them every two weeks at the moment, and really starting to enjoy them...

Probably why I've always sucked at 30r20 sessions! :(

I signed up for the virtual BRIC in December and as this months IRL challenge was 1 mile, I thought I'd use it to see how far off the pace I am for the 2k. I reckon I could squeeze a bit more out of my time, so that puts me around the 7min mark for 2k. My aim is a sub 7 time, so with 6 weeks to train properly that should be doable.

Nice, I think I'll be doing the virtual BRIC (or we will be as a club).

You should hit sub 7 easily with 6 weeks training, another 400m on that piece should be easily doable!

Had a submax 2km prep erg today, so 1km on 2km pace and then the second 1km +4-6 splits. Anyway, I lifetime PB'd by 4 seconds, so that bodes well for the first 2km test of the year next week! Had loads left at the end two, as my power curve below shows!

Soldato
Another 30r20 today, honest to god the worst I've felt in a test ever. Thought I was going to blow about 6mins in, and just had to absolutely bury myself and dig in to make it through. Did not enjoy one bit.

Still PBd though :D so two PBs two days in a row - I guess I can take that

Soldato
so two PBs two days in a row - I guess I can take that

Always good! :D

I'm guessing I'm going to be back on furlough this week and seeing as I'm not going to be able to go climbing indoors or out, it's going to give me plenty of time to hammer the erg. At least that should stop me going crazy. I did the rugby test in the week which is supposedly a good indicator of 2k pace and hit a 1:45.4, much faster than this time last year.

Associate
Another 30r20 today, honest to god the worst I've felt in a test ever. Thought I was going to blow about 6mins in, and just had to absolutely bury myself and dig in to make it through. Did not enjoy one bit.

Still PBd though :D so two PBs two days in a row - I guess I can take that

I feel your 30min rate 20 is lagging your 2k.

Or at the very least I feel could go to the gym tomorrow and match it without to much pain but matching the 2k would really hurt if that makes sense?

Well done on the PBs btw, good momentum you have to get faster!

Associate
Always good! :D

I'm guessing I'm going to be back on furlough this week and seeing as I'm not going to be able to go climbing indoors or out, it's going to give me plenty of time to hammer the erg. At least that should stop me going crazy. I did the rugby test in the week which is supposedly a good indicator of 2k pace and hit a 1:45.4, much faster than this time last year.

I did the rugby test yeeeeeeears ago, can you remind me what it was please - the one I’m thinking of was something like 1250m 3min rest, 750m 2.5min rest, 500m 2 min rest, 250m 2 min rest, 750m, something like that? The England rugby squad would consider 11mins a good score but for rowers it was more like 10 mins.

Soldato
I did the rugby test yeeeeeeears ago, can you remind me what it was please - the one I’m thinking of was something like 1250m 3min rest, 750m 2.5min rest, 500m 2 min rest, 250m 2 min rest, 750m, something like that? The England rugby squad would consider 11mins a good score but for rowers it was more like 10 mins.

Yeh that's the one, first rep is 1000m though. The last 750 is a killer! Mine was about 11mins 25 so not quite rugby squad material, but then I'm not exactly built for rugby either. :D

Associate
Yeh that's the one, first rep is 1000m though. The last 750 is a killer! Mine was about 11mins 25 so not quite rugby squad material, but then I'm not exactly built for rugby either. :D

Nice, yeah I remember the 250m being a nice little reprieve and last 750m being an absolute horror. I think the answer was to just chill on the 250m (relatively speaking) as it really contributes naff all to the time and then you have a more gusto for the final 750m.

I think I’ll do this today as my last erg for the foreseeable - damn you lockdown!

Soldato
Looking at some of those photos above. I notice my usual stride is around 30-32s/m.

I’ve only just joined this gym (terrible timing) and my most recent 1000m time was 3:46 which I’m pretty happy with.

I seem to have deleted my Note with all the times from last time I was at the gym.

Am I better to concentrate on slower harder strokes like some of you guys above?

For reference in 6’3 and 95kg. So in theory a decent size for rowing. I know it used to annoy some old mates I went to the gym with as they were much stronger than me but shorter and lighter and I’d always beat them :D

Associate

So I made this test my last workout before lockdown - thought I would aim for 1:35/1:36 constantly and pretty much did it except for the psychologically damaging 750m where I stopped and had to have words with myself to restart :mad: I’m fairly sure I used to be just sub 20 mins but I’m happy enough with this (10.22)
YGntdmg

Associate
Looking at some of those photos above. I notice my usual stride is around 30-32s/m.

I’ve only just joined this gym (terrible timing) and my most recent 1000m time was 3:46 which I’m pretty happy with.

I seem to have deleted my Note with all the times from last time I was at the gym.

Am I better to concentrate on slower harder strokes like some of you guys above?

For reference in 6’3 and 95kg. So in theory a decent size for rowing. I know it used to annoy some old mates I went to the gym with as they were much stronger than me but shorter and lighter and I’d always beat them :D

Do what works for you. I’m a smidge taller and a bit lighter than and like stroking a bit slower than most 26-28spm, is comfy for me.

Associate
Yep, we're doing them every two weeks at the moment, and really starting to enjoy them...

Nice, I think I'll be doing the virtual BRIC (or we will be as a club).

You should hit sub 7 easily with 6 weeks training, another 400m on that piece should be easily doable!

Had a submax 2km prep erg today, so 1km on 2km pace and then the second 1km +4-6 splits. Anyway, I lifetime PB'd by 4 seconds, so that bodes well for the first 2km test of the year next week! Had loads left at the end two, as my power curve below shows!

This is some serious effort. Don't mind me asking what's your sport background? How long you're rowing for?

Soldato

I tend to do different stroke rates depending on the session I'm doing. Speed intervals are usually 30+, endurance intervals around 27, steady states 23 and slow recovery rows at 20. I'm 5'10 and 69kg though but these rates work for me.

So I made this test my last workout before lockdown - thought I would aim for 1:35/1:36 constantly and pretty much did it except for the psychologically damaging 750m where I stopped and had to have words with myself to restart :mad: I’m fairly sure I used to be just sub 20 mins but I’m happy enough with this (10.22)
YGntdmg

Good work, yeh that last 750 is a nasty kick at the end. It's quite a fun session though! (If fun is the right word for it?) :D

Soldato
Cheers guys, i'll have a play around with a slower stroke rate to see how things feel. Obviously wont be for a while now though!

Interestingly, i just dug out my posts in the old "How quick can you row 1000m" thread and it seems my times were a little over 4 minutes, so to turn up after 2 years and do 3:46 feels pretty decent.

Shame about gym closures as was enjoying it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I could see that. I've considered it a few times, especially the water ones, though i believe they're not as good for intervals. We do have a (mostly unused) cross trainer upstairs that my wife wanted, so feel it'd go the same way.

I'm a runner firstly and generally hate doing cardio indoors, but i do enjoy a rower when i'm near one.

Back
Top Bottom