There is a NUC sized computer can take 3.5HDD

Soldato
OP
I don't think so. How about a NUC + networked HDD/NAS?
Want the power of a proper processor rather than intel Atom or ARM processor for transcoding

also the data is already in the HDD. So need to have windows to use the data and run Plex server. Otherwise I will end up forming out for another HDD.

Soldato
Certainly no nuc, a nuc sized computer is the size of a 3.5 HDD almost lol. But I bet you could buy a nuc and connect up the HDD via some extension lead.

Seems all a bit pointless though. Just build a small PC with a supermicro to run freenas with Plex over the top.

Soldato
OP
Certainly no nuc, a nuc sized computer is the size of a 3.5 HDD almost lol. But I bet you could buy a nuc and connect up the HDD via some extension lead.

Seems all a bit pointless though. Just build a small PC with a supermicro to run freenas with Plex over the top.
That’s what I am planning on doing. However really like the idea of fanless system and low power consumption especially if I am planning on running it 24/7.

and also less conspicuous.

Soldato
OP
Not just use a USB caddy for it?

Surely with USB3.0 there won't be any bottlenecks?
I do have a USB caddy. But experience with usb caddy has been that they mess up HDD in the long run. I have had 3 HDD die on my in caddies (Silverstone and icy dock or icy box whatever it is called). I avoid them like plague now.

Soldato
OP
managed to find a case that can take 3.5HDD thats NUC sized.

Case: Silvertstone Milo 10 (there are loads of chinese alternatives but the delivery is over 2 months so no thanks)
PSU: picoPSU direct ATX 150W with 60w external 204v to 12V DC Power Brick
Motherboard and CPU: Asrock J4125-ITX with intel celeron gemini lake J4125 with 10bit HEVC encode/decode (passive cooling)
Storage: 6TB Ironwolf and MP510 M.2 (the M.2 will need to be a bit creative as the board doesnt have M.2 so I need to use PCIE extension cable and run it to the drive which will be glued to the case cover somhow)
RAM: 2x8GB 2400 SODIMM

altogther around £230 (exclude the HDD and M.2). it will be interesting to pull this one together and have it as a PLEX server.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Did you get this going in the end?
ya I furnished the build. Had to put 2 50mm fans in it to keep the HDD cool as otherwise temps gets over 60c.

however I only needed 800rpm so the overall noise of the system is minimal.

total system draw at working is 15w

Back
Top Bottom