What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
Borat Subsequent Moviefilm - 4/10

Either I've grown up or the character just doesn't work these days, but I only laughed in a couple of places, the rest felt very forced and awkward

Soldato
Borat Subsequent Movie film - 1/10

Partner is a fan and wanted to watch it, so I had to endure it. Absolute nonsensical cringeworthy crap. I'm not a particular fan of this type of SBC humour, though oddly, I've seen The Brothers Grimsby twice and cried with laughter both times, but Borat...nah, not for me.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Bullitt - 9.999r/10

A near-perfect film. Steve McQueen exudes cool throughout. Supporting cast are all excellent. Jacqueline Bisset is gorgeous. The story has emotional weight and serious consequences - that look on Bullitt's face at the end, a man burdened by how much death he's seen, relieved to see that his girlfriend is staying with him but still concerned about the future of their relationship.

And that car chase. Hoo boy. A triumph of editing, allied to some very handy driving from McQueen and his usual stunt drivers in the Mustang, and Bill Hickman - stunt driver extraordinaire and actor playing one of the hitmen - in the Charger. Yeah, the Charger loses five hubcaps. And they pass the same green VW Beetle over and over. And it just doesn't matter because it's so bloody good. People who claim with a straight face that this isn't the best car chase in cinema history need their heads examined. Only 'The French Connection' comes close.

Soldato
And that car chase. Hoo boy. A triumph of editing, allied to some very handy driving from McQueen and his usual stunt drivers in the Mustang, and Bill Hickman - stunt driver extraordinaire and actor playing one of the hitmen - in the Charger. Yeah, the Charger loses five hubcaps. And they pass the same green VW Beetle over and over. And it just doesn't matter because it's so bloody good. People who claim with a straight face that this isn't the best car chase in cinema history need their heads examined. Only 'The French Connection' comes close.

Probably not seen Bullitt since the early 80's so can't particularly remember the chase, but are you forgetting Ronin? :p

Man of Honour
The Grudge (2020) - I was really excited for this when it was announced in 2019 (the US remake with Sarah Michelle Gellar is a horror classic) but then it went all quiet.... quietly being released onto Now TV.

It’s ultimately a ‘miss’ but not completely terrible. The two main characters (the police) are well cast and likeable, although the female lead isn’t fleshed out nearly enough. There is one exceptional jump scare but otherwise a lot of filler scares. The ‘villain’ is nowhere near scary enough.

At the end it sort of ‘farts’ out and there is a transition that doesn’t make any sense at all. Notably the font used in the titles throughout the film is really misplaced and the music in the credits is an odd choice too.

Ultimately it’s either been ruined by a cut budget or really rushed editing, not sure which. A shame really because it could have been better.

Last edited:
Commissario
After watching some horrors, some of them truly horrifically bad (never watch Zombie Night, it's terrible and not in a good way), some of which genuinely made me cringe and feel a little sick (Audition), I thought I'd try something a little light hearted, so went for one of the best comedies.

Airplane! (1980) via the new steelbook release.
I'd forgotten so many of the little gags in this since I last watched it, and it still makes me smile and laugh despite having seen it a number of times.

The start was good, ending was atrocious.

Midsommar - WTF

I've got that one on my watchlist as people kept telling me it was worth a watch.
I may bump it down the list a bit:p

Associate
No, I'm not. I don't think the Ronin chase is as good as either Bullitt or TFC.

I would agree, Ronin is brilliant in the sense it was a proper car chase with euro saloons, it is epic. The Bourne films are also fantastic.

My parents let me watch Bullitt and French Connection as a nipper, I had no clue about the story, all I remember were the car chases. I have not seen TFC for years as its rarely shown on TV.

Bullitt, the rear view mirror scene where hunter becomes the hunted - simply iconic.

Soldato
Parasite - I had no idea what this was apart from the Korean film that won Oscars last year. Loved it, alternately sweet, funny, scary and tragic. Watching it I felt like I literally had no idea what would happen next, good fun. 5/5

Soldato
I finally got around to watching 1917 but there was a scene that I cannot recollect, hopefully someone can jog my memory?

Schofield, strangled a German soldier but how did he get past/evade the drunken German soldier?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom