2nd car weekend toy

Soldato
A 5k Z4 will be an E85 which is also a rag top and is about as refined as catching the bus so an ideal weekend car in that respect.

You mean Nasher (who doesnt even use his Lotus very often, and instead drives an ordinary hatchback most of the time), was talking rubbish as to what kind of car constitutes a daily? I'm shocked, positive shocked! :D

Soldato
You mean Nasher (who doesnt even use his Lotus very often, and instead drives an ordinary hatchback most of the time), was talking rubbish as to what kind of car constitutes a daily? I'm shocked, positive shocked! :D

Oh dear, what crap are you talking now?

The Z4 was obviously built to be used every day...

Man of Honour
When new, not when 10-15 years old and you have a family...

Sure,the mr2 turbo was build to be able to be driven daily. But is it a good winter car?

Is it a practical daily car?

No.

Exactly - the passage of time changes the suitability of a car.

Very few cars are designed to be used infrequently - those that are are mostly high value exotic sports cars and not available for 5 grand second hand.

Associate
5k for a weekend car. has to be mx5 or clio 182/172 for rwd/fwd "refined" trackable weekend car that you can use year round.

but, for a "proper" weekend/track car (under ~10+k for an Elise) then look for kit cars... 5k wont be enough for a Westfield or Caterham, but possibly a Lowcost, Robin Hood, Tiger, GKD or equivalent?

could you even build an Exocet for that? probably pushing it tho.

looking at ebay there's a few ~5k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fisher-F...ood-Ready-to-go-7800-miles-Sylva/293765892427
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-KIT...-1000cc-CBR-1-4-MILE-IN-11-4-SEC/224199305306
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-YKC-FORMULA-27-Kit-car/264905318465

Associate
I'd take an MX5 over any random cheap kit car, those three linked above pretty naff. The three wheeler especially.
tbh all kit cars are so basic that they tend to look naff. I was just trying to show that there are options for ~5k. A workmate bought a track-prepped GKD (3l 6pot BMW engine, full cage, piped extinguisher, cutoffs etc.) with 2 sets of M3 alloys for £6k - yeah, its a little more basic and angular than a Westfield, but value for money and smiles per mile, it's amazing. As for the 3 wheeler - much like all the reviews for the Morgan 3 wheeler, it's just soo different (and probably scary) to drive that it's the drama you want from a weekend toy car... (and probably a lot like a mx5, as it's likely to be an experience without breaking the speed limit)

saying all this... I build a S2000 powered Westfield a few years ago for a mate, mental thing, but anytime I drive it I miss my MX5... sure, it's about 7/10 the driving experience, but you can use it in the rain, park it outside overnight without things leaking, or take it to the shops and leave it in the carpark without fear that someone will start poking about... I looked at Exocet and building a MX5 kit, but I kinda dont like the look of them, and it's back to a summer-only and requiring a garage to store it overnight car... So, my plan is to get an Elise as a midway between MX5 and the kitcar - but you're not going to get that for £5k...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Those kit cars will leave an MX5 for dead though. Some of them have silly performance, but that is the point :D

Agreed, assuming you’re not on a public road or are happy to ignore road laws.
The other point being the flexibility of having a heater that works, heated seats and a roof that doesn’t leak. Lot to be said for that during weekend runs.

Soldato
This thread seems to have flip flopped from 'I want a hot hatch for a bit of weekend fun' all the way to 'if it has a heater and a roof it's too refined' :p

Soldato
Agreed, assuming you’re not on a public road or are happy to ignore road laws.
The other point being the flexibility of having a heater that works, heated seats and a roof that doesn’t leak. Lot to be said for that during weekend runs.

Only if you are soft :D

Back
Top Bottom