Recommendations for SSD PCIe 4.0

Associate
Evening,

I currently have a 250GB kingston SSD installed which i have windows 10 installed on. I have another storage device which is a 2TB Seagate Barracuda Sata Drive, i use this for all of my files and games. I have a MSI B550 Mag mortar MB which can accept 2 M.2 SSD drives.

I'm thinking about purchasing another SSD drive, this time with PCIe4 as my board supports it. Am i really much better off by installing my games on an SSD drive rather than using my Sata Drive? What's the best way of going about it ?

If i purchase another SSD should i install windows on one SSD and then games on the other SSD, then use the Sata drive for downloads and files etc?

Soldato
You're better of installing all modern games to SSD.
Besides faster loading time also hiccups from mid map/gameplay loads are minimized.

And if use is gaming you're best buying more capacity for the price to actually fit those games on SSDs instead of spinning rust than paying PCIe v4 hype.
https://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-no-longer-fits-on-a-250gb-ssd/

In current games there's very little difference between any kind SSDs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COofLeqk_tM&t=436s

Associate
OP
Would i be wasting my money if i bought a Samsung 980 Pro 512GB for gaming and a 256gb version to install my operating system on ? My MB supports PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSDs

Associate
Going to move my windows install from my 970 evo to the sabrant nvme and use the 970 evo with windows 10 (storage spaces tiering) joined to my 4tb spinner for games.

Rom

Rom

Associate
Ive picked up a Sabrent 2TB for £230, cheaper than I could buy the 2TB gen 3. Time will tell if it was a deal or not

Soldato
I'm waiting for the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus. Looks like that maxed out PCIE 4.0 with their new E18 controller. Competition for Samsung.

Associate
OP
I bought a 256GB Samsung 980 pro for windows and a Seagate firecuda 512GB for a couple of games. I've installed them with a fresh copy of windows and can confirm that coming from my kingston SSD they are a lot faster. Boot times are very quick, under 10 seconds. My games now open and load quite a bit faster than i've been used to. All in all i am very happy, the update was done for around £200.

Man of Honour
I bought a 256GB Samsung 980 pro for windows and a Seagate firecuda 512GB for a couple of games. I've installed them with a fresh copy of windows and can confirm that coming from my kingston SSD they are a lot faster. Boot times are very quick, under 10 seconds. My games now open and load quite a bit faster than i've been used to. All in all i am very happy, the update was done for around £200.
Seems expensive, 1tb m2 and a 1tb ssd for slightly less with minimal performance difference.

Associate
OP
So after a week of use the firecuda 520 has failed and no longer works. The drive isn’t recognised by the bios or windows, seagate software also doesn’t pick up this drive. Based on this I’ve boxed it up and sent it back and replaced with a 1TB Samsung 980 as the other 980 I bought for windows is very fast and faultless.

Soldato
So after a week of use the firecuda 520 has failed and no longer works. The drive isn’t recognised by the bios or windows, seagate software also doesn’t pick up this drive. Based on this I’ve boxed it up and sent it back and replaced with a 1TB Samsung 980 as the other 980 I bought for windows is very fast and faultless.
Seems like a waste of cash considering you have 2 PCIe gen 4.0 drives on a B550 which means one will be running at PCIe gen 3.0 speed so you could have saved a load of cash and brought a 1tb gen 3.0 or got 2tb for the same price with no difference to performance since one of your gen 4.0 drives will be running at gen 3.0 speed anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems like a waste of cash considering you have 2 PCIe gen 4.0 drives on a B550 which means one will be running at PCIe gen 3.0 speed so you could have saved a load of cash and brought a 1tb gen 3.0 or got 2tb for the same price with no difference to performance since one of your gen 4.0 drives will be running at gen 3.0 speed anyway.
Good point.

Back
Top Bottom