Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Associate
Virtual Desktop is much more refined at this point.
Thanks. Decided to get Virtual Desktop (I'm refraining to use the VD abbreviation ha).
Is impressive, and worth it over alvr , I ran half life Alyx for a good hour and it ran as smooth as any wired version is used previously. So impressed with it all.

Associate
Received and tested my Honor 3 router which arrived today, its a cracking router for the price.

Using it as only an access point for my Quest 2 has eliminated all stutter and hitches for me.
Getting About 25ms in game with HEVC and 30 with x264.
I'm expecting my honor 3 router today. Just wanted to check how I should connect it.
Currently I have an 8 port 1gbe switch to my pc which connects to virgin hub and a Asus router for WiFi .
Should I just make the honor an access point and connect it to the switch? Or is it best to go directly from my pc to the honor? my PC has WiFi 6 and two ethernet ports 10gbe and 2.5gbe.aswell.
thanks

Soldato
OP
I'm expecting my honor 3 router today. Just wanted to check how I should connect it.
Currently I have an 8 port 1gbe switch to my pc which connects to virgin hub and a Asus router for WiFi .
Should I just make the honor an access point and connect it to the switch? Or is it best to go directly from my pc to the honor? my PC has WiFi 6 and two ethernet ports 10gbe and 2.5gbe.aswell.
thanks

People say it's best to go direct if you can.

I physically can't due to my set-up. I therefore go:

PC - Switch - Honor 3 - 5G to Quest 2
Bridge mode, dedicated 5G
(Honor 3 is also directly connected to my Sky router for the internet.)

With this I get a latency of ~30ms with BeatSaber and ~40ms with Alyx, which on paper isn't the best, but perfectly playable to me.

Soldato
thanks

the best in terms of VirtualDesktop performance is to just pull the ethernet cable out of your PC and connect it to your honor3, then run a new ethernet cable from the honor3 to your PC

Associate
ok thanks both. I`ll try both options. To be honest i tried Alyx last night on my existing 5ghz wifi and it was superb, i could have been wired not wireless.

Soldato
ok thanks both. I`ll try both options. To be honest i tried Alyx last night on my existing 5ghz wifi and it was superb, i could have been wired not wireless.

if you already have a decent wifi setup then the gains from wifi6 are marginal at best - the main thing wifi6 brings is support for more concurrent devices, which isn't really the use case for the quest with VD

Soldato
OP
if you already have a decent wifi setup then the gains from wifi6 are marginal at best - the main thing wifi6 brings is support for more concurrent devices, which isn't really the use case for the quest with VD

Just to back you up, I bought a Honor 3 in preparation for the Quest 2, as I didn't think the supplied Sky router would be up to the job. However, having tried both I can't tell any real world difference between them.

Cheers,

Associate
Thanks, got my honor 3 setup today, took all of 10mins, plugged it from the switch to the router, and another cable to my pc. Like you say cant see anyway realworld differences to be honest. It was good enough on wifi5 anyway. Perhaps in the future with extra bandwidth it may come in use.

Associate
Currently I've been using the 5Ghz wi-fi on my 4G router dedicated to the Quest 2 and it's been fine but I thought I'd give the Honor 3 a try since its at a good price at £50! right now.

Can I just re-confirm how to set it up in my current set-up.

I've actually got two separate network's running in my house:

1) Dodgy ADSL (4-7mb!) Sky router to Google Mesh wi-fi to service the house
2) My work/gaming PC connected via Ethernet directly to a 4G router

I play VR in my office with my gaming PC so the 4G router is right next to me and as I only have one Ethernet port on my PC I assume I can just connect the Honor3 router via a LAN port on the 4G router and set it up in AP mode and use that for wi-fi connectivity to my Quest?

Soldato
Currently I've been using the 5Ghz wi-fi on my 4G router dedicated to the Quest 2 and it's been fine but I thought I'd give the Honor 3 a try since its at a good price at £50! right now.

Can I just re-confirm how to set it up in my current set-up.

I've actually got two separate network's running in my house:

1) Dodgy ADSL (4-7mb!) Sky router to Google Mesh wi-fi to service the house
2) My work/gaming PC connected via Ethernet directly to a 4G router

I play VR in my office with my gaming PC so the 4G router is right next to me and as I only have one Ethernet port on my PC I assume I can just connect the Honor3 router via a LAN port on the 4G router and set it up in AP mode and use that for wi-fi connectivity to my Quest?

Best way is to pull the ethernet cable from your PC and plug that end in to the honor3, then run a new cable from the honor 3 to your PC

You want your PC connected directly to the honor. When you first connect the honor to your PC it will walk you through setup.

Associate
Question to those with an Honor 3.
  • Is there anyway to force AX only?
  • I can see a hidden Wifi SSID using Wifi Anlyser, what is this? I have guest networks off and backup Wifi 5 off. It has a slightly different MAC address so it's not my analyser playing up.
fXAI8pR.png

Is this Huawei's backdoor :D?

Soldato
no there's no way to lock it to ax only, effectively the only way to do this is to only give the password to devices that support ax

yes I also have a *hidden* huawei device showing up, no idea why and google doesn't appear to have the answer

Associate
Decided to order the Asus AX58u from Very.

£10 credit back + £25 cashback (eventually) from Asus cashback.

Was going to order Honor 3 but them sending dia data back to Huawei doesn't sit right with me. PLus, reviews on amazon aren't great tbh.

Soldato
Had no issues with my honor 3,great throughput and connects to VD at 1200mbs

It is in the same room as I use my quest 2 though, moving into other rooms and it does drop performance but if you can use it in the same room it's a cracking router for the price

Associate
Received my honor 3 today, set it up next to my PC in bridge mode, isolated the 5G wifi, connected the quest2 only - Flawless Wireless Alyx yay!
would like to thank all those who contributed to this thread, it was a great help.
now does anybody want to give me 90 quid for a very long cable? :)

Back
Top Bottom