Changing from Hive to Nest - Self install possible?

Soldato
Hey folks, I currently have a Hive thermostat it's the current model as was fitted just under 2 years ago.

I do not have any wiring for the thermostat control itself, as the house never had a wired thermostat to start with, so no need to worry about that side of the wiring, all I need to do is swap the control module which plugs into the bottom of the boiler, from the Hive one, to the Nest one, is this something that will be relatively straightforward? (I would assume taking a photo of existing wiring etc beforehand).
Mine is a Worcester-Bosch Combi boiler so I am only using the thermostat for heating not hot water.

Has anyone done this swap themselves?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Indeed mate I am putting the thermostat in the lounge on top of a table, and plugged in - that was my only bugbear about the Nest, but then that said, it will really make zero difference as I always control the Hive by the app, so will no doubt do the same with the Nest :)

Soldato
OP
Hey folks, just an update, this is my current setup for Hive - as it is a combi boiler there is no need for hot water setting, however from the Hive documentation it shows as this;

N & L - self explanatory

1 = Common
2 = Heating off (NC)
3 = Heating on (NO)
4 = Unused

What I do not understand, is why '2' is blank on mine? I have not got 'heating off' is there a reason for that?

The nest documentation shows 'Call for heat' (which I assume is 3 in my diagram) and 'common' (1) it has a 'satisfied' connector, which it shows as optional.

ZNpuFYq.jpg

Soldato
Baisically on a combi all you usually get a common and switch live, if these two are linked out the heating comes on and if that link is removed it goes off. A basic switch, all you are doing is controlling that switch using the hive. (NC and NO are normally closed and normally open in a resting state)

A systems boiler set up with valves etc needs a heating off connection to let the valve know to move over, not something you need to worry about.

Soldato
What prompted the change from hive if you don't mind me asking?

We have the hive here and it seems to do everything I want but now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something! :D

Soldato
OP
What prompted the change from hive if you don't mind me asking?

We have the hive here and it seems to do everything I want but now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something! :D

The Hive is good, it's worked well for us, but I wanted the NEST as I have upgraded to their Smoke Alarms also (2 of them so far) and so I wanted everything 'interlinked' and to be the same company etc.

I think the Nest looks a bit nicer cosmetically too, but there was nothing wrong with the Hive, I just prefer the Nest and it's range of products (looking at the camera option soon).

Associate
I've just moved into a house that has Hive pre-installed. All kit left behind including the hub; however, I can't use it. Hub is specific to a user and not transferrable. British gas tell me I have to buy a hub of my own. OK, they're well discounted at the moment, but I feel cheated. Therefore I'm going to rip it out and put in Nest instead (total higher cost, but it makes the cost to switch relatively small).

Associate
I swapped from nest to hive, i found nest tried to do too much so ended up turning everything off on it , hive is simple, personally i would keep hive and buy a hub from ebay for around £30 unused, you can get a starter pack with hub and 2 bulbs for £40 from ebay too.

Associate
Hey folks, just an update, this is my current setup for Hive - as it is a combi boiler there is no need for hot water setting, however from the Hive documentation it shows as this;

N & L - self explanatory

1 = Common
2 = Heating off (NC)
3 = Heating on (NO)
4 = Unused

What I do not understand, is why '2' is blank on mine? I have not got 'heating off' is there a reason for that?

The nest documentation shows 'Call for heat' (which I assume is 3 in my diagram) and 'common' (1) it has a 'satisfied' connector, which it shows as optional.

ZNpuFYq.jpg
Hello, is it possible for you to show a picture of the "after" Nest install? I have same set up and wish to install Nest. Thank you.

Soldato
Tbh I've got hive and it's losing sync with the receiver only recently. Even though the nest is mains powered I don't see that as a problem it's more stable than constantly changing batteries, it's a shame the hive couldn't also be mains powered.

Soldato
Tbh I've got hive and it's losing sync with the receiver only recently. Even though the nest is mains powered I don't see that as a problem it's more stable than constantly changing batteries, it's a shame the hive couldn't also be mains powered.

I agree it is a shame, I've had my hive installed for sometime and only changed the batteries once and not had any issues, nest looks better but where I have my stat there is no power so hive made for sense.

For what it is worth I've heard of issues with the nest losing signal so neither system is perfect by all accounts.

Back
Top Bottom