• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i9 10850k CPU Running at 4.8Ghz

Associate
Hey all.

I have just built a new system:

MSI MAG Z490 mobo
i9 10850k CPU
32gb Ballistix @ 3200

I haven't used this combo of mobo and CPU before but thought I would check this as it seems a bit odd..
The BIOS (which is default - no overclocking etc) says that the CPU is running at stock 3.6k but in Windows, the CPU is running at 4.8k all the time.

I checked in Dragon Center, CPUID and CPUID CPU-Z but all show the same, 4.8k. https://ibb.co/3s5dwYM

1. Is this normal?
2. If it's not normal, what can I do to return the CPU to 3.6k in Windows and just have it boost when needed?

Cheers

Associate
OP
Thanks. Weirdly, I can't see that setting in the BIOS. Is it called something else on these boards?

I have searched for 'speed' in the BIOS..but nothing.

Associate
OP
Ok, I found speedshift in CPU overclocking features and it's set to 'Auto'

I have changed it to 'enabled' but no change

Last edited:
Associate
I have the same mobo and cpu and mine says 3.6ghz as well, even when overclocked.
I believe it shows the lowest core speed that is set. That it the processor cache ratio.
Use intel xtu program and you'll get to 5.3ghz no problem.
You might get your Ram suited higher as well.
I got my corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz upto 3733mhz.

It wouldn't run under xmp profile or manually at 3000mhz so bear with it.

Man of Honour
Check C-states, CPU voltage control, EIST. Some stuff can bug out too, especially on a new boot, like OneDrive.

Associate
I believe the MCE equivalent for MSI boards is Turbo Enhanced.

What core speeds are you seeing in Windows, at stock?

3.6 when i turn it back down to stock, but using the xtu programme it goes to whatever i code in the cache ratio as the lowest speed.
When I've tried overclocking the cpu in bios it will never boot up.

I'm guessing it's because I'm not selecting the correct options throughout

Soldato
Latest August bios? I updated MEG Unify to this and it helped.
Also, 'balanced' setting in dragon centre puts mine on 4.8ghz, but performance one fixes to whatever OC you have dialed in, 5.0ghz @ 1.240v in my case.
But....I have tried 5.1 on various voltages and it only ever goes to 5.0 which is weird.
Wish I had stayed ROG Hero, but it was too pricy!

Soldato
Check the TDP as many Intel boards increase the available power to the socket by default. Essentially apply an overclock to the CPU out of the box.

Soldato
For gaming i wonder if having 10 cores fixed is best move? Not played around with boosting fewer cores yet to 5.2+, anyone else seen benefits to doing that?

Associate
OP
do you have MCE or msi equivalent enabled?
I tried it with the MSI z490 MCE equivalent (Enhanced Turbo) off and on but it didn't change the CPU speed in Windows, still pretty much locked at 4800Mhz with brief individual core drops as low as 800Mhz

Back
Top Bottom