• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Judging by the size of it, it could be even more comfortable than the Xbox controller! :eek:

This makes me wonder for those who are getting both - is the (undetermined as yet) extra power of the Xbox Series X enough to keep you buying multiplats there or is the Tempest 3D Audio, DualSense features and the UI activity cards enough to make you change to PS5 for them (and potentially take a minor hit in frame rate and/or resolution)?

For multi platform games I will be going for Xbox because there is at a minimum around 18% more GPU performance, a much better controller (elite), and a proper commitment to forwards compatibility for software.

Soldato
The fact that both consoles use essentially the same hardware will help development too, no need for 2 vastly different versions which again will probably mean identical performance/graphical quality/resolution etc.

We'll only know once DF get their hands on some proper next gen multi platform games though...

That's my take. On paper both systems appear near identical to me so I'm really only basing my decision to go Playstation on the exclusive titles and the fact I preferred Sonys previous system over Microsofts.

This time round as your day I expect the differences between them will be even less than last.

Associate
I was indifferent but the closer the launch gets the more excited I am. Cyberpunk is going to be awesome.

I am going to wait to get Xbox. Not sure which one I am going to get S or X. I have gamepass for a few years so I'd just want it as a Game Pass/Bethesda machine.

Soldato
I am going to wait to get Xbox. Not sure which one I am going to get S or X. I have gamepass for a few years so I'd just want it as a Game Pass/Bethesda machine.

Likewise, Ill wait and see what the difference between the xbox systems is. I only really want it for halo/Forza, Bethesda titles ( depending on what ms do with Playstation versions!) and game pass so more than likely I'll just get the cheaper series s.

The irony is that despite all these new systems coming out the games I'm most looking forward to playing, and haven't bought yet, are PS4 titles like cyberpunk, last of us, ghost of Tsushima and call of duty cool war!

Last edited:
Soldato
I honestly don't think we'll see a massive difference in performance like there was last gen, like RDR2 which ran at 1920x2160 upscaled to 4k on the PS4 pro vs native 4k on the One X, as there's just not enough difference in power.

One X had a 45% more powerful GPU (6tf vs 4.12tf) a more powerful CPU, and more RAM.

It's an 18% difference in raw TF GPU numbers this gen towards the SX, essentially the CPU is near identical, same RAM, and PS5 has a faster SSD.

I don't think we'll be seeing different resolution/frame rates like we did before, I think they'll be pretty much the same across both platforms. If there's any performance differences it'll be small things like loading times, pop in, maybe some graphical details - likely the SX with more graphical detail, and the PS5 with less texture pop in.

The fact that both consoles use essentially the same hardware will help development too, no need for 2 vastly different versions which again will probably mean identical performance/graphical quality/resolution etc.

We'll only know once DF get their hands on some proper next gen multi platform games though...

6TF - 4.2TF = 35.29% So its a 35% difference not 45%.

The CPU was the same but clocked a little higher again like this generation.

Plus the XSX has faster ram than the PS5 (at least 10GB of it anyway) so we will have to see it how that effects the multiplats too.

They both have pretty much the same 3d sound engines its just Sony are making a fuss about it.

I am still very intrigued to see how it all pans out though and having both consoles plus my PC im not going to miss out on anything.

Soldato
6TF - 4.2TF = 35.29% So its a 35% difference not 45%.

6 - 4.12 = 1.88
1.88 / 4.12 = 0.4563
0.4563 x 100 = 45% (rounded) increase.

Now, 6 down to 4.12 (4.2), that is a 31% (30%) decrease.

If something has a value of 5, something else with a value of 10 would be 100% more, because it's double the value. You're adding 1 whole thing more - 100% more.

Yet if you calculate the decrease, 10 to 5, that's only 50% less. But 10 is not 50% more than 5, is it?

Anyway, maths aside, there isn't the gulf between the systems this gen, so my statement still holds, regardless if it's 35% or 45%.

Soldato
I know PS3 emulation is a headache but you'd think at this point it'd be relatively easy to get PS1/PS2 software running on PS5.

It would be handy for preservation as I can imagine the PS5 might be the last system which supports physical optical media.

Soldato
Wow, well at least if things go sideways with the economy I will have a box big enough to sleep in!

My pro and 1x have been boxed up ready for sale, so I'm pc gaming till delivery of the new consoles now.

Soldato
Box is huge!

Also if people really wanna debate teraflops at this stage you all need your own thread :p
Nah, just some gentle speculation while we wait for real gameplay and facts to come out! :D

Whatever platform you choose, this gen is a good one, we've finally got real world, achievable, native 4k 60fps games, on a console.

I've only played one game on PS4 (not pro) which was RDR2, the last proper gaming I did was on PC, and not at 4k. Prior to that it was on the PS3!

Soldato
I wonder if sales of the digital/optical drive versions of the system will match the poll on the site here.

I'm surprised that it looks like ~80% of people want the physical drive version. I assumed that must people would want the digital version these days!

Back
Top Bottom