** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Soldato
Thanks Purgatory - That makes sense and I'm starting to 'see' the point of the CRG90 over the G9. Maybe at close range, the curve really is too much or only good for simulators though screen lines could be visible if focused into with eyes that close. Enjoy. I wanted to use this with a PS5 too but without hmdi 2.1, am reconsidering. Either way, when working right, these screens are awesome - Hopefully future updates will have speakers, maybe wireless display, type c maybe, circular stand base with wireless charging built in, maybe a port hub integrated into the base instead of the less accessible rear...okay, I'm asking for too much :)

You're welcome, just a note for what you said regarding ps5 on it, you do realise they will release hdmi 2.1 to displayport 1.4 adapters in time that will support 120hz, they always have them at some point when new standards come out, will be some active adapter. Just google what I mean with past gen. Also they already have Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 120hz Adapter all they need to do is make them work the other way round (not sure if it does work other way round at moment) have a read here https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp..._4k_120hz_hdmi_2_1_possible_on_today_s_gpus/1 .

Yes the G90 today was just silly really for normal use and for media playback, only real use sim screen to me and I do more on a screen than just sim and I mean car sims, flight sim looked rubbish to me on it with that much curve too. So far enjoying the new CRG90 and happy I purchased both and had them both come in at same time to really compare, the CRG90 is also cheaper than the G90 by £230 but lets get real at these prices £230 is not a big difference if it makes you happy. CRG90 is £1049 at moment too with free shipping but add the code on the deal part of the add for the screen on checkout for next day shipping at purple shirt place, I forgot and added £5 more but it's ok. It really is what you use the monitor most for and if the 1000R curve is right for you, 1800R is right for me and no matter how much better the G9 was it wouldn't matter if I can't use it comfortably and be happy with what I see on it 90% of the time and car racing is not even there 5% of the time.

If they had the G9 in the 1800R curve I would have got that but they don't so only option was the CRG90 at moment and honestly 240hz is not going to happen on most games for a good few more years and by then games get larger more details and all the blaa blaa and still be at 60hz to 100hz on most with all cranked up, I prefer higher detail than fps anyways and 120hz is plenty fast enough on such a screen and yes it also goes to 144hz tried that and worked perfectly too, so as others have said it really does work and perfectly too. I have it set to 100hz at moment and 10bit and looks lovely :). Just can't wait to get my own RTX 3090 finally ordered from somewhere that has them in, at this rate I'm going to get the FE at £1400 instead of paying £400 more for some OC version.. Will see when they ever land again. Borrowing works one at moment as I have a 980 Ti Classified and it worked perfectly on that too at full resolution :), but of course games took a beating at that resolution with it, but it is perfect on my 34" ultrawide the 980 Ti for most games.

If you can compare the 1000R and 1800R screens do it, you will be shocked how much more the 1000R curve is, if it was a banana the EU would not allow it to be sold :D because it's too damn curved.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally getting my G9 from rainforest. I ordered way back in June, waited until September, cancelled, ordered again and it's on the way. Maybe all that waiting will pay off? My only use for this will be sim racing, so the bring on the curve!

Associate
Hello guys,

I was able to install the firmware from the odyssey g7 faker edition.

The firmware is the version 1002.0 from 2020-10-20.

I just changed the file name like it was for downgrade and it worked (the menus now are red ).

Associate
The g9 is really curved, I have a basic ikea fredde desk and the sides of the screen poke out, than sit flush... I could wall mount but lose adjustability so won't do that. I had no idea about the dp to hdmi 2.1 adaptors so thanks for that info too - I'm sticking with Samsung now. I will be getting one of those (and/or petitioning for Samsung to build it in with speakers in compensation for the wait and return hassle :) ).

I agree too that 240 is way off for now so a bit pointless. Props to Purgatory!

Soldato
I'm seeing new stock available for the G9 (LC49G95TSSUXEN)right now for people that want one by Tuesday £1279.97 and free delivery to you but not to your desktop direct which is a shame as it's one heavy monitor. So if you have been stuck in preorder hell go have a look as they are in stock at this place right now and a place I purchased my Samsung gaming Laptop Direct from them and they were really good, will then give more people a chance on OKUK to grab stock here too next week. Seems they are slowly creeping up at other places that have them too so go grab one while they are at the realistic price of £1280.

Associate
Theres a sale starting on 26th, who knows, could be good to wait and see. Samsung have some strict rules. I brought a thunderbolt monitor from them that dropped in price a week after and rather than refunding me the difference, I had to return for refund, then when I was going to buy it at sale price, they had no stock. Lucky there is lots of other choices though.

OcUK Staff
OP
I'm seeing new stock available for the G9 (LC49G95TSSUXEN)right now for people that want one by Tuesday £1279.97 and free delivery to you but not to your desktop direct which is a shame as it's one heavy monitor. So if you have been stuck in preorder hell go have a look as they are in stock at this place right now and a place I purchased my Samsung gaming Laptop Direct from them and they were really good, will then give more people a chance on OKUK to grab stock here too next week. Seems they are slowly creeping up at other places that have them too so go grab one while they are at the realistic price of £1280.

I don't know really what this means but we have orders on with all the UK Samsung disty's.

We'll get you your monitor as soon as we can if you want to pre-order :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Theres a sale starting on 26th, who knows, could be good to wait and see. Samsung have some strict rules. I brought a thunderbolt monitor from them that dropped in price a week after and rather than refunding me the difference, I had to return for refund, then when I was going to buy it at sale price, they had no stock. Lucky there is lots of other choices though.

I don't expect the G95 to drop in price for BF

Associate
Hi All,

I ordered a G9 93 (LC49G93TSSUXEN) not 95 direct from Samsung. The monitor arrived today and I ordered it yesterday. I was worried that the 93 would be old or refurbished stock but took a chance. Anyway I have setup the monitor and have been using it for a few hours now. I have not noticed any light bleeding or flickering or any noise. Gsync seems to work fine too. The manufacture date is July 2020 from the serial number and the version is FA01 so not the new FB01 version that is apparently in the wild. The monitor is amazing overall. I do find the HDR not to be great. It's dull compared to windows when not in HDR mode. Also the normal wide screen resolution of 3440x1440 doesn't seem to be natively supported by the monitor drivers. However via the nvidia control panel I created it as a custom resolution and now it's a resolution that I can select in games and in windows and it works fine. I haven't been able to test 240hz because I have a 1080ti which only supports 120hz in the max res of 5120x1440. Hopefully my 3080 on pre-order from Overclockers will arrive some time soon. I think I might have been lucky by getting a good monitor from Samsung direct but even if you don't you can just return it. You can also see the serial number on the box so you could check it and if it's pre July don't open the box even and return it or don't accept delivery. You must look for N7 or N8 near the end of the serial number. N = 2020 and 7 =July and 8 =August.

Update to my G9 experience 25 days later. Unfortunately my monitor developed a fault last night. I now have a thin purple vertical line running down the full height of the monitor on the right hand side about a quarter of the distance from the very right hand side frame. I think that line of pixels is faulty in the panel and can only show purple or something. The lines are there even when nothing is connected to the monitor and it's powered on. Samsung are coming on Tuesday to collect it and hopefully I will get my refund a few days later. I'm not sure if I am going to order another one even though I really enjoy this monitor it seems that the QA issues are a big problem. I haven't found anyone else who has had this same issue so maybe this is a unique issue or Samsung did send me a refurbished model that had this issue originally. As a reminder my model is the 93 one and has a July manufacture date.

What has the experience been with this monitor with the latest batches i.e. August or September manufacture dates?

Associate
sorry about this @Mumbaa :(

For me all 3 smsung g9 monitors have been august serial number, my first 2 had dead pixels on the screen. (2nd monitor also was slow to wake up giving no gpu error on boot and some flickering which seemed to have fixed doing firmware update)

My 3rd one has no issues of dead pixels but giving that i have not had it for 24 hours is still way to early to report problems, hopefully it stays this way.

If i do experience problems with my 3rd one then i may also call this quits and go for another monitor.

Hopefully not though, but wil report back with my monthly review.

Associate
It would appear problems with the G9 in some cases can show up after some time has passed. Out of the box, would you recommend leaving it on for a good 8 hours each day to see if a fault develops (and hence to keep within the return window). I tend to only use my sim racing kit at the weekends for a shortish amount of time and that is the only use I will have for the monitor.

Associate
It would appear problems with the G9 in some cases can show up after some time has passed. Out of the box, would you recommend leaving it on for a good 8 hours each day to see if a fault develops (and hence to keep within the return window). I tend to only use my sim racing kit at the weekends for a shortish amount of time and that is the only use I will have for the monitor.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Mine became faulty without any warning. Over the 25 days I have used it a lot because I have my work laptop connected to it too and have been working from home. That actually reminds me of the second issue this monitor has. When my laptop is connected to it via the second display port input using a usb-c to display port cable the monitor goes into a deep sleep when windows turns it off and you can only wake the monitor by pressing the menu / power button. Moving the mouse or hitting a key on the keyboard doesn't wake it up. It's an annoying issue but maybe also another sign of the lack of QA on these monitors. If you pull the laptop display port cable out of the monitor, the monitor powers off completely and the only way to turn it on again is to disconnect the power cable completely and reconnect it. I have seen other reports about this exact same issue on reddit etc.

Associate
Recently got this beast and I have a few issues which I'm on the fence about whether it's worth returning for a replacement.

1. There is one continuously illuminated subpixel left and slightly down of the center (noticeable when dark shades of colour/scenes are displayed)
2. One missing red (I believe) subpixel right at the far left edge of the screen (not that noticeable)
3. Very slight fading towards the bottom 1cm of the screen as others have had an issue with
4. Popping/cracking noises (slightly annoying but not massively loud)

For the most part, I don't think these warrant a return but due to the cost of the screen, any defects are obviously annoying.

Another probably larger issue is that I'm not able to fully test the screen at the moment since I'm only running a GTX 980 (yes I know I'm brave).
I planned/plan on getting an RTX 3080 like a lot of people when I can actually get my hands on one and wanted to future-proof my new build.

I originally had the monitor on pre-order and have been waiting a while to get it with the recall and all the issues but I'm having doubts as to whether it was a good idea given the fact I cannot fully test it with the 980.
What I'm worried about is finding more pressing issues when I can fully test it past the return period (31st Jan with Amazon so I have a fair bit of time).

At the moment I can only run 60Hz at full res, 120Hz at 3840 x 1080, and 240Hz below that although those resolutions are a stretched mess on this screen.
Adaptive sync is on and presumably (GSync) is working if at 120Hz (I don't think it works below 60/70Hz?).

I can actually set the refresh rate to 240Hz through the settings although this obviously isn't applied.

I don't seem to be able to set HDR or another higher than 8-bit colour like someone else pointed out but I think that's because the GTX 980 doesn't support DSC so no idea if I'll experience the flickering issues at the moment.
I did see one blip of flicker when in RDR2 although on the most part it's fine.

I jumped at it since I've been waiting for months and I needed a solution to display my work laptop on a screen (been using a tiny laptop screen for months and it's driving me crazy).
My previous monitor was the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q and the connectivity and Gsync means it's difficult to impossible to get other devices to display on it with a DP adapter for instance.

Ideally, I guess I'd manage to get an RTX 3080 between now and the returns period so I can fully test it and make an informed decision but that's looking less and less likely given the rubbish supply issues.
I've EIZO Monitor Test and it looks decent other than the issues above, no light bleeding at all at full brightness, relatively decent uniformity etc although I can't really test response times.

Wondering what people's thoughts are on this and whether keeping it is worth the risk? I really don't want to find out there are issues post returns and have to deal with Samsung warranty if I can avoid that.
Also, anything else I should test for at the moment?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have an N8 (August I believe) and am on the latest firmware 1006.02

Associate
Just got my second G9, the first one had popping/cracking noise. This one has some type of coil whine, buzzing coming out the back. Not sure if it will get annoying, 2 of the CRG49's had it and was too loud. The last N5 I had didn't have any buzzing/whine coming out the back, just had the popping noises. Such a lottery with these monitors :)

Last edited:
Associate
I’m thinking of getting one of these (G7 32 inch)to work with my RTX 3080 (when it finally arrives). Can I just ask if the G Sync flicker issue has been fixed or if it’s still a problem. If it’s a problem is there a workaround?

many thanks

Back
Top Bottom