• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Yep it’s true. Other than the design the only thing that’s really going to be any kind of big deal over an XS is the camera. The 12 doesn’t really let you do anything new or anything differently so it’s really nothing to be too excited over.

I finally powered my 12 Pro up in the early hours. Certainly not a big upgrade over the 11 Pro Max I had before but I am loving the size of it. Part of me wanted the Pro Max for the camera but I’m glad I took the chance to get a smaller and lighter device this time. It definitely is a huge upgrade over the 7 I’d been using for the last few weeks though. Never thought I’d miss Face ID as much as I did, it’s good to have it back.

There is one thing that’s a bit annoying though. In some locations I find 4G is a bit sketchy with 1 bar and in some parts of London I’ve found it just doesn’t work so I used to drop back to 3G and get full signal and decent speeds. Not often, but sometimes. There’s now no option to drop back to 3G on the iPhone 12, it’s only got the option of 5G or 4G.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Received my phone yesterday but tbh after using it for a few hours I’m not seeing much improvement over my X. I think I might send it back and keep the X for another year....
Yep I’m now thinking the same. Is it any better than my xs that I have?? In all honesty no not really other than being faster, slightly larger screen and better camera. Plus I’m not really feeling the pacific blue colour, just hasn’t wowed me as I thought it would. Then looking at the battery tests, it’s not any better than last years models. I mean I would have thought the battery would be better. But then seeing as it’s the first iPhone with 5G, it could be that they haven’t quite managed to get the best out of it. Perhaps a few more OS updates will get more out of it??
So that’s where I’m at currently. Either I cancel my Apple direct order and keep my Xs for another yr and wait till next yr for the iPhone 13. Or I keep my Apple direct order and try to exchange it for another colour.
Decisions decisions lol.

Soldato
Hmmm interesting im seeing a lot of people saying similar - doesn't feel like too much of an upgrade, perhaps the older phones are so fast anyway, running new ones, doesn't feel like a massive performance jump, I'll keep my XS for another year as I want to see a massive camera upgrade next time.

Caporegime
Hmmm interesting im seeing a lot of people saying similar - doesn't feel like too much of an upgrade, perhaps the older phones are so fast anyway, running new ones, doesn't feel like a massive performance jump, I'll keep my XS for another year as I want to see a massive camera upgrade next time.
Certainly seems that way, I mean it’s the first iPhone with 5G and a better camera but honestly my xs is plenty quick, just the battery doesn’t last as long as it used to. So other than 5G which living in London I’d probably get but it won’t be anything amazing, 4G is plenty fast and most of the time I’m on WiFi at home. Camera?? Yes it’s much better than the Xs I have but I’m not a huge camera/photo sort of guy so it’s kinda lost on me. The Xs is a decent camera for me.
If I do decide to hang fire for another year then I really hope Apple knocks it out of the park next year with specs and battery life.

Soldato
Cancelled all my Apple orders due to lead times, ordered from John Lewis on Friday, collected from Waitrose this morning. So got to restore backup from 11 Pro to 12 Pro now. Anyone converted from Vodafone SIM to ESIM?

I upgraded as company iPhone, so why not.

Soldato
Certainly seems that way, I mean it’s the first iPhone with 5G and a better camera but honestly my xs is plenty quick, just the battery doesn’t last as long as it used to. So other than 5G which living in London I’d probably get but it won’t be anything amazing, 4G is plenty fast and most of the time I’m on WiFi at home. Camera?? Yes it’s much better than the Xs I have but I’m not a huge camera/photo sort of guy so it’s kinda lost on me. The Xs is a decent camera for me.
If I do decide to hang fire for another year then I really hope Apple knocks it out of the park next year with specs and battery life.

Thats fair enough, I use my camera a lot, and occasionally for professional use as a back up/alternative angle camera - 4k on iPhone is great quality, but ill still wait, next phone doesn't need any faster than A14, although it obviously will be, and im sure battery life will go up as cpu nm goes down.

Soldato
Ordered a Blue 12, 11th-19th Nov its giving me as a date so far..

Now to see how people like the leather case as fancy one of those..

Anyone started an accessory list yet, haven't looked at a MagSafe charger at the mo but no doubt will get something similar..

Soldato
Personally think it’s a complete rip off. Put it this way 2 year AC is 20% the cost of a 12Pro. Must be a lot of risk averse consumers to let them get away with charging that. It’s like buying a new BMW and getting your car insurance and tyre/alloy/GAP insurance with them, you pay through the roof!

If I was personally buying it I'd agree, but I just get my company to purchase so I just forget about it. My 6S went wrong, Apple just shrugged, so I took it back to John Lewis and they were brilliant. Hence why I switched to JL again as you get 2 years warranty out of the box, yes I know that doesn't cater for damage etc.

Soldato
Picked my Gold 12 Pro up this morning. Was painless to collect in-store, with a staff:shopper ratio of about 2:1. Gave in and picked up a MagSafe charger when I was in there. As nice as the official silicone cases looked, I couldn't bring myself to buying what used to be half that price two years ago...

Looks like I'll be using it naked until I can collect my Mous case that is delivered on Monday.

Soldato
How are cases / phone rears holding up against MagSafe? Can’t help but think the exposed magnets are going to scuff or even scratch cases and phones a bit? I know they must have thought of that but it just looks iffy.

Soldato
Mine is boxed back up ready for collection. Really did not see any benefit over my X. Ordered a new case for X to make it feel different and new. Far cheaper upgrade.... lol

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

My XS max has really shiny, reflective sides and is covered in fingerprints, genuine question, how can it be any shinier?
All the previous ones were rounded, this is flat. Makes a massive difference in the appearance of the fingerprints.

Soldato
Thanks for the comments guys. From what I’ve read and seen I’m delighted I resisted the urge to upgrade from the 11 Pro.

Apart from when running/gym I rarely have a case on. The 11 Pro is an object of beauty but I just can’t get on with those hideous finger-print magnet edges on the 12 Pro. With the gold I like the subtlety of the back but the edges are horrific.

Caporegime
The only time the fingerprints are going to make a difference is if you do not have a case on it. Most if not all people will have cases on the phone so I don’t quite understand why people are using that as an excuse for not getting the phone. It’s bizarre to say the least and what it gets fingerprints?? Take a cloth and wipe it down...job done and profit lol.

I mean my iPhone XS last night I took my case off it and it had plenty of gunk and dust that have attached itself to the phone. The sides are polished, all I did was take a micro fibre cloth and wipe it clean...brand new now lol.

Back
Top Bottom