First build in 20 years.

Associate
So I'm going to build a PC that will be shared between me and my girlfriend (mainly me) for gaming, general work and some video/photo editing. Most strenuous load will be gaming, 1440p 144hz on my monitor and 4k on my OLED TV.

Case: NZXT 710i
CPU: AMD 5900x (or 5800x)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Z73 360mm AIO
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix x570-E Gaming ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance pro 32gb (2x16) DDR4 3600Mhz
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Video Card: Palit RTX 3080 Gaming Pro
Power Supply: ASUS Rog Strix 850W 80 PLUS Gold Fully-Modular PSU or Whisper M Series 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

Any suggestions? I'll probably add some 2.5inch SSD storage later down the road but for now we don't really need it. I already have the GPU but I haven't bought anything else yet.

One thing i'd like to add is that I value low operating volume quite highly, I don't routinely use headphones so I'd like the system to be relatively quiet (coil whine really gets to me!).

Thanks!

Soldato
A couple of changes

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,348.59 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Sound damped case with good aiflow
Better motherboard
3800x as a standby for 5800x. No real point in the 5900x if gaming is going to eb the most strenous use IMHO.
Better timed ram speeds and no rgb
Samsung m.2 is overpriced. You could buy 2 for almost the same price as the samsung. The boards upports 2 so why not??
Corsair psu. No paying 'ROG' tax :p

Last edited:
Soldato
My suggestion is don't hold you breath being able to get RTX 3080 anytime soon. 3070's may be more abundant but are going in price everyday but the soon to be released Big Navi's might help by swallowing up some of the demand from people who are waiting for additional supplies of the 3080.

Soldato
A few cheaper alternatives.

Cheaper case with good airflow. The H710i is pretty restrictive due to the solid front panel. Not sure how good/bad the stock fans are in the Lancool II but they can always be swapped out. The Arctic P fans are really good value for money.

The MSI B550 Gaming Edge can handle a 3950X so a 5800X/5900X won't be an issue. The onboard wifi is also handy to have.

Some cheaper 3200MHz Ram. As you are waiting for the 5000 series cpu's then wait for reviews as faster ram might be beneficial.

Solid psu that is nice and quiet. The warranty isn't as long as the Corsair (7 years) but that is plenty imo.

A good air cooler should be quieter than a liquid cooler, and there is no risk of leakages/pump failure etc.

The Corsair SSD is a placeholder, as I would go for an Adata SX8200 PRO but it isn't sold on here, so Google is your friend there. I would avoid Samsung as they are overpriced.

I haven't added a cpu as you are going with a 5xxx series.

Total: £652.56 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Associate
OP
A couple of changes

Total: £1,348.59 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Sound damped case with good aiflow
Better motherboard
3800x as a standby for 5800x. No real point in the 5900x if gaming is going to eb the most strenous use IMHO.
Better timed ram speeds and no rgb
Samsung m.2 is overpriced. You could buy 2 for almost the same price as the samsung. The boards upports 2 so why not??
Corsair psu. No paying 'ROG' tax :p

That's amazing, thanks for the suggestions, saving myself some money too with a few of those ideas.

What makes you say that the MSI is a better motherboard than the one I had?

Do you think the 3800x would be fine for my purposes then? I get quite hesitant purchasing 'older' technology just before the new stuff comes out, held out to get the 3080 for that reason.

Associate
OP
My suggestion is don't hold you breath being able to get RTX 3080 anytime soon. 3070's may be more abundant but are going in price everyday but the soon to be released Big Navi's might help by swallowing up some of the demand from people who are waiting for additional supplies of the 3080.

As someone has already pointed out, I have it sitting here. Came yesterday.

Soldato
I would consider the 10850K over a 5800X as it should perform the same in gaming at 1440p+ and also better in multi core workloads, it's available right now and is slightly cheaper than 5800X.

Associate
So I'm going to build a PC that will be shared between me and my girlfriend (mainly me) for gaming, general work and some video/photo editing. Most strenuous load will be gaming, 1440p 144hz on my monitor and 4k on my OLED TV.

Case: NZXT 710i
CPU: AMD 5900x (or 5800x)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Z73 360mm AIO
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix x570-E Gaming ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance pro 32gb (2x16) DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card: Palit RTX 3080 Gaming Pro
Power Supply: ASUS Rog Strix 850W 80 PLUS Gold Fully-Modular PSU or Whisper M Series 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

Any suggestions? I'll probably add some 2.5inch SSD storage later down the road but for now we don't really need it. I already have the GPU but I haven't bought anything else yet.

One thing i'd like to add is that I value low operating volume quite highly, I don't routinely use headphones so I'd like the system to be relatively quiet (coil whine really gets to me!).

Thanks!
I have a fractal design DEFINE S whith 3 front fans and my vega64 is comfortable in there even in the summer. I would definitely wait for the new Navi video cardz:)

Soldato
Samsungs are all more or less brand overpriced.

For bang buck choise would be WD Blue SN550.
In mostly games there's hardly any laoding time difference between NVMe and SATA SSD, so any NVMe has pletny of untapped potential.
But you can also get full speed PCIe v3 drive at reasonable price:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...state-drive-rv.1-zp1000cm3a001-hd-3c0-se.html

What makes you say that the MSI is a better motherboard than the one I had?

Do you think the 3800x would be fine for my purposes then? I get quite hesitant purchasing 'older' technology just before the new stuff comes out, held out to get the 3080 for that reason.
First of all very expensive board won't make CPU any faster or longer good lasting, but only you that much poorer.

And X570 chipset coolers of Asus are straight from the rear end of marketroids:
Actual heatsink under marketing excrement covers is small.
And relies on constant airflow from constantly running fan.
With everything in the worst place directly under graphics card to be suffocated in its heat.​
So put there high heat output graphics card and chipset will be running hot in gaming sessions.
And should be easy to guess what happens if/when chipset fan fails.

Again Gigabyte and MSI have proper sized chipset heatsinks farther from the heat of GPU and operate mostly passively, if you have working case cooling.
And would likely keep still working nicely with failed fan.
So you wouldn't even get real quality for that expensive price, only big pile of brand fashion BS of bad substandard design.

And actually even B550 board would do well.

Associate
I would consider the 10850K over a 5800X as it should perform the same in gaming at 1440p+ and also better in multi core workloads, it's available right now and is slightly cheaper than 5800X.
we still do not know the gaming performance of 5800x but can bet any of these two will be good enough

Back
Top Bottom