• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Its really not pointless if i need HEDT chip for a specific workload and my only option is 6900, along comes the 1800x doing it better for cheaper, id be stupid not to buy in, in this scenario AMD wins, and there was a fair few people who bought them for. HEDT tasks even with the limits the platform gave.

So no, stop spouting your nonsense

What did I say? You think anecdotal evidence wins this argument?

AMD will undercut nvidia by $50 at most. Just like they attempted with the 5700XT. If indeed their cards perform better, they will be priced the same if not higher.

AMD know their cards will sell out. They can cut prices later if needed.

Soldato
See im kinda in the same mindset, however AMD must still realise they have an absolute mountain of Nvidias mindshare they need to climb before they can truly bathe in the Quan!! (Jerry Maguire)

I still firmly believe this could be there Zen moment, when they brought zen performance to market against Intel, while they didnt take the gaming crown, they made 8c 16t available to all really, so much so that the 6900 Intel chip was basically rendered obsolete over night at its price point.

AMD knew they had a killer multithread chip, and the start of their journey, its only now a few gens later are they able to charge market leadership prices, as they are now the market leaders.

Lisa Su is extremely shrewd, she knows they need to buy back the gpu faith, AMD knows they have basically let Nvidia own the gpu market for a good few years now, and im fairly certain she wont come in with a similar product at a similar price, as people will just stick with what they know.

It took AMD a good few years to turn CPU sales around, i think the GPU segment will be viewed in a similar light by them.

Im not expecting them to give cards away for free, but i am expecting them to really shake up the GPU market by offering similar performance at a really attractive price.

They still need to win over die hards, and you can only do that by covering all bases (Ray Tracing, Raster perf, DLSS etc) giving the die hards no option but to see that the products are now on par or superior.

You dont charge Nvidia money in an Nvidia Monopoly as AMD if your product does not beat Nvidia across the board, no one buys at that price, they just ride out the queue.

So while its currently hard times for Nvidia, its arguably worse for AMD, as they 10000% need to get their pricing right or it will just be more of the same from them, so near yet so far.

So as i pointed out at the start, this is probably their Zen1 moment in GPU segments, while they wont be the absolute best, they should charge a price that makes their product too attractive not to consider or choose.

My 2cps
I 100% agree on most of this... I've just got a horrible feeling that AMD will and possibly make the mistake of thinking they're still in the bigtime and charge accordingly... dont' get me wrong, if I was them I wouldn't I'd undercut nVidia by quite a bit and get that mindshare you mention 100%, they'vbe not really done that on INTEL, as they've been there or thereabouts.... whereas in GPU they've been wayyy off GPU Top Tier for sometime, infact I think the last time AMD had something that in pure FPS and raw power was the best was 295x2...

Yeah, agreed, if they really wanna slam dunk they need to undercut and out perform nVidia bigtime... but we're talking companies here as as much as I love AMD and have done since I owned there single coore Pentium equivalent CPU's, they have made some grace errors of judgement we all know this and I'm praying that Lisa... has the sense to know that she can put a nail in nVidia coffin in for 2020/2021 at least... and gram serious limelight and get nvidia owners to mvoe from green to red...

So, yeah I get what you say 100% fella.

Associate
Yes, and the highest specs in the leaked cards line up with the performance you would expect from a 3080-class GPU. The 6800XT specs line up with a 3070-class.

I don't see what is complicated about this logic, and that is, in lieu of any other credible information, is I am basing my assumptions on. Do some of you guys actually think that the specs of that 6800XT (3,840 SPs, 384 GBps memory bandwidth) would rival a 3080? If so, then that is some significant level of wild optimism there. Only the 6900XT reported specs look like they can threaten the 3080 and that was the highest card in the leaked spec list.

We will see whether I am right or wrong on 28th October and then I am more than happy to revisit these posts.

Revisiting a little early as interested to know if you have changed you mind?

Caporegime

AMD will undercut nvidia by $50 at most. Just line they attempted with the 5700XT. If indeed their cards perform better, they will be priced the same if not higher.

So: Reality check. AMD made Intel's HEDT line obsolete, Intel have given up on it because even their HEDT can't beat AMD's mainstream performance.

AMD now own the HEDT market, Intel can't get a sniff in.

Associate

AMD will undercut nvidia by $50 at most. Just like they attempted with the 5700XT. If indeed their cards perform better, they will be priced the same if not higher.

AMD know their cards will sell out. They can cut prices later if needed.

Yeah because Lisa Su became arguably the biggest CEO in her field because she made stupid decisions like this? Get real... Navi was released just to stay relevant in the market, and to test out the Navi platform, if it had been better we wouldn't get RDNA2, we would have newer bigger RDNA1 cards.

It was launched purely to showcase PCIE4 alongside their x570 etc platform, whats the point marketing PCIE4 on your motherboard if you have no cards to utilise it, nvmes came later.

So no, your talking nonsense again, even AMD know they cant come to market £50 than Nvidia if they are not competitive, especially given Nvidias current troubles getting cards out.

If anything Lisa is shrewd enough to cut them price's low enough to get people cancelling their pre orders and switching over, you dont do that by offering less of a product for only a marginally small decrease in price, its not how business works

Soldato
Yeah because Lisa Su became arguably the biggest CEO in her field because she made stupid decisions like this? Get real... Navi was released just to stay relevant in the market, and to test out the Navi platform, if it had been better we wouldn't get RDNA2, we would have newer bigger RDNA1 cards.

It was launched purely to showcase PCIE4 alongside their x570 etc platform, whats the point marketing PCIE4 on your motherboard if you have no cards to utilise it, nvmes came later.

So no, your talking nonsense again, even AMD know they cant come to market £50 than Nvidia if they are not competitive, especially given Nvidias current troubles getting cards out.

If anything Lisa is shrewd enough to cut them price's low enough to get people cancelling their pre orders and switching over, you dont do that by offering less of a product for only a marginally small decrease in price, its not how business works

AMD cards are selling out at the same price as Nvidia for many reasons. They don't need people switching pre-orders.

You don't price lower than you have to. You maximise margin for any given capacity, it's not rocket science.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It's really simple.

I'll spell it out for you.

Scenario 1 - 3080 is £649 performs the same as a 6800XT priced at £699 - I buy the 3080

Scenario 2 - 3080 is £649 performs the same as a 6800XT priced at £599 - I buy the 6800XT

I need to make it simpler, but harder for you to decide:

Both scenario's need adjusting. nvidia dont even sell thier own cards now, but regular folk who use sites like OcUK (go check) the cheapest one starts at £700. So you need it adjusting to:

Scenario X - 3080 is £699+ performs..

Now which one do you choose?

Associate
So: Reality check. AMD made Intel's HEDT line obsolete, Intel have given up on it because even their HEDT can't beat AMD's mainstream performance.

AMD now own the HEDT market, Intel can't get a sniff in.

Exactly this!

And with Threadripper, if AMD release at new version on the new platform they will start eating into the standard desktop market, as quite simply they will be monstrous cpus.

Associate
AMD cards are selling out at the same price as Nvidia for many reasons. They don't need people switching pre-orders.

You don't price lower than you have to.

Very true, but you HAVE to price lower in a market where you are around 20% ownership, and your product is not as good as the market leaders in certain areas, and where the market leader has vendor specific feature lock on their products keeping people tied to them.

To not price competitively is folly and will result in loss of even more market share.

Pretty certain AMD analysis of the market looking at the reason why their share is so small does not juat point to inferior performance, it will be made of many many factors that they have to put right before they know they can have leadership potential in again like they now have in CPU.

Permabanned
Yeah because Lisa Su became arguably the biggest CEO in her field because she made stupid decisions like this?

If Lisa Su didn't launch the Ryzen 7 1700 for $330 with double the core count (and ultimately 50% higher performance in PassMark multi-threaded) against the Core i7-7700K which retailed for $350, I am quite sure that things regarding the sales would have been much, much different now.

Soldato
If Lisa Su didn't launch the Ryzen 7 1700 for $330 with double the core count (and ultimately 50% higher performance in PassMark multi-threaded) against the Core i7-7700K which retailed for $350, I am quite sure that things regarding the sales would have been much, much different now.

So we now saying they only need to undercut the going rate rather than the MSRP (7700K = $305). What's the going rate of a 3080?

Caporegime
OP
Same here, that is why I could never figure out why you was happy with 1440p (apart from thinking you either need to go spec savers or some people just see differently) until you told us all you sit 4 feet away from you monitor. I sit less than half that distance so 2160p makes a huge difference to image quality at that distance :D
Yea, I don't sit close but will spot stutter/judder right away. Plus I do think it is time for me to go to specsavers, as I had to make the text bigger on forums and news feeds :D

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yea, I don't sit close but will spot stutter/judder right away. Plus I do think it is time for me to go to specsavers, as I had to make the text bigger on forums and news feeds :D

Not the only one Im afraid, my eyes are terrible, concentration slipping. I do spend a lot of the day at the screen though for day job and gonna have to concede to blocky large text and dark backgrounds - its taken its toll on the old body now.

Caporegime
OP
Not the only one Im afraid, my eyes are terrible, concentration slipping. I do spend a lot of the day at the screen though for day job and gonna have to concede to blocky large text and dark backgrounds - its taken its toll on the old body now.
At 50 years young, I don't mind admitting it is time to make the visit. Plus I sit 150ft ish up a crane and need to see properly for that.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I need to make it simpler, but harder for you to decide:

Both scenario's need adjusting. nvidia dont even sell thier own cards now, but regular folk who use sites like OcUK (go check) the cheapest one starts at £700. So you need it adjusting to:

Scenario X - 3080 is £699+ performs..

Now which one do you choose?

What price are you saying the 6800XT will be in your scenario?

£599/£649/£699?

£599 then instantly AMD if the performance is roughly on par with a 3080 (i.e. as the leaks show so far)

£649 at launch, with stock, still AMD, especially if there is plentiful stock and no price gouge.

£699 Then I'll wait it out until 3080 FE's are back in stock at £649 or 6800XT drops to £649, whichever comes sooner.

Soldato
This thread going on a tangent lol. Never had issue with my sight till this year. 42, and I notice that I'm starting to struggle with tiny text on power adapters and pushing things further away to get in focus. Might be me working 80 hour weeks the past 3 months due to software crunches though lol. (Super tired)

Looking forward to the 6xxx series announcement in a few days. I am going to assume they will actually be available 3 to 4 weeks after the announcement.

All I am hoping for is something more powerful than my 2060, with sensible power usage (3xxx is just silly high), and better RT perf for sane money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom