**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Does anybody here that runs a separate set of winter/summer wheels, have an alignment done when switching between sets?

Contemplating having mine done having just fitted my winters, my summers are wearing perfectly and the car was last aligned to them.

Rears after 6,000 miles or so seem to be about 1mm more worn in the inner edge, probably a tolerance I can live with, especially this winter with a heavily reduced 'Covid' commute 2/5ths of usual mileage currently vs last year.

That said the rears may have been overinflated. Fronts are wearing evenly on the same wheels. (RWD)

Last edited:
Soldato
When for a blast up the A24 today! Glorious sunshine streaming between the woods & these new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tyres grip the twisty roads like your ex-wife would grip your wallet in a messy divorce :p:D

Associate
Any recommendations for some new rubber for a Hyundai Santa fe - have only ever had Michelin Latitude Sports 3s on there, which are fine and happy to replace with again - wondering if it may be worth getting some cross climate types or is there something better out there?
95% of driving is on smallish country lanes - wet mud is going to be an issue for most types of tyres is my assumption?

Caporegime
Does anybody here that runs a separate set of winter/summer wheels, have an alignment done when switching between sets?

Contemplating having mine done having just fitted my winters, my summers are wearing perfectly and the car was last aligned to them.

Rears after 6,000 miles or so seem to be about 1mm more worn in the inner edge, probably a tolerance I can live with, especially this winter with a heavily reduced 'Covid' commute 2/5ths of usual mileage currently vs last year.

That said the rears may have been overinflated. Fronts are wearing evenly on the same wheels. (RWD)
You align the wheels. The tyres are irrelevant

Soldato
What are peoples opinions on mixing run flat tyres and non run flat tyres? I purchased a set of 19" alloys for my F11 a few months back and the rear tyres need replacing but I don't want run flat tyres on the car.

Would you risk running non run flats on the rear and run flats on the front or just bite the bullet and swap all four over?

Associate
What are peoples opinions on mixing run flat tyres and non run flat tyres? I purchased a set of 19" alloys for my F11 a few months back and the rear tyres need replacing but I don't want run flat tyres on the car.

Would you risk running non run flats on the rear and run flats on the front or just bite the bullet and swap all four over?

I am doing exactly that. Was going to change the fronts as well a couple of months after, but lockdown hit and I am not driving at all for work, so have been running them since the start of the year.

Soldato
Soldato
10% code 2+ tyres at kwik-fit for some goodyear & cross-climate seems a reasonable offer - when does it expire ?
equally halfords have £50 back on 4 tyres ... I only really need 3(recent puncture), but that's 50% off the fourth.

Soldato
its not too bad, best all season tyre out there :) if thats what you want :)

i got stuck in the snow last year/start of this year at work. needed pushed out by the guys at work several times. im looking for a tyre that will stop this from happening. (snow was only half an inch at most.) this was on bridgestone turanza t001 tryres which is a summer tyre. so im looking for something better than those.

Soldato
Hmmm... Well.... Maybe?

Not according to this test where they came 5th:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2020-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

I do quite fancy the new Goodyear Vector 4Season gen3, which came top of that test, as well as the Auto Bild test. And beat out the Cross-Climates in the Auto Bild All Season Braking Test.

i was using this review to make my decision. the gen 3's were looking good, but then if you look at the review of the conti all season contact looks much better. so i dont understand how they put it third in the list.

Underboss
i got stuck in the snow last year/start of this year at work. needed pushed out by the guys at work several times. im looking for a tyre that will stop this from happening. (snow was only half an inch at most.) this was on bridgestone turanza t001 tryres which is a summer tyre. so im looking for something better than those.

i bought them last year, when Jon from Tyre Reviews Highly rated them

i used them all through last winter, and when the temperature drops they are leaps and boundaries ahead of summer tyres, night and day difference, which is why i run them all year round

I didn't get a chance to test them in the snow as we did not get any, but in the icy conditions the grip is phenomenal

they may have placed lower down this year, only because the other manufactures have put out newer tyres since, Michelin have not, Cross Climates 2's will be available next year

Soldato
i was using this review to make my decision. the gen 3's were looking good, but then if you look at the review of the conti all season contact looks much better. so i don't understand how they put it third in the list.

Looks like the Goodyears did better than the Conti's in more tests than not. Which would probably explain why it was placed higher. That and the significant cost difference would have affected the weighting to some degree. Also, I think he weighted the wet performance relatively high also (30%), because that's what we are more likely to get here in the UK. Hence why the Hankook came in well, as it seemed to perform very well in the wet stuff.

Soldato
Yes, considering switching from Goodyear/effficient, to all season -
given 20% premium on michelin cross-clims versus current tyres - I think I'd go vector, albeit with current kf offers vector is same price as cross-clim;
some of vector comments on noise+wet-braking when worn - um

with the all weather premium , do you really get 2 winters out of them, or if the summer has taken the edge off, with additional wear, do they have the tread left to make them as effective the following winter ?

Soldato
I think deep water is the main issue I face on the roads year round, like today. The M65, M66 and A56 had numerous large deep puddles. Traffic was down to single lane, 40mph in some areas. Are all seasons better for water displacement than summer tyres?

Underboss
Soldato
Yes, considering switching from Goodyear/effficient, to all season -
given 20% premium on michelin cross-clims versus current tyres - I think I'd go vector, albeit with current kf offers vector is same price as cross-clim;
some of vector comments on noise+wet-braking when worn - um

with the all weather premium , do you really get 2 winters out of them, or if the summer has taken the edge off, with additional wear, do they have the tread left to make them as effective the following winter ?

My Volvo had Cross Climates on for the 2 years I had it. Never noticed any deterioration in performance the whole time I had them. To be fair though, I only put about 6k on them in the time I had it. And don't know how old they were when I picked the car up.

Soldato
I, too, currently don't do more than 6K.

One cross-climate 'option' - since I only really need 3 tyres, following a recent'ish puncture, is, like the earlier 118d owner,
just having 2 cross-climates on rear axel (3 series) and buy the one matching summer tyre for the front,
whether that would create a significant braking imbalance ?, but, conversely, in genuine snow/ice might benefit rwd car - hum.
(I've never put a bag of sand in the boot, for ballast, but have seen that proposed).

Back
Top Bottom