Finding choosing the next car hard :/

Associate
So this is going to be quite a long, but hopefully honest post, and I expect some flaming but.......

I've been looking for a new car since about two years into buying a Civic (I bought an approved used Civic - 1.8 NA) about 3.5 years ago, it's a 13 plate and I paid about £6.8K for it (outright)). The civic has been amazing reliable (I mean nothing goes wrong on it even if I treat it quite badly!) and whilst I'm happy with the performance (about 140-180 BHP is easily enough for me!) it's never had that premium feel I wanted - and with the advent of digital dashboards and android auto etc it feels outdated. It's not that it *needs* changing is that I want a change, I want something that feels premium and has the new tech.

Now this isn't a 'look at me thread' but I do have a fair amount (the civic is probably worth about 3.2K and I could put down 8-12K without needing a bank loan, and would be happy at the 400 a month level on lease or PCP etc) to put into a new car. But I wanted to try and be sensible (given I don't want anything special performance wise). I narrowed down a list of things I actually care about:
[1] I wanted an SUV or cross-over - why? I have no idea, is it because you sit a bit higher? Maybe. Is it because it can more easily fit a bike in? Maybe. But at the end of the day I prefer the SUV style and look with *the only exception* being the 3 series touring.
[2] I want all the tech... ALL OF IT, active cruise control, lane assist, big infotainment screen, digital dials. Do it need it? Hell no. Do I really really want it... YES.
[3] I must be in the same power range as the Civic (so 140BHP +) and preferable not something with a Diesel like turbo lag...

So... I ended up (this weekend) almost buying a Kamiq by Skoda, in a high end spec with a 1.5 TSI engine on a PCP offering (about 13K over 3 years inc deposit). But after a great test drive, I just couldn't help myself thinking - do I really want a Skoda? Yes it appears I might well be a badge snob, and in a 'blind' test with my mates, they'd see a VW TCross as a much better looking car (#itsthesameasthekamiq)...... the honest truth if is I bought it, I'd look out of the window and think 'meh' - is it bad to want a car that other people think 'ohh thats decent'? Maybe, but that's the world I'm in so...

I suspect OCUK is going to suggest I have a serious word with myself and either keep the civic or stop caring about what other people think or perhaps you have other thoughts on a sensible option I could buy.

Thanks for listening,

UL

Soldato
If you want an SUV then stop worrying about what other people think. You'll never get one that causes other people to think 'oh that's decent' - you go from 'meh' straight to 'what a show off *****' :p

Whilst you'll never wow people with a Skoda, there is a certain satisfaction in seeing people realise how much you got for your money compared to the VW/Audi they're paying through the nose for :p

FWIW, when I had a Kamiq on loan, everyone at work who saw it were positive and complimentary, which they didn't have to be given they knew it wasn't my car and I wasn't going to be upset if they said it was crap.

Soldato
Buy what you like driving and you think looks nice. I have a 2014 Focus because I really like driving it and I like the look of it. I don't really give a monkeys what other people think.

Soldato
I have a 3 series touring, it's great, F31 model without the digital dash or android auto though but they're well down my list of things I actually want in a car. Also only the 320d M sport so its not super powerful, a 330 would be better. Bike would go in it I'm sure.

Associate
I would suggest that no-one whose opinion you value is going to give a flying eff what you are driving.
If you want to impress the scene bois / girls, you aren't going to be buying an SUV/Crossover, in fact I'd be surprised if anyone would be impressed what SUV/Crossover you chose since i'd think most people who would choose them have no interest in cars for things other than utility.
It's such a strange phenomena paying that much money to effectively try and impress other people.
But, it's your money so spend/waste it how you see fit.

Man of Honour
Eh? there are several BMW and Audi SUVs that look pretty good and the Tiguan in higher spec levels isn't hateful. Though there are plenty that do look meh.

Can't say they are necessarily better than an estate for fitting a bike though - a lot of SUVs don't make good use of the size.

Associate
OP
Agree with Roff there are plenty of 'good looking' SUVs.

I think it's akin to buying a new suit, now imagine you tried on a new suit and everyone thought 'you look like crap in that', would you buy it?
I guess I think there's a difference between wanting to buy something so that other people see status (which I don't care about I think) vs buying something other people think is nice (which I kinda clearly do care about).
I might be digging myself a deeper hole, but maybe there's a difference?

Man of Honour
One of the problems with SUVs and tech - the more reasonable priced ones that have loads of tech are of the likes of the Qashqai - I'd feel like I'd given up on life if I'd bought one as a main vehicle.

Associate
Of course you do, they are agreeing with parts of your post..

Not sure I agree with your comparison i'm afraid, suits are meant to make you look smart so it's a given that if you looked crap in one in particular you wouldn't buy it.
But then, you probably aren't going to look crap in a car unless you wrap it in gold chrome with 50 inch chrome spinners for wheels...

I don't see much of a difference tbh, you're wanting to buy a vehicle with one of the primary concerns being what other people will think of you driving it.
Obviously you're more than welcome to do what you want with your money, but you asked for opinions..

Soldato
One person's 'nice' SUV is another person's 'knob status symbol' SUV. You really need to just buy the car that you like, that serves your needs and that you're happy with.

If you're really that concerned on the opinions of others, you'll need to go and canvass those people for their opinions really. As above, for everyone who thinks a BMW is nice, another will think you're an arrogant ****. For everyone who thinks a Skoda is an astute bargain buy, another will think is an embarrassing brand. You'll forever go round in circles if you care what other people think to any degree because whatever guy you buy will result in a range of opinions.

Soldato
Eh? there are several BMW and Audi SUVs that look pretty good and the Tiguan in higher spec levels isn't hateful. Though there are plenty that do look meh.

Can't say they are necessarily better than an estate for fitting a bike though - a lot of SUVs don't make good use of the size.

All I see is a giant grille on wheels

Man of Honour
One person's 'nice' SUV is another person's 'knob status symbol' SUV. You really need to just buy the car that you like, that serves your needs and that you're happy with.

If you're really that concerned on the opinions of others, you'll need to go and canvass those people for their opinions really. As above, for everyone who thinks a BMW is nice, another will think you're an arrogant ****. For everyone who thinks a Skoda is an astute bargain buy, another will think is an embarrassing brand. You'll forever go round in circles if you care what other people think to any degree because whatever guy you buy will result in a range of opinions.

I've said it before but I find it odd how the vehicle you turn up in can completely set the tone of people's impression of you before they've even got to know you. Especially funny with people who think a lot of themselves when you turn up in a nicer vehicle than they drive.

Back
Top Bottom