Can't afford school meals for kids, but billions for homebuyers, sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
They sent letters home with the kids, they don't do that at all now. We get about 10-15 emails a week from our eldests primary school. Without a phone or pc we wouldn't have a clue what was going on. Absolutely everything from payments, after / before school club, menus and general information is only accessible online.

Parents can get access to computers through libraries. Also buying a desktop PC that can do the basics can be had for less than £100.

Soldato
Parents can get access to computers through libraries. Also buying a desktop PC that can do the basics can be had for less than £100.

Who goes to the library every day? The nearest library to us with internet access is 20 minutes by bus and would cost £4.80 return or £24 a week. That certainly wouldn't be a solution for someone already on the breadline lol.

How do access your desktop if you're at work? Just admit it, owning a mobile phone is pretty much vital in this digital age.

Last edited:
Permabanned

What library? They got shut down where I live because nobody was getting out books.

They tried to come to the digital era to let people do job searches in line with the new universal credit - that didn't work everyone was just searching online at home.

They then tried to increase pcs as printing stations to central printers so people could print their CVs out, that didn't work either as people where emailing CVs instead of printing out.

Guess what - libraries closed last year.

Soldato
Who goes to the library every day? The nearest library to us with internet access is 20 minutes by bus and would cost £4.80 return or £24 a week. That certainly wouldn't be a solution for someone already on the breadline lol.

How do access your desktop if you're at work? Just admit it, owning a mobile phone is pretty much vital in this digital age.
I'd suggest a £40 Alcatel basic smartphone and a £6 SIM only for someone who's really limited on money, it's enough for modern web access at least.

Soldato
I'd suggest a £40 Alcatel basic smartphone and a £6 SIM only for someone who's really limited on money, it's enough for modern web access at least.

Of course, that's not the argument at all. Something basic is absolutely fine, but they are essential these days especially if you have kids.

Soldato
Lol what did people do in the 90's without mobile phones and the internet.
LOL! answer me the questions below then...

Is a smart phone non-essential though? What if it their sole means of communication and they rely on it to talk and see family and friends? I see this argument made frequently, "they shouldn't have TV", "they shouldn't have any alcohol", etc.... What arbitrary level of depravity does someone have to attain before they are deemed worthy of salvation though? Does the mother and her kids need to be living in a box on the street, scraping amongst rat **** for food before enough is enough and she's allowed a few of your precious £?

If we're going to deny people things like smart phones, what kind of phone are they "allowed" as well? Should it be no better than a Nokia 3310? (amazing phone tbf though).... How do we police this policy too? Shall we have an army of enforcement officers from the council running random spot checks for us?

"you there! Yes you. Is that an iPhone 6 you have in your hands madam? I'm sorry, you're going to have to come with us!"

So long as those of us who have "paid their way" can be sure someone is truly in the gutter before they get their benefits, we're content yeah? Yeah!

I get your point though by the way. People should be educated better to manage their money and their life. It's a tough pill for some that they essentially see themselves bailing out other people's misfortunes or poor life choices... Or, more sadly, their inherent disadvantaged life.

RDM

RDM

Soldato

Unsurprisingly, it isn't the 90s anymore. The world moved on and there is pretty much an expectation of internet access at home now. All of our parental communications are done online these days, all of our payments are done online, letters were being phased out before Covid, with Covid we aren't taking the risk.

Soldato
as single male the government would allow me to be homeless and stave before I get any support, no tax credits, no free meals , no housing assistance etc

I have to pay higher tax than most, the only discount I get is on council tax lol

and yep I'm quite fearful with my 40's coming quick and fast

Soldato
as single male the government would allow me to be homeless and stave before I get any support, no tax credits, no free meals , no housing assistance etc

I have to pay higher tax than most, the only discount I get is on council tax lol

and yep I'm quite fearful with my 40's coming quick and fast
Do you feel you should get these benefits before a child does?

Soldato

I feel I shouldn't have to pay for it, as having a child is a choice, I don't have much choice in existing but I have to be taxed more to pay someone elses kid sorry.

But by having a child you get lots more benefits and privileges you get for having a child way before free school meals come into place

Where is the limit, what shouldn't the government (from my tax's) pay for if you or someone have a child, the mothers and the childs clothing ? , the car and the upkeep of it so little johnny and mum can go to school and work? Where does the responsibility of the parents stops and the government start when the upbringing of a child

There is a reason why the vast majority of the staving and homeless in the UK are single males as we are bottom of the pile for support for anything.

Associate
I’m confused, do we in the UK think benefits are too much or too little?!

but I am firmly in the camp of children are a choice and the sole responsibility of the parents. Can’t pay, we’ll take ‘em away.

want to have children, make sure you have a rainy day fund.

Soldato
I feel I shouldn't have to pay for it, as having a child is a choice, I don't have much choice in existing but I have to be taxed more to pay someone elses kid sorry.

But by having a child you get lots more benefits and privileges you get for having a child way before free school meals come into place

Where is the limit, what shouldn't the government (from my tax's) pay for if you or someone have a child, the mothers and the childs clothing ? , the car and the upkeep of it so little johnny and mum can go to school and work? Where does the responsibility of the parents stops and the government start when the upbringing of a child

There is a reason why the vast majority of the staving and homeless in the UK are single males as we are bottom of the pile for support for anything.

I have a child, I receive child benefit, something I never realised I could claim since we both work. It's £80 every 4 weeks. We don't get reduced council tax like you though.

Why do I subsidise your reduced council tax? Where is the limit? I don't feel I should subsidise your council tax, you pay it. Pay your health care whilst you're at it. You see the problem? You're infighting and focusing on the wrong problem. You're a victim of media sensationalism, just like some of the other single males in this thread.

Rethink your position. Why are mp's claiming £200k+ on annual expenses when they're earning £70k+? Why aren't you directing your attention to this? Ask yourself, why are you singling out who you are? What's your reasons?

There is a reason why single males are the vast majority of of the starving and homeless. However, it's probably not the reason you think it is.

PS..

Soldato
I’m confused, do we in the UK think benefits are too much or too little?!

but I am firmly in the camp of children are a choice and the sole responsibility of the parents. Can’t pay, we’ll take ‘em away.

want to have children, make sure you have a rainy day fund.
Can't pay we'll take em away :D fml

Associate
I have a child, I receive child benefit, something I never realised I could claim since we both work. It's £80 every 4 weeks. We don't get reduced council tax like you though.

Why do I subsidise your reduced council tax? Where is the limit? I don't feel I should subsidise your council tax, you pay it. Pay your health care whilst you're at it. You see the problem? You're infighting and focusing on the wrong problem. You're a victim of media sensationalism, just like some of the other single males in this thread.

Rethink your position. Why are mp's claiming £200k+ on annual expenses when they're earning £70k+? Why aren't you directing your attention to this? Ask yourself, why are you singling out who you are? What's your reasons?

There is a reason why single males are the vast majority of of the starving and homeless. However, it's probably not the reason you think it is.

PS..

why are we so angry at MP’s getting compensation for their work? I would think that being a senior manager of...the country should attract a good wage, hopefully attracting good performance.

why don’t we direct our attention to other, more highly earning people?

should we just provide everybody the same, a standard house, standard level of food and care?

Soldato

Jesus..

What did the neanderthals do without fire? We managed to survive for centuries without it, can't have been that essential.

It's 2020, the 90's were 30 years ago.

Nowadays, internet access and mobile phones are a necessity. How many businesses are moving to an online only presence? Are we just going to cut off an entire section of the community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom