inch of ginger grated
2 tbsp mixed powder
1 tsp cinnamon
can of coconut milk
1 large chicken breast chopped
1 sweet potato chopped into small pieces
handful of cherry tomatoes halved
1 tsp dried methi leaves

Fried the onion, garlic and ginger in about 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil.
Added the mixed powder and cinnamon.
Add the chicken and sweet potato.
Add the coconut milk and simmer until sweet potato is nearly done.
Add the tomatoes and dried methi leaves and simmer until potato and tomatoes begin to break down.

And it was lovely the sweet potato thickened the sauce and gave it a nice sweetness, and the high level of cinnamon was a really nice change.

Soldato
Second attempt at my coconut sauce chicken curry, much better this time, more moist. Added more curry powder, a yellow pepper and cumin, it had much more bite to it. Very tasty. There's a little portion left over which I'll reheat tomorrow for a small curry. Oh yeah, got a nice new frying pan lid from Ikea.

Soldato
Just spent this week in India (Pune) for work (zipped through new dehli airport food too).

Stunning food; no “jalfrezi” but the food of the region is known for it’s spices.

Soldato
Just spent this week in India (Pune) for work (zipped through new dehli airport food too).

Stunning food; no “jalfrezi” but the food of the region is known for it’s spices.

Did you try any bhakarwadi when you were there? Looks like dog treats, as addictive as heroin!

Soldato
Did you try any bhakarwadi when you were there? Looks like dog treats, as addictive as heroin!

No, I did try a number of restaurant curries from the local area, so the work canteen had some awesome dishes including a byriani that was lovely and hot.
Varadhi curry was great too.

I think next time it will be a longer trip - landed Monday afternoon, left Friday morning.

Last edited:
Soldato
as a follow up. cooking to me is an art form not a science.

you wouldn't ask picasso how many brush strokes it takes to make a skyline. it takes what it takes.

so things like cook for x mins i never follow. i watch the food. things like 1 teaspoon of this. i could add more or less.

also the ingredients i use you cannot buy. all my spices are home made fresh by mother in law. so the garam masala and chilli powder i'm putting in is 100 times better than the ones you are putting in. not even restaurants use the quality of the stuff i use. as it's too time consuming and cheaper to buy it in bulk

This is among the greatest posts I’ve ever read on here, kudos.

Soldato
No, I did try a number of restaurant curries from the local area, so the work canteen had some awesome dishes including a byriani that was lovely and hot.
Varadhi curry was great too.

I think next time it will be a longer trip - landed Monday afternoon, left Friday morning.

Try them next time! The birianis there are brilliant and I think I remembered having a varadhi, like you work trip and we spent a few nights in our hotel after long days which was Italian, but it was probably one of the best Italian meals I’ve had in my life!!

Back
Top Bottom