Future upgrades

Associate
Afternoon peeps,

Just after some opinions from people with a lot more knowledge than me, I built a PC just over a year ago. Was a cheap build just to get my toes into the water before the new gen consoles came out, I don’t plan on buying either of the new consoles. Just wondering what I can upgrade or swap out without spending a fortune before the fat man comes

Current specs

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2 GHz
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Motherboard
  • Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 Pulse 8GB
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)
  • Corsair CX-M Series 650W 80 Plus Bronze Semi Modular Power Supply
  • TeamGroup 480GB L5 Lite SSD
  • Seagate 2TB BarraCuda
  • Kolink Stronghold Midi Tower Gaming Case
  • CableMod PRO ModMesh Cable Extension Kit - Black/Red
  • 5x BitFenix Spectre 120mm Fan
  • ASUS VG278Q Full HD 27" LED Gaming Monitor

STEELSERIES

• Arctis 5 7.1 Gaming Headset
  • Apex M750 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Sensei 310 Optical Gaming Mouse

Any help or opinions would be grateful

Thanks

Paul

Soldato
I would upgrade the Gpu to a 3070 or one of the new navi Gpus assuming you can get hold of these and maybe the monitor to the dell S2721DGF.

You could always get a 2tb nvme too and get rid of the HDD.

Associate
OP
No it’s not struggling with anything I’m playing at the minute. I’m just looking to tinker lol, it’s either I spend a few quid on the PC or spend a lot of money on my car instead

I’d look at a new gpu but I don’t fancy being in bidding war until the market dies down unless I go for something other than the 30 series.

Thanks for the heads up guys

Man of Honour
Soldato
just got the original one that came with my cpu which is a small AMD one, so that could be a good shout

Obvious quick upgrades are changing your CPU cooler and replacing the HDD with a SSD or NVME drive. You should consider a 3440x1440UW monitor when you upgrade your GPU.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £277.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

You'll be able to upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 series CPU next year, but only do so if your CPU runs out of puff.

Associate
OP
Obvious quick upgrades are changing your CPU cooler and replacing the HDD with a SSD or NVME drive. You should consider a 3440x1440UW monitor when you upgrade your GPU.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £277.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

You'll be able to upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 series CPU next year, but only do so if your CPU runs out of puff.

yeah I like the look of that cooler, at the minute I’m liking the idea of keeping it all stealth and clean, so I think that cooler is a defo on the list. I usually play FPS games and at the minute it handles the likes of cod and stuff a dream. Think I’ll go for proper upgrades after Christmas when everyone is still hammering the Mesmer gen consoles lol.

thanks for the help

Soldato
just got the original one that came with my cpu which is a small AMD one, so that could be a good shout
£25 Arctic Freezer would be well enough.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-co-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-079-ar.html
Though if you don't mind waiting that already costs extra £4 for no benefit ball bearing fan:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-077-ar.html

Not much sense in cooler costing third of the CPU when bang ber buck is obviously important.
And Samsung is still expensive for its QLC Flash instead of TLC.

Associate
OP
I wouldn’t be paying anywhere near Samsung’s prices for an SSD any time soon, but it’s something to definitely look into. It’s basically just to keep me busy tinkering and changing things up. I’ll wait for the new CPU and GPU prices to drop a bit, but in the mean time I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a new monitor in the sales over Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom