• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has Hardware Unboxed just confirmed ryzen 5000 will be much faster than intel and zen2 in games?

Soldato
OP
Ryzen 5000 may not be the only thing faster in games..............................squeaky bottom time at Nvidia maybe :)

XhHyb9v.jpg
I think you need to be careful with these “leaked” data. Even Igor’s lad video said it might be early engineering sample so no one knows. I don’t like to speculate too much about these sort of things.

But I myself have fallen hard on nvidia’s Digital Foundry “independent” verification in their launch and started to believe all sorts. So ya lesson learnt. Be cautious.

Associate
I watch their videos. It is just the way they had said things about the 5000 CPUs which they didn’t speculate about in the post launch video. It makes me think that they have got definitely data to say stuff in the Oct Q&A. Anyway so far the stuff been talked on this forum has all been hearsay and speculations and stuff of the rumour mills other than the 20% IPC lift from zen2 and the 10 games data is definitive (ie AMD gave us).
I get you. Actual reviewers obviously count for more than PR slides I suppose.

Soldato
I think you need to be careful with these “leaked” data. Even Igor’s lad video said it might be early engineering sample so no one knows. I don’t like to speculate too much about these sort of things.

But I myself have fallen hard on nvidia’s Digital Foundry “independent” verification in their launch and started to believe all sorts. So ya lesson learnt. Be cautious.

I know these are early engineering samples, in fact from an AIB. The interesting thing though is that these would have used very early unoptimized drivers.

Associate
Going back to the OP topic, it makes sense that the 6-core 5-series would be almost as fast in productivity as the 8-core 3-Series.
6/8 = 0.75, so that's the core disadvantage. AMD say 19% IPC gain, so 0.75 * 1.19 = 0.89 ie 89% as fast in multi-threaded tasks, while being up to 19% faster in lighter threaded tasks (ie tasks unable to make good use of more than 6 cores).
It all seems pretty reasonable, just going off whats already in the public domain.
Whether gaming even merits a place in the CPU performance debate is another question.... ;)

Associate
https://youtu.be/wU-X1JC6G9I

They go into 5600x vs 3700x @ 6:35

but most interestingly Steve said something quite affirmative at 13:44 “significant improvements”. Then Tim reigned him in by saying “going by AMd numbers of course”. But Steve pulled a smiley face. Immediately said said “we will have these benchmarks shortly...day one review”.

This sounds like they have tested the CPUs already.
i can tell you that most youtubers already have zen3 cpu's ... not all models though.. they now what is the performance.. 10000%

Associate
This! The core count isn't anywhere near as important as a lot of folk keep suggesting.
That depends entirely on the use-case. For gaming, it's very hard to fully take advantage of lots of cores equally. But then, for gaming, you don't really need a very powerful CPU in the first place, which is why reviews have to use stupid resolutions & CPU/ GPU combos that no-one in the real world would use, to even show a difference.
That's why Ryzen has been the better choice since series 2xxx IMO, because gaming performance was 'good enough' & productivity performance was excellent. 'But I don't do productivity !' - then you only need a mid-range CPU.

Soldato
I think anyone writing off AMD CPU and GPU as "nah, still won't be best" needs to have a bit of a re-think of their logic/etc.

CPU wise they've been right on Intel heels since Ryzen started and got closer each gen (with last gen being a "well, if you REALLY must spend another 20-30% for <10% extra... sure, Intel wins").
GPU wise they had the short run of AMD Radeon VII GPU's that were basically around a 2080 non-ti (with heat issues and... clearly not the best card, don't get me wrong). Again, right on nvidia's heels. Otherwise they made a point of staying out of the bleeding edge fight and fought in the mid-range markets (did pretty well too). Now they've stated an objective to have a "top card" again...

In both cases they've had major lithography improvements in their partner foundry to leverage in THIS generation of both CPU and GPU that puts them at an advantage vs intel/nvidia when they were already pretty close.

Soldato
That depends entirely on the use-case. For gaming, it's very hard to fully take advantage of lots of cores equally. But then, for gaming, you don't really need a very powerful CPU in the first place, which is why reviews have to use stupid resolutions & CPU/ GPU combos that no-one in the real world would use, to even show a difference.
That's why Ryzen has been the better choice since series 2xxx IMO, because gaming performance was 'good enough' & productivity performance was excellent. 'But I don't do productivity !' - then you only need a mid-range CPU.

Well, you need a CPU that can maintain your desired frame rate and graphics card can do the same at your resolution.

Soldato
Two at launch. But AMD will launching the top tier 6900XTX latter and will be the sole vendor, in other words it won't be supplied by AIB's.

Ahhhh, is the 6900XTX coming next year then? Hmmm, will have to see what I shoot for.
Do wonder if the (possibly completely circumstantial/opinion only) image quality improvements of the AMD cards over the nvidia ones is still a thing.

I remember there being quite a bit of examples where the nvdia ones SEEMED to be rendering less detail in a particular frame.

I remember a particular point myself. Was WoW (of all games :p ) in pandaria (MoP). There was a biiiiiig statue in the middle of the expansions main city area. There was definitely a "bit" of it missing when I switched from a 7950 to a (I think) 980ti at the time.

Soldato
With the 5600X being the same price as the 3700X it needs to beat the 3700X in all metrics.

If it does that, great. If it can't do that, the price needs to come down.

Back
Top Bottom