• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yeah but the new consoles are 6 core Zen 2. They're even clocked lower than a 3600.

The 5600 will destroy the console CPU. Then in a years time they'll release the 6600 which will destroy the 5600. Then the 7600 in another 12 months.

PC users will get a new 6 core CPU year on year. The consoles will get incredibly far behind.

The consoles are an 8c/16t Zen 2 clocked at 3.8ghz, basically a 3700 none X

Soldato
Yeah but the new consoles are 6 core Zen 2. They're even clocked lower than a 3600.

The 5600 will destroy the console CPU. Then in a years time they'll release the 6600 which will destroy the 5600. Then the 7600 in another 12 months.

PC users will get a new 6 core CPU year on year. The consoles will get incredibly far behind.

They are 8 core Zen2 based CPUs running at betweem 3.6GHZ~3.8GHZ. It is basically the same CPU as Renoir but at a much higher base clockspeed. Also MS have been cagey on certain optimisations on the CPU side,so it might have modifications over the client versions.

Soldato
The consoles are an 8c/16t Zen 2 clocked at 3.8ghz, basically a 3700 none X

Okay then but the same logic applies. The 5600 is faster than a 3700.

Just because the consoles have 8 cores doesn't mean we need 12 cores to play games at higher settings. Each CPU generation will put the consoles more and more behind each year.

In 3 or 4 years, the consoles will still have their Zen 2.

Soldato

It might not be,as the games will be coded to take advantage of all the cores,and the engines will take inter-CCX latency into account.

Another thing,is some of the stuff such as I/O and sound are being handled by dedicated SOCs,unlike in PCs which offload some of it to the CPU.

Just look at what has been capable on Atom class CPUs in the previous generation(HZD being an example). PC has to brute force things.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

Just because the consoles have 8 cores doesn't mean we need 12 cores to play games. Each CPU generation will put the consoles more and more behind each year.

I know, not disputing that fact, just pointing out they were 8 cores that's all!

And I agree we wont be needing 12 cores for gaming for a long while yet, especially if you're not running much else when you game. I literally only have the game running when I game, everything else gets closed.

Soldato
Its kind of funny how AMD fans were saying buy a Ryzen 7 3700X over a Core i5 10600K,even though ST performance and gaming performance was less,because it had more cores and more MT performance.

Intel fans were saying MT performance and more cores was not important,but ST performance and gaming performance. Now,the tables are turned,it seems AMD fans are saying ST and gaming performance is more important than more cores. Now Intel Cometlake and Zen2 have more cores for the same price when compared to Zen3,but lower per core performance. So it looks like the arguments will now invert until Intel beats AMD again in ST and gaming performance.

Edit!!

Also another thing.

ac627d7a-374d-4bf1-81df-acc6368c1850.jpg

AMD is basically stating a Ryzen 5 5600X has 13% more performance than a Core i5 10600K(they state both cost the same and the Ryzen 5 5600X has 13% more gaming performance).

The problem with this is that they ignored the cheaper KF models or the fact Intel Cometlake S street pricing is much lower now. Also the Core i5 10600K/10600KF lacks thermal velocity boost,so gains more from manual overclocking than higher end Cometlake S models. We also know AMD CPUs don't gain as much from overclocking. I can see the Core i5 still being quite competitive in absolute gaming performance.

The Core i5 10600KF is currently around £230,which makes it £60~£70 cheaper than a Ryzen 5 5600X with its crappy Wraith Stealth cooler. The difference is more than enough to cover a decent CPU cooler(and still be cheaper overall).

I really hope we see the Ryzen 5 5600 non-X soon!

So the KF is about £240 average, the 5600x is about £280. So £40 difference. The K is about £250 average £30 difference. So up to you if you think the improved 13% shown for single and more for multicore is worth that premium.

With that they have as mentioned before prices their CPUs against Intelsat the dollar where the 10600k retails at $299 and the 5600x also retails at $299.

The fact that Intel is lower in UK seems to be Intel taking a hit on their conversion since they are £25 less than their 1:1 conversion rate. At $299 we should be seeing pricing around £275.

Soldato
So the KF is about £240 average, the 5600x is about £280. So £40 difference. The K is about £250 average £30 difference. So up to you if you think the improved 13% shown for single and more for multicore is worth that premium.

With that they have as mentioned before prices their CPUs against Intelsat the dollar where the 10600k retails at $299 and the 5600x also retails at $299.

The fact that Intel is lower in UK seems to be Intel taking a hit on their conversion since they are £25 less than their 1:1 conversion rate. At $299 we should be seeing pricing around £275.

AMD quoted launch prices AFAIK:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...600kf-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html

RRP of the Core i5 10600KF is $238 now. With VAT that would be around £218. The Core i5 10600KF actually starts at £230ish from a few retailers. The Core i5 10600K RRP now is $262,which is around £241.Its around £249 onwards.

Likewise if you look at the Ryzen 5 5600X RRP its $299,which should be closer to £280. Looking at the cheapest pre-order price its £290. So in both cases its around £10~£12 more than a straight conversion,and I suspect its to cover any exchange rate fluctuations.

AMD quoted RRPs,not street prices and they probably will do the same with comparisons with Zen2. You can basically get a Ryzen 9 3900 non-X in bundles for around 10% more than a Ryzen 5 5600X for example.

I have seen the Ryzen 7 3700X for as low as £250~£260 recently too.

An open question to anyone?

For me personally. The same as the 3800x and 3600x

I think around this price. I just hope they give us some more information and pricing about the Ryzen 5 5600 non-X and Ryzen 7 5700X soon. I just hope they are not waiting until Rocketlake to release them!!

Soldato
An open question to anyone?

For me personally. The same as the 3800x and 3600x

Whatever they sell at the 3800X's price point needs to perform better than the 3800X. I don't care what it's called.

Same goes for whatever they sell at the 3600X price point. I don't care what name is on the box. I want to know how much it costs and how fast it is.

Caporegime
Since we knew the price and performance of these chips people have been saying they are too expensive, ok, maybe AMD are watching, put forward an alternative price and an argument for it.

This is a very important forum, they are watching this thread, they want to know what we think.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yes anyone.... serious question too.

I was being serious lol

you would like that ..
but if they are significantly faster they will want to charge more money...

Of course its what I would like!

He asked what they should be priced at so I said what I like them to.

I only pay for something if it is a price I agree with, if it isn't I dont buy

Associate
I tend to skip few generations when buying cpu's ... so I am not really that bothered...
That's a very sensible policy in CPU & tbh in GPUs. I like to see a minimum +50% to even bother with the hassle of an upgrade (I mean CPU, mobo, maybe windows re-install) but the longer you hold out, the more you get for your money. If the 3080, had more than 10gb VRAM & was actually availble to buy at rrp, that would have made me upgrade from the 1080ti. As it is, I'll wait for the refresh or the gen after & get a bigger boost.

Rom

Rom

Associate
Going against the grain here it seems.

But I dont see the issue with prices increasing at all. I dont 'follow' tech in between builds. So maybe my perspective is different. Im certainly not dedicated to either side in the sense that im blinded.
Almost everything in life goes up, inflation is a part of life. Do AMD not have increasing costs year on year? Staff, production, property, shipping, R+D, it all goes up year on year like the rest of the world surely? They are actually offering an improvement for the extra cost are they not?

Not a great comparison, but my Council Tax went up about £20 a month this year I think. Im getting zero extra than last year for the money. TV license, Broadband, Virgin TV, mobile phones (product and line rental), car insurance, food, gas, electric, road tax. Almost anything I can think off goes up in price, almost every year. And usually you get nothing extra than you got last year!

Im eyeing up a 5900x. If its more than the 3900x was when it released, I couldnt care less, because its better?! They arent just selling me a 2020 3900x.

Associate
That's a very sensible policy in CPU & tbh in GPUs. I like to see a minimum +50% to even bother with the hassle of an upgrade (I mean CPU, mobo, maybe windows re-install) but the longer you hold out, the more you get for your money. If the 3080, had more than 10gb VRAM & was actually availble to buy at rrp, that would have made me upgrade from the 1080ti. As it is, I'll wait for the refresh or the gen after & get a bigger boost.
i tend to change gpu's more often... but now 3080 seems very tempting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom