The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
I find B hard as ****, should call it A-.

Don't track my numbers but still managed 314w 4W/KG for half an hour on a crit city race. Happy with that for October.
Tell me about it. My numbers are on an gradual upward curve since around June time, yet my results in B races certainly are not! :rolleyes:

Those crit city races are damn good for a solid 'average' kinda FTP test rather than a ramp test or such.

33mins 5.3WKG.... eurgh.
3rd place in PL TTT. 6 seconds between podium teams :(
Mega result and numbers. Some huge rides yesterday, not quite sure why people like Innsbruck so much. I hate the Legsnapper with a passion as it hurts SO much. Always seem to ride on it well though as ~1 minute power for me is pretty good.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4230097020

My segment/split times up there last night up LS actually getting 1s quicker each time. But my final one I did lead the group a little hard and possibly cause 2 of the other weaker riders to get distanced/dropped. Ooops. Still not convinced it was all me! Still I must have been feeling guilty as I eased after the aero-tuck for them and waited for lead to give the call to leave them. Had a massive solo closing effort (after the legsnapper effort) and barely made it back in! ;)

Beat our team PR by around 14s which was nice. But two A riders along (both recovering/returning) and a good B. My second TTT of the week and although a little slow, my legs where firing well and I felt good. Utterly utterly at my limit multiple times, but didn't get dropped and was even first over the line. Enjoyed it really, that's what it's all about! :D

Looks like i am joining the club, just ordered a Wahoo Kickr V5.
Congrats and good choice, what sort of lead-time? Online or LBS?

Associate
Congrats and good choice, what sort of lead-time? Online or LBS?
I had a few stock alerts setup, ended up getting it from Rutland's, it's being delivered on Monday. Now I need to decided if I use my best bike or my old Domane alu. The problem is the Domane is 10 speed so I'll need another cassette. I'm really looking forward to starting some workouts as I've always felt I've been mssing out on not doing more structured training.

Soldato
I tested this on my phone but wasn’t sure if there was a difference in models/resolution.

My dad uses an iPad to run zwift, but the screen is too small for him to see easily. You can use a lightning to HMDI conversion and then use a larger screen. My mum quite fairly won’t let him use the trainer in the house on his computer.

I tested using my iPhone SE and 32” screen at home, but the graphics were crap. I don’t know if this is; the phone being lower spec than his iPad would be, the conversion cable and/or the tv being fairly big.

If he wanted to go to say a 22-27” screen would it be acceptable to do it this way or is it going to look pants no matter what?

Soldato
I don't know this for sure of course. But based on the short supply of basically ANYTHING bike related and especially smart trainers.... I do not think there will be deals to be had. They are sold out almost everywhere for months even at RRP prices. So if you find stock I would honestly just buy one as I don't think they will be reduced/offers prior to winter kicking in this year.

I could be totally wrong! But if it was me, I'd just be getting one because they'll be impossible to get if not already impossible to get.

Don't worry about front riser. I think most of the modern direct drives are generally designed to be used without.

Do it! Silly not to get one now if you can, as mentioned!
Ordered, took me a while to find one in stock though! Will try it without a front riser and mat to begin with and see how I get on. Going to use the cassette from my back wheel for now too.

Thanks for the advice :)

Soldato
Stupid bloody dropouts. 1hr 35 in to a ra E and after a few small drop outs I lost it for a good 5 seconds on an uphill drag and get spat out with no way back on a gravel bike vs road bikes.

Garmin shows its solid so guess a new USB extension cable maybe in order. 260w for 1hr 40 with some big digs so happy with that for a morning session.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well took the plunge and going for Full Ironman Trainer-road this winter...(cheaper than a real coach) All i can say is week one OMG my legs hurt so bad after 2-3 months of just maintenance fitness.

Soldato
I had a few stock alerts setup, ended up getting it from Rutland's, it's being delivered on Monday. Now I need to decided if I use my best bike or my old Domane alu. The problem is the Domane is 10 speed so I'll need another cassette. I'm really looking forward to starting some workouts as I've always felt I've been mssing out on not doing more structured training.
Good work. I guess the bike choice really depends on how much and what type of riding you'd normally do, or expect to do over winter (taking possible lockdowns into consideration). For me I'd say put the Domane on there, it being Alu is one less thing to worry about, can also use the existing cassette on there too... Wear the older components first, then just change it when you change the chain or such. Thinking about it I do have a 6700 cassette somewhere which came on a set of wheels that I have no use for. It's probably a 25T or 28T, can check for you if interested (just cover postage and it's yours). But then if you're more likely to ride the Domane over winter (if it's not on the turbo) and never ride your summer bike during the winter months...

I tested this on my phone but wasn’t sure if there was a difference in models/resolution.

My dad uses an iPad to run zwift, but the screen is too small for him to see easily. You can use a lightning to HMDI conversion and then use a larger screen. My mum quite fairly won’t let him use the trainer in the house on his computer.

I tested using my iPhone SE and 32” screen at home, but the graphics were crap. I don’t know if this is; the phone being lower spec than his iPad would be, the conversion cable and/or the tv being fairly big.

If he wanted to go to say a 22-27” screen would it be acceptable to do it this way or is it going to look pants no matter what?
It's probably the iPhone limitation on what external screen size/resolution it can drive and also what your 32" screen supported. Unsure where you'd find the 'limit' of what the SE can do. Lightning and HDMI I'd expect at least 1080p...

Stupid bloody dropouts. 1hr 35 in to a ra E and after a few small drop outs I lost it for a good 5 seconds
Rubbish! USB extensions are a good starting point, as they're about the cheapest place to start. Next is adaptors or even using a powered USB hub.

Well took the plunge and going for Full Ironman Trainer-road this winter...(cheaper than a real coach) All i can say is week one OMG my legs hurt so bad after 2-3 months of just maintenance fitness.
Haha oooouch! Bit of a leg wakener/shock I imagine! I went from lots of endurance, 'just clocking the miles off to retain fitness' kinda riding to doing a Tuesday night race, then into a Thursday TTT. First few weeks of both HURT, but body got more used to the training load and the legs although stiff at times are really good now.

Actually did 2 TTT's last week, then being short on mileage jumped on for an hour last night, ended up in a hilly race and wondered if it was a good idea. Legs where still firing and riding really well, so rather than the spin and general leg stretch actually put in a solid session at around FTP. Including a nice PR up the Epic KOM. Result! Although another 16s and I'd make the top10 of the OCUK board...

Sold my Tacx Flow yesterday, Wahoo kickr is arriving between 11 and 1 today! Can’t wait! 20% hills!! Up from a max of 6% on the old trainer
Haha, congrats! It's not 'just' the % difference you'll 'enjoy', it's the MASSIVE change you'll notice from going from an on-wheel to a direct drive. They really are worlds apart in every aspect.

Soldato
Rubbish! USB extensions are a good starting point, as they're about the cheapest place to start. Next is adaptors or even using a powered USB hub.

I'm already using one but it's pretty old and think it's on the fritz.

I need to look at my Neo as I didn't get the shaking yesterday when offroad. Think I'm going to do some more racing over the coming weeks looking at the weather!

Soldato
Good work. I guess the bike choice really depends on how much and what type of riding you'd normally do, or expect to do over winter (taking possible lockdowns into consideration). For me I'd say put the Domane on there, it being Alu is one less thing to worry about, can also use the existing cassette on there too... Wear the older components first, then just change it when you change the chain or such. Thinking about it I do have a 6700 cassette somewhere which came on a set of wheels that I have no use for. It's probably a 25T or 28T, can check for you if interested (just cover postage and it's yours). But then if you're more likely to ride the Domane over winter (if it's not on the turbo) and never ride your summer bike during the winter months...

It's probably the iPhone limitation on what external screen size/resolution it can drive and also what your 32" screen supported. Unsure where you'd find the 'limit' of what the SE can do. Lightning and HDMI I'd expect at least 1080p...

Haha oooouch! Bit of a leg wakener/shock I imagine! I went from lots of endurance, 'just clocking the miles off to retain fitness' kinda riding to doing a Tuesday night race, then into a Thursday TTT. First few weeks of both HURT, but body got more used to the training load and the legs although stiff at times are really good now.

Actually did 2 TTT's last week, then being short on mileage jumped on for an hour last night, ended up in a hilly race and wondered if it was a good idea. Legs where still firing and riding really well, so rather than the spin and general leg stretch actually put in a solid session at around FTP. Including a nice PR up the Epic KOM. Result! Although another 16s and I'd make the top10 of the OCUK board...

Haha, congrats! It's not 'just' the % difference you'll 'enjoy', it's the MASSIVE change you'll notice from going from an on-wheel to a direct drive. They really are worlds apart in every aspect.

just done my 1st ride on the kickr! Wow! Sooooo much better! No wheel spinning when standing up, nice bike side to side movements when standing.

Associate
Thanks for the offer, but you make a good point, i can just use the current cassette since i hadn't been planning to use the Domane outside. It looks like it will be straight forward to take the bike on and off the trainer so i may stick with the good bike. It also appears the trainer is not going to turn up today, i've not received a dispatch notification from Rutland :(

Soldato
Urgh... Zwift's "TT Tune Up" programme has a really gross workout: Anaerobic Capacity Hills #2...

Having to push 1.5*FTP for 30s at 75rpm sucked a lot.

Those strength sessions work wonders!
They are absolutely horrendous but that's because they wreck you and they work. The best gains usually come from the worst suffering :)

Few years back my coach had me do 3x10mins at <75 RPM. Only like 4 mins recovery between and we worked that up to 2x15mins with 4 mins rec. For TT, they work hugely so stick with it if you have more in the plan.

Soldato
Urgh... Zwift's "TT Tune Up" programme has a really gross workout: Anaerobic Capacity Hills #2...

Having to push 1.5*FTP for 30s at 75rpm sucked a lot.

Did that one and most of the "TT Tune Up" back at the start of the year, I found a number of the sessions pretty brutal from around week4, but they got me in the best shape I've probably had to date over nearly four years of cycling for fitness. My stamina improved to the extent I could do a short Zwift race/TT or two as well as an ERG workout on the same day.

How so much has changed for me since late Feb when I finished the plan (mild Covid; long Covid symptoms; forced layoff due to lancing of large back abscess; return of long Covid symptoms since a rare highlighht up Cheddar Gorge ~6 weeks ago).

Man of Honour
Did that one and most of the "TT Tune Up" back at the start of the year, I found a number of the sessions pretty brutal from around week4, but they got me in the best shape I've probably had to date over nearly four years of cycling for fitness. My stamina improved to the extent I could do a short Zwift race/TT or two as well as an ERG workout on the same day.

How so much has changed for me since late Feb when I finished the plan (mild Covid; long Covid symptoms; forced layoff due to lancing of large back abscess; return of long Covid symptoms since a rare highlighht up Cheddar Gorge ~6 weeks ago).

Ooft... Sorry to hear it. :(

Puts my temporary suffering this morning into sharp relief!

Soldato
New USB extension turned up today. Rubbish so tried bt which stopped working last year and low and behold it's nnow working and no drop outs. Just hr issue to solve now.

Soldato
We got ranked into the top community league in Europe. Race was quicker than the Premier League race. I finished quicker than the winner of the Premier League race..... and was 17th! :o

Completely ruined. Crossed finish line and stared at the wall with no recollection of where time went for goodness knows how long. Richmond is horrific I just don't have big enough watts for Libby Hill.

Dragged some big names across to make it back to front group. Dropped a couple big names too in the bridge. Just crazy crazy. Feel like I need a week off.

Man of Honour
We got ranked into the top community league in Europe. Race was quicker than the Premier League race. I finished quicker than the winner of the Premier League race..... and was 17th! :o

Completely ruined. Crossed finish line and stared at the wall with no recollection of where time went for goodness knows how long. Richmond is horrific I just don't have big enough watts for Libby Hill.

Dragged some big names across to make it back to front group. Dropped a couple big names too in the bridge. Just crazy crazy. Feel like I need a week off.

Sounds impressive and awful at the same time! Well done!

Soldato
Absolutely brutal course, although didn't ride it tuesday it never fails to hurt me. Although I seem to ride well on it, I never feel like I 'get it right'!

Mega ride buddy, those 3 climbs at 460W - 500W - 400W then straight into a sprint. Bleurgh! :o :D

I've got the 'joy' of leading our WTRL TTT team later, but we're back in Latte this week with a bunch of new cat C riders so it could be fun... Although kinda sucks that I didn't ride tuesday so I was fresh for a big ride in Frappe... Doh! Need to get on and do something more/big as weekend looks a write off for riding outside too. Grr!

I need to look at my Neo as I didn't get the shaking yesterday when offroad.
Does it still shake when self powered? Or is it only the downhill motor which doesn't work when self?

just done my 1st ride on the kickr! Wow! Sooooo much better! No wheel spinning when standing up, nice bike side to side movements when standing.
Welcome! And people say you don't need a direct drive...! ;)

i've not received a dispatch notification from Rutland :(
Sure hope that's all sorted now! :o

New USB extension turned up today. Rubbish so tried bt which stopped working last year and low and behold it's nnow working and no drop outs. Just hr issue to solve now.
Haha, it can get a bit like that sometimes - solve things 1 after the other... Then you think all sorted, until a few weeks later something else goes stupid. #zwift :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom