The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Associate
I hate the naming convention of the monogatari ones, I saw a couple / few seasons of it I think before I actually started keeping an excel file for shows and I don't think I was watching them in order just whatever I came across and so now I've got no idea what I have and haven't seen and with the weirdness of the show it's hard to recognise them, so it's one of the few good shows I've just given up on just because it'd be a pain to sort through.

Soldato
Taken from: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/hwuntw/the_monogatari_series_2020_watch_order/

I am up to 5). now :D

Looks a bit daunting but just start with Bakemonogatari and work from there, so far I am glad there is more to watch than just a couple of seasons.

hueg5ujz8qc51.png

Soldato
Yup!, It's Inosuke from Demon Slayer!

Yup, seen Garden of Words, that garden is real too but I’ve never been (It's Shinjuku Gyoen). I've also seen Weathering with You. Your Name still his best work. I’ve been to an exhibition of his though. It was all last minute, it was like the day before last that I leave.

I was taking the metro somewhere and got out the wrong stop, saw a poster that says Makoto Shinaki Exhibition at the Tokyo Exhibition Hall? I looked at the date, looked at the time....ooh, it's today, googled where it was, ooooh I am only 20mins away, ooo I have time today! Off I went. They had original notebooks, his desk with his PC that he built Voice of a Distant Star on.

Very cool! almost fated :)

What else of his is worth watching? I think as you said Your Name is his best film so far, but I heard good things about 5CM per second too.

I don't think Weathering with You is meant to be as good as Your Name but I hope it's still a visually great film if nothing else.

Caporegime
You know, they keep mentioning Monogatari on Trash Taste and I had no idea what they were on about...now I know. Just done episode 1, not sure what I make of the art style, the world seems to be devoid of people and there are a lot of quick cuts between still images rather than actual animation. Lots of Dutch angles, random closeups of random things, really quick split second images with text on them that I am not sure if I should pause to read.

Caporegime
Very cool! almost fated :)

What else of his is worth watching? I think as you said Your Name is his best film so far, but I heard good things about 5CM per second too.

I don't think Weathering with You is meant to be as good as Your Name but I hope it's still a visually great film if nothing else.

Weathering with you is like mixing Garden With Words and Your Name. It’s his best looking anime (the rain drops and water effect is almost real) there are hints of Your Name in plot but it doesn’t hit the same height. I quite like 5cm per second, it’s more rough in terms of animation but I like it, it’s also quite short.

Oh, I recall there was a real life shoe that they made from Garden Of Words in the exhibition! the main protagonist wanted to be a shoe designer.

Soldato
You know, they keep mentioning this show on Trash Taste and I had no idea which one...now I know. Just done episode 1, not sure what I make of the art style, the world seems to be devoid of people and there are a lot of quick cuts between still images rather than actual animation. Lots of Dutch angles, random closeups of random things, really quick split second images with text on them that I am not sure if I should pause to read.

I don't think you should pause to read them personally, I haven't done and I'm still able to follow it.

It's quite dialogue heavy as a show, and as you said not filled with lots of people. There is a central core of characters but it does a good job of not introducing them all at once.

I'd say stick with for at least a few episodes see if it gels with you.

Soldato
Started Re:Zero btw all, finished first 8 episodes.

Really good so far, it has a habit of blindsiding you when you least expect it, and I'm still trying to work out what is going on/the motives of the different characters.

Don't intend to zoom through it in a hurry, instead I'll probably watch some each day :)

Associate
Started Re:Zero btw all, finished first 8 episodes.

Really good so far, it has a habit of blindsiding you when you least expect it, and I'm still trying to work out what is going on/the motives of the different characters.

My opinions of the characters in that one also tends to flip-flop quite a bit ... but Otto is my favourite, Rem's not bad either.

Soldato
Been about a week since my last post in here.

From what I was watching:

Monogatari - Marching onwards, I have 2 episodes left to go before I have finished the "second series" arcs.
Konosuba - Finished. Good fun show :)
Railgun - Pausing for now. It wasn't bad but a bit slow maybe? Seem to have reached filler episodes. There are better things to see from my lists. Apparently Season 2 picks up so may just skip the filler and try that sometime.
RE:Zero - Almost at the end of Season 1. Watching directors cut versions so each episode I have is like double length, does make just watching one episode less likely however.

Started since then:

Madoka Magika - I can tell that Madoka Magika is made by the same people that made Monogatari as the scene art style is similar, but the character animation is totally different. The pacing is good with reveals and progression, each episode answers some questions, raises some more in turn though!
Hinamatsuri - This is just dumb fun, with shenanigans going on, but it can get serious when it wants to. Worth checking out for people that don't want anything plot heavy, but like a bit of stupid humour.

Planning to start Shield Hero soon, maybe when I hit the end of Season 1 RE:Zero.

@Raymond Lin did you try any more Monogatari? It's probably not for everyone so no worries if it wasn't your thing. For me I found it only improved as I went through it, and 1 episode wasn't enough to judge it on.

Caporegime
@Raymond Lin did you try any more Monogatari? It's probably not for everyone so no worries if it wasn't your thing. For me I found it only improved as I went through it, and 1 episode wasn't enough to judge it on.

Not yet, I actually not watched any anime for a week but I will keep watching...mostly because Senjōgahara is Gigguk's No.1 Wifu (until Rent-a-girlfriend) so I am curious as to why more than anything!

Associate
Konosuba
Hinamatsuri

Konosuba is one of my favourites ... it's weird that I dislike harem anime, ecchi anime and ones with fanservice ... and there's all those kind of elements in it, but it's just so damn funny that it pulls it off and I can't help but laugh my way through each episode, even when Kazuma is being a little creep just because of the funny look on his face.
Hinamatsuri is the exact same kind of show to me, it might be even funnier and the entire premise is gold.

If you like shows like that then maybe not quite of the same quality (but still excellent), and without such fantastical premise ... but Asobi Asobase makes me laugh in just the same kind of way as those 2 above.

Soldato
Not yet, I actually not watched any anime for a week but I will keep watching...mostly because Senjōgahara is Gigguk's No.1 Wifu (until Rent-a-girlfriend) so I am curious as to why more than anything!

He is clearly a man of culture! :D

Oh @Raymond Lin before I forget, I watched Weathering with You. I agree it looked great, story not quite up to Your Name standard, but still more than acceptable for this type of thing, and the visuals help to elevate it.

Konosuba is one of my favourites ... it's weird that I dislike harem anime, ecchi anime and ones with fanservice ... and there's all those kind of elements in it, but it's just so damn funny that it pulls it off and I can't help but laugh my way through each episode, even when Kazuma is being a little creep just because of the funny look on his face.
Hinamatsuri is the exact same kind of show to me, it might be even funnier and the entire premise is gold.

If you like shows like that then maybe not quite of the same quality (but still excellent), and without such fantastical premise ... but Asobi Asobase makes me laugh in just the same kind of way as those 2 above.

I shall bear in mind, I'm trying not to overwhelm my list of unwatched things too much, so I'll probably come back to this in a bit as I have quite a few things somewhat lined up.

As long as there is some kind of story/progression I'm usually happy, I learnt from trying Nichijou (wasn't one I got on with) that episodic stuff isn't for me, I need a bit of a plot even if it isn't in-depth or twisty. I like seeing how characters progress and change over the course of the episodes.

I was considering Gintama at some point but I found out recently that is episodic, so not sure if it's one I really want to commit to.

Last edited:
Associate
I was considering Gintama at some point but I found out recently that is episodic, so not sure if it's one I really want to commit to.

Gintama was another one that I greatly enjoyed, but it might not be your thing ... it's like hundreds of dumb gag episodes with an occasional story arc teasing you about his backstory and things ... then suddenly at the end you get non-stop action and answers and awesomeness for a couple seasons ... but like I said you'd have to get through all the ones where they spend the entire episode fighting over a hotpot to try and get the best meaty bits - which to me was hilarious and where my username comes from, but might not be for you.

Commissario
OP
I just watched the Love Live Movie courtesy of Screen Anime/ATA and it's really fun, tinged a bit with sadness as the characters get ready to do what they'd talked about at the end of the second season, but such fun, I was sat through most of it with a huge grin on my face just enjoying it.

The way it's laid out also makes it feel very much like a classic western/hollywood musical.

I guess I'm going to have to cave and get Love Live Sunshine at some point now, so I can watch that as well:p

Soldato
Depressed ... should be in Tokyo now and for the next three weeks. Instead I'm at home revising for a professional exam next week.

Currently working my was through Demon Slayer and will probably re-watch Konosuba after that.

Back
Top Bottom